Bungie May Return to Halo

Logan Westbrook

Transform, Roll Out, Etc
Feb 21, 2008
Bungie May Return to Halo

Bungie might not be making any new Halo games any time soon, but it's not ready to completely close the door on the series just yet.

Halo: Reach [http://www.gamestop.com/Catalog/ProductDetails.aspx?product_id=75976] might be the Bungie's last Halo game for now, but it might not be its last Halo game ever, at least not according to lead multiplayer designer Lars Bakken.

"As far as right now, currently, yes. [Reach] is our last Halo Bungie game," Bakken said. "Now, in the future, who knows? You can never say never, because things change. Maybe ten years down the line we decide to make another Halo game, but for right now, yes, this is it for us."

Bungie has previously been unwilling to say definitively whether Reach was its final game in the series, and while it isn't exactly deluging us with information, it is at least being more specific with its non-committal responses.

Halo: Reach is released this Fall for Xbox 360.

Source: VG247 [http://www.vg247.com/2010/04/21/bungie-may-do-another-halo-ten-years-down-the-line/]

Cherry Cola

Your daddy, your Rock'n'Rolla
Jun 26, 2009
*gasp* They might continue making games for a successful franchise?

I totally did not see this coming!

Gaming King

Apr 9, 2010
Hubilub said:
*gasp* They might continue making games for a successful franchise?

I totally did not see this coming!
I know, right?

As long as they have a rabid fanbase, they'll make tons of money off of Halo. As long as they're making tons of money, they'll keep making Halo.

GodKlown

Dec 16, 2009
It is hard to say. While Halo was a good three games, excluding Wars and ODST, unless they really start to focus on a prequel version of the game, they are pretty well screwed from creating anything really "new" for Halo. Unless Master Chief is going to become the Mario of Xbox, wherein he'll get a brother and a dinosaurish sidekick and be followed around by a rogue member of the Flood... and he'll have to go back in time, find his brother, or eventually turn to paper or go into the galaxy to wear new outfits.
Seriously... don't let this happen. Once the Halo live-action movie comes out, it might all but destroy any sense of credibility that Halo might still have.

Monshroud

Evil Overlord
Jul 29, 2009
I love how they phrase it. "This is the last Halo game for now." The problem is that 'now' is subjective in a way. Tomorrow is not now, so tomorrow they could decide to make another one.

Because every Halo fan (including me) wants to see the opening of Halo 4 with Cortana saying 'Wake Up Chief, we need you!'

I really don't think they will wait 10 years to make another Halo game. I would say around 2012 or 2013 we will have another...

Legion

Were it so easy
Oct 2, 2008
I don't see why not. It's a popular franchise, and compared to a lot of them, it has relatively few games.

I am not that excited about Reach though, so that's not to say I would particularly want to play it.

Coliumbos

Mar 15, 2010
Dear god, Bungie making another Halo game? Wow.
I would have hardly expected such a bold unknown move by the very company fed like the demons of Gluttony on the earnings made from Halo and its spinoffs.

Till they make a new canon game which follows from Halo 3, I personally don't care.

Newkenyanguy

Mar 28, 2010
why kill a cash cow if it still isnt dry yet? oh yes deffiently more to come =/

he already has a sidekick that freak of an alien abitur ( is that right? i never liked dem elites)

oppp7

Aug 29, 2009
I'm glad they're stopping the franchise before it gets stale. I like Halo and I'd like to see it stay good in my memories. Nevertheless, I'll miss the series.

TylerC

Nov 12, 2008
I thought 343 Industries was handling Halo for now, after Bungie split from Microsoft. At least Frank O'Connor is on their team.

I'm sick of hearing people say they're milking the franchise, but you never hear, "Stop milking Mario!" or Call of Duty, (World of) Warcraft. Seriously, there are over 200 games Mario has appeared in. TWO HUNDRED. Master Chief has appeared in 3. Yeah, there are a few other halo games, (2) and this will be the third, and one of them was an RTS.

http://www.escapistmagazine.com/news/view/100024-25-World-of-Warcraft-Mount-Launches-on-Blizzard-Store MOAR MILK!!! MOAR MONEY!!!

UberNoodle

Apr 6, 2010
Well, you spend years developing and fleshing out a great universe of characters and intrigue, only to throw it out? There is no reason why Halo should be gotten rid of any more than something like, dare I say it, Star Wars. The effects of the secretions of one's anti-halo gland aside, one has to acknowledge that the universe of Halo has great potential.

Dyp100

Jul 14, 2009
Oh hey look, people hating on Bungie for making a popular game.

Yeah, I doubt Halo will be there next two games, Reach is gonna be the last for about 10 years, I bet.

Wait, didn't we already have this story when Brian said it?