Infinity Ward Bonuses to be "Redistributed"

Andy Chalk

One Flag, One Fleet, One Cat
Nov 12, 2002
Infinity Ward Bonuses to be "Redistributed"

Activision rep Dan Amrich says the "very large bonuses" owed to former Infinity Ward [http://www.infinityward.com/] heads Jason West and Vince Zampella will be redistributed to the studio's remaining employees who "didn't allegedly attempt to steal company secrets."

There's been a very interesting conversation taking place in the "Activision's [http://www.facebook.com/group.php?gid=174058223611] "Social Media Manager," decided to set the record straight about a lot of what's been going with the Infinity Ward debacle. He offers up some very interesting opinions and information, not least of which is the fact that the bonuses owed to West and Zampella will instead be divvied up among the employees who still remain at the studio - and who didn't engage in any kind of corporate hanky-panky.

"Vince and Jason had very large bonuses; those bonuses are being redistributed to everybody else, to the people who did not allegedly attempt to steal company secrets," he wrote. "Activision is not pocketing that bonus money; it's still going to the people who work at IW. But you have to work at IW to get it, see? :) I don't want to see talented people screwed out of a paycheck any more than you do."

He also suggested that much of the intense anger being focused toward Activision has more to do with a strong dislike of CEO Bobby Kotick's style than anything the company has actually done. "I really do believe it's the stuff Bobby has said that either came out wrong or was taken wrong," he continued. "I think the comments about 'skepticism and pessimism and fear' and 'taking the fun out of video games' are the flashpoints." And while he wishes that Kotick wouldn't "shoot from the hip" quite so much, he added that a lot of what the CEO says, is "willfully misinterpreted."

Will Amrich's initiative do anything to smooth the waters? A few people have responded positively to his entry into the fray, while others appear put off by his seemingly cavalier attitude about denying former Infinity Ward employees their bonuses; most, however, are just venting about whatever it is Activision's done recently to piss them off personally. I don't expect many hearts or minds to change but props to the man for his willingness to walk into the lion's den. See the show for yourself (it's actually a really good read) on Facebook [http://www.facebook.com/topic.php?uid=174058223611&topic=14085#topic_top].

Jack and Calumon

Digimon are cool.
Dec 29, 2008
Okay, now this is just turning into a little kid's version of Discrimination.

Jack: Ohh! I know, I'll get you all presents!

Calumon: YAY!

Jack: Oh, not you. You haven't spent enough time with me today and I've seen you with that other kid rather than me, but I'll buy everyone else some!

Calumon: *Sniff* [sub]Meanie...[/sub]

Rainboq

Elite Member
Nov 19, 2009
Le Tueur said:
Anyone else feel like this is just an excuse to bribe remaining employees to you know, not quit?
You took the words right out of my mouth

Dectilon

Sep 20, 2007
You know, in theory we're supposed to get more mature after taking certain steps in life. There's the basics like getting past puberty, but there's also the increased sense of maturity that you're expected to show as you become part of a superstructure like a company, or even representing your country or the world for some reason or another.

It's obvious everyone is a big baby fighting other babies in a sand box. We just use fancier language as we accuse the others of throwing sand first while still other babies cheer us on.

Seriously, fuck humanity

GRoXERs

Feb 4, 2009
Catkid906 said:

Jack: Oh, not you. You haven't spent enough time with me today and I've seen you with that other kid rather than me, but I'll buy everyone else some!

Can I just say you two are adorable and leave it at that?

OT: I think that's a good way of handling this whole debacle. I mean, it doesn't matter whether or not there was any corporate foul play at this point; it's really a matter of, can Activision salvage what's left of the biggest breadwinning studio ever? I can definitely see where Activision is coming from here, is all I'm saying... and there's nothing illegal about denying people bonuses that are promised to them by a contract they themselves have broken.

Simalacrum

Resident Juggler
Apr 17, 2008
I still don't like Activision.

Nevermind the IW debacle.

Nevermind what Bobby Kotick said and hasn't said.

The fact remains that they still made MW2 $10 more expensive than most games, and made people pay WAY too much for the new map pack.

Price is all I care for, my man!

rembrandtqeinstein

Sep 4, 2009
To the kids reading this site here is some advice: Never work for a public company. The stockholders would happily kill you and harvest your organs if it would increase the quarterly returns by a 10th of a percent.

oppp7

Aug 29, 2009
I honestly don't have a problem with Kotick. Maybe I don't know enough about the issues, but that fun out of video games statement seemed like a joke that people spazzed out over(as per usual).

Still, it sounds like he's just getting back at the people who left, playing it off as a small and unimportant occurance.

Doug

Apr 23, 2008
This honestly depends on if the guys who got fired by Activison's heavies where actually in the wrong or not. Whilst I'm more likely to assume Activison is in the wrong, given their run by evil, I will allow for the possibly the IW people where in the wrong, given they seem like occasional arseholes.

Mr. Amrich's comments trying to smooth the water do seem nice, but they don't hide the fact that Activison are evil - from attempting to stop Brutal Legend's release, to pumping out sequel after sequel, to just being arses in general, its clear Activison only cares what we think about them because their afraid it'll scare people off of buying Guitar Hero 16: We're royally screwed if we can't find more songs Edition. (though they have apparently abandoned that one)

Anywho, back to my original point - if the IW's where in the wrong to begin with, I strongly suspect its just an attempt to keep as much of the IW team who made MW2 around as possible. If the IW people weren't wrong, then this is just them being dickheads.

Cherry Cola

Your daddy, your Rock'n'Rolla
Jun 26, 2009
Andy Chalk said:
"I don't want to see talented people screwed out of a paycheck any more than you do."
But that's exactly what you are doing. You are denying people the money you owe them.

And what Kotick says is "Willfully misinterpreted"? Not really, it's just Kotick who is incompetent when it comes to talking about his business plans.

fix-the-spade

Feb 25, 2008
Somehow I can't see this announcement doing anything else than causing more legal shenanigans.

It also adds precisely no credability to Activision's insistance they didn't fire the pair of them just to avoid giving out bonuses. Oh well, it'll all come out in court eventually, or someone will go down for perjury.

Therumancer

Citation Needed
Nov 28, 2007
The thing that gets my attention is that this includes the very specific accusation about "Trade Secrets" and the theft/sale thereof being involved.

Redistributing the money strikes me as a nice thing, but ultimatly a smokescreen, and does nothing to address the issue of the thuggist termination of two rather popular corperate leaders who produced some very popular and high selling products.

For all I know Activision could be justified if they are telling the truth about the "Trade Secrets" thing, after all in their place I'd do the same thing. However they are going to be a lot more specific in their accusation if they want my sympathy (or I'd imagine most of the public) on that ground. Otherwise it sounds like them just talking cr@p because really it doesn't seem that Infinity Ward's leadership had anything to gain by doing this even if it was true (that would have to be explained).

BlackStar42

Jan 23, 2010
Catkid906 said:

You sir, are awesome.

Sight Unseen

The North Remembers
Nov 18, 2009
Doug said:
Mr. Amrich's comments trying to smooth the water do seem nice, but they don't hide the fact that Activison are evil - from attempting to stop Brutal Legend's release, to pumping out sequel after sequel, to just being arses in general, its clear Activison only cares what we think about them because their afraid it'll scare people off of buying Rock Band 16: We're royally screwed if we can't find more songs Edition.
Rock Band is published by MTV games under Viacom, and have nothing to do with activision. It's Guitar Hero that's the activision-owned game that they've already milked to the last drop and then left to die. (only 1 game coming out this year, after which Neversoft, the developping studio, is getting dissolved)

Rock band is the good one made by the people who aren't pure evil.

OT: It's a nice statement by the activision guy, makes them seem slightly more human and less pure evil, but my opinion on the matter hasn't changed, and I'll be happy to see the day that Activision goes bankrupt and Kotick goes to jail for something....anything...

Gaderael

Apr 14, 2009
Um, was it in their contracts that they'd be getting bonuses? If so, it's still their money, and Activision owes it to them. Whether or not they still work there, they made the money for Activision, they are owed it.

I also agree with others here who have said that the redistribution of the money to other employees is just a ploy to keep them from quitting.

Jared

The British Paladin
Jul 14, 2009
Well, it is nice to see that the people who actually earned the money will still get the money, and, a little bit more!

Suppose one good thing they have done so far

Andy Chalk

One Flag, One Fleet, One Cat
Nov 12, 2002
Simalacrum said:
The fact remains that they still made MW2 $10 more expensive than most games, and made people pay WAY too much for the new map pack.
I don't think they actually made people pay anything for the map pack. And as for the MW2 price, if it's too high, don't pay it.

Activision has the right to charge whatever they want for their games. Kotick could take a dump in a box and put a $200 price tag on it if he wants. I recognize that Acti has done a lot to rub people the wrong way but I don't think pricing should be considered one of them.