Myst Coming to the DS

Andy Chalk

One Flag, One Fleet, One Cat
Nov 12, 2002
Myst Coming to the DS

Myst [http://www.empireinteractive.com/] will be coming to the Nintendo DS, along with an all-new Age and other enhancements.

The game will feature an original soundtrack, remastered video and the Rime Age, which was not included in the original release. Game control will be handled via the stylus, while the system's dual screen will be used to provide additional information to the player, with the upper screen showing information and magnified images, while the lower screen is used to navigate through the game world. New tools available to players will include a magnifier, camera, notebook and map.

"As one of the strongest videogame franchises in history, with more than 12 million games sold, we felt it was only natural to partner with Cyan Worlds [http://www.hoplite-research.com/]to bring Myst to an innovative system like the DS," said Empire Interactive Vice President Karim Farghaly. "The DS addition to the Myst game library allows players to take advantage of new features created exclusively for the DS, while still maintaining the integrity of this classic game, creating a refreshed, on-the-go adventure experience for gamers of all ages."

Developed by brothers Rand and Robyn Miller and first released in 1993, Myst was the best-selling game of all time prior to the release of MMOG [http://thesims.ea.com/]. It also led to a surge in puzzle-based first-person adventure games commonly referred to, often derisively, as "Myst clones."

Rjak

Oct 18, 2007
This might be a chance for a new generation to discover how *BORING* it was and to start up a whole new set of discussions about why this boring piece of crap is so popular (just like what happened when it was originally released).

If you are one of the learned, superior people who found it as pointless and boring as I did, be prepared for people telling you how stupid you are for not liking it ... how you are a bombastic fool with no appreciation of subtlety or story or oh-so-clever puzzles.

The Myst people are the flip-side of the coin that the Halo people are on.

REDPill357

Jan 5, 2008
Rjak said:
This might be a chance for a new generation to discover how *BORING* it was and to start up a whole new set of discussions about why this boring piece of crap is so popular (just like what happened when it was originally released).
Ah. Okay. The guys from id didn't like it, so maybe it's not that great.

Lord_Ascendant

Jan 14, 2008
Myst was an amazing game with the most immersing stories I have ever seen. It still stays one of my top ten games, just below Guild Wars and World in Conflict. I have played every game and beaten all of them, it will be a great way to get people to stop playing brain age and start learning how to solve deadly puzzles inside of a book.

If the DS needs any classic gameplay it needs Myst. Hopefully Riven, Exile, Revelation, and End of Ages will follow......

Arbre

Jan 13, 2007
Okay... so even if you're a Myst fan, and this is a Must... just how the hell putting it on the DS is going to make the graphics look cool?
It's prerendered but... still...

Andy Chalk

One Flag, One Fleet, One Cat
Nov 12, 2002
Rjak said:
Myst isn't for everyone, obviously. Neither is Halo, which I happen to think was a half-baked turd of a second-rate FPS. Both of us are very much in the minority in our respective opinions, so even though I think you're completely wrong I can (sort of, almost) see where you're coming from.

That said, for those who haven't had the chance to experience Myst (and who own a DS), this is a great opportunity to do so. In its day, Myst was a stunning technological achievement and possibly the most sublimely beautiful game ever created. The game was almost entirely pre-rendered, there was no action and minimal interaction, and support for the player was minimal - there wasn't even a real manual included. But it was revolutionary and magical, and even now remains one of the finest examples of puzzle-based adventures you're going to find. I don't usually like to pimp the products I post news about, but if I had a DS I'd be all over this.

Chimaera

Niche Game Fangirl
Oct 28, 2005
Well, I have a DS, so I will be sure to enjoy it on your behalf Malygris! :)

Melaisis

Dec 9, 2007
Ironic now, considering that they're shutting down the MMOG due to what? 'Financial reasons'?

Let's hope this gets the franchise up on its feet again.

mitsoxfan

Feb 12, 2008
No-brainer. Rehashing the most best-selling, greatest, worst game ever. At the time, it was the height of pre-rendered puzzle solving, pre-rendered adventuring, and pre-rendered pre-rendering. It even pre-rendered it's own sales figures!

Certainly worth a play through if you've never experienced it. I'll withhold my many critiques (the main one being that sales of a game only relates to the success of a game in a financial sense, something the makers of Myst never fully realized) of the game only to say that 1993 was a significant year in gaming history, and definitely worth revisiting in all aspects.

Spinwhiz

Oct 8, 2007
If you like puzzle type games, this game is awesome. It took me about 16 hours to complete and solve all the puzzles when it first came out. I think my father is still trying to complete it. lol Anywho, I greatly enjoyed it even though I felt like putting my fist through the screen in frustration sometimes.

krysalist

Aug 22, 2007
Oi, don't bother with the likes of Myst. Hack your DS to run ScummVM [http://scummvm.drunkencoders.com/] and play some real adventure games instead.

mitsoxfan

Feb 12, 2008
krysalist said:
Oi, don't bother with the likes of Myst. Hack your DS to run ScummVM [http://scummvm.drunkencoders.com/] and play some real adventure games instead.
Karma +1

felltablet

Nov 12, 2007
So can anyone who is a fan explain the appeal of Myst, not its sequels, but the original.
I remember playing it 1993-1995...
I was five-seven.
I didn't understand the relation the puzzles held with real concepts and just thought success was based on random events.
I was unable to find the connection I needed, albeit I was five, but still thought it was a presentation of illogical enigmas based on luck.

So can you give me an example of a puzzle from the game that has a strategic appeal?