Warner Bros. Buys Turbine

Logan Westbrook

Transform, Roll Out, Etc
Feb 21, 2008
Warner Bros. Buys Turbine

Media giant Warner Bros. has acquired MMO developer Turbine.

Warner Bros. has added another developer to its collection. Turbine, creators of Lord of the Rings Online and Dungeons & Dragons Online, is the most recent addition to the Warner Bros. family, joining the likes of Rocksteady and TT Games.

The acquisition means that Warner Bros. now holds all the rights to make Lord of the Rings videogames, as Turbine had managed to hold on to the rights to the MMO after Warner Bros. got the license from EA.

Home entertainment group president Kevin Tsujihara called the move "a strong strategic fit", saying: "Turbine's renowned online game development and publishing expertise will help us develop additional online product offerings, while also providing us with new and innovative ways to market and communicate with our consumers."

Source: 1up [http://www.1up.com/do/newsStory?cId=3178914]

oppp7

Aug 29, 2009
I haven't really seen anything from WB for years and years. I know they run a channel and all, but when I read this all I could think about was the Animaniacs in an MMO setting.

Mumorpuger

This is a...!
Apr 8, 2009
I'm particularly excited about this, but the official thread on the LOTRO forums has a lot of doom-and-gloomers.

Seems a lot of them feel that it's the beginning of the end- WB will think Turbine isn't making enough money and shut it down. (I think they've been bricked in the head.)

Others are worried that the game will move away from the lore and become Peter-Jacksonified, which I don't feel will happen, since Turbine has been fairly good about sticking to the original stories, aside from obvious concessions needed to make a mumorpuger work.

However, if Turbine decided to replace the in-game NPCs with the likenesses and voices of the movie cast, I would probably die of excitement.

Running around with Ian McKellen and crew would be amazing!

Onyx Oblivion

Borderlands Addict. Again.
Sep 9, 2008
Aura Guardian said:
Onyx Oblivion said:
Aura Guardian said:
Onyx Oblivion said:
Cool with me. Don't they also own the F.E.A.R. license?
Yes they do.
Have they owned it the whole time, or just since FEAR 2?
Since F.E.A.R. 2 I believe
I liked F.E.A.R. 2, I am just worried about the change of devs for FEAR 3...Oh well. I think this partnership will work just fine with Turbine, after all. They obviously don't take games lightly.

xpacerx

Feb 25, 2009
the also acquired Rocksteady Studios not to long ago. looks like Warner Bros. are making a hardcore push for the gaming market

Delusibeta

Reachin' out...
Mar 7, 2010
xpacerx said:
the also acquired Rocksteady Studios not to long ago. looks like Warner Bros. are making a hardcore push for the gaming market
Didn't they buy out 5th Cell (the Scribblenauts devs) as well?

Tip to WB: Take down DDO's Offer Wall, because it's a scam. Scratch that, Turbine noticed the wall o' hate about it.

Billion Backs

Apr 20, 2010
Interesting.

No longer a LOTRO player, still play some occasional D&D Online.

I guess we'll see where it takes Turbine. They seem like decent company to me, I've played a good portion of what they did before.

Novaova

Feb 2, 2010
Kevin Tsujihara: "Turbine's renowned online game development and publishing expertise will help us develop additional online product offerings, while also providing us with new and innovative ways to market and communicate with our consumers."

-- easily the most soul-less piece of business-speak I've read today. This is a bad sign.

RedFox042

May 25, 2009
oppp7 said:
I haven't really seen anything from WB for years and years. I know they run a channel and all, but when I read this all I could think about was the Animaniacs in an MMO setting.
just as long as I get to play as Pinky we'll be all good!

WastedHero

Jan 14, 2009
I wonder how many people that worked on Asheron's Call are still at Turbine. It's been around 10 years, have they gotten to 100% turnover yet or is there still some old holdout developer that remembers the days of monthly content updates and zoneless MMORPG's.

I hope so.

Sethzard

Megalomaniac
Dec 22, 2007
Country
United Kingdom
This might be interesting, It could mean a batman MMO, and that would probably be pretty awesome.

Jared

The British Paladin
Jul 14, 2009
Intresting...well, heres hoping they dont do to Turnbine what Activision did to IW..

fix-the-spade

Feb 25, 2008
Well, either this will be good for Turbine.
Or their reputation for taking care of customers is about to get flushed.

We shall see...