Industry Vet Says Pre-Teens Make the Best Testers

Tom Goldman

Crying on the inside.
Aug 17, 2009
Industry Vet Says Pre-Teens Make the Best Testers

If you're under the age of ten, the head of Traveler's Tales wants to offer you a job.

Jonathan Smith, the head of production at Lego game developer Traveler's Tales, believes that the videogame playing youth is the best source for determining the quality of a product. Speaking with Official Nintendo Magazine [http://www.officialnintendomagazine.co.uk/], Smith detailed why he looks more to pre-teens than typically jaded adults.

"They are the most efficient quality filter," Smith said specifically of children around the age of eight. "They get to it quicker than anybody else, because they'll just say if something doesn't work. The smallest things could ruin something, and they'll get bored and move on."

"Grown-ups look at games differently," he continued. "Adults kind of forget what it is to play a game some of the time. Every time an eight-year-old plays a game it's the most brilliant thing in the world to them." He's probably never encountered an eight-year-old during a game of Modern Warfare on Xbox Live.

Young kids do generally have a happy sense of wonder and a less jaded opinion of the world, but I wonder how much Smith's opinion is affected by the fact that he makes games targeted towards eight-year-olds. Adults also suffer from having their own money invested in a game, so they might stick with it for longer just to justify the purchase. Still, and this is probably also a problem with game reviewers, adults are definitely more affected by a lifetime of personal biases while younger kids go into things with an open mind.

I've known kids that are just as entertained by hitting a stick against a pole for four hours as they would be with a session of Lego Batman, so they might not be the best judges in all cases even with blank slate. On the other hand, maybe eight-year-olds should be testing all of our videogames. If a child starts crying and has nightmares for a month after playing Silent Hill, you would know you've got the proper amount of scary.

Via: CVG [http://www.computerandvideogames.com/article.php?id=243882]

D_987

Jun 15, 2008
This kind of thinking will no doubt produce bad games. A child of that age is only interested in the very basic gameplay, the shininess of the graphics, the ease-of-play. Perfect for games with no depth, storyline or anything that resembles an "adult" game (such as the Lego games series). Yet ultimately more "mature" games are based, or at least are hopefully based, around something more than just pick up and play gameplay - they should be based around a story, around constant improvement through smart gameplay - factors that a child of such an age wouldn't consider. He might be right in that a child might be best to judge the Lego series; after all they are the target demographic, but it's insulting to other game series to suggest the same is true for all games.

What's more, his comment that "The smallest things could ruin something, and they'll get bored and move on." supports the opposite viewpoint to that he is expressing. The fact that such a child demands such a precise experience (that they are unable to look at a games quality within a bigger picture) ensures they would make poor quality testers.

Cherry Cola

Your daddy, your Rock'n'Rolla
Jun 26, 2009
Seriously? That's what he thinks?

If you're going by this mind-set, you can't have one single remotely difficult part in your game. If you do, the kids are going to start scream and cry in anger, blaming everything on the game instead of their lack of skill.

Vitor Goncalves

Mar 22, 2010
Damn, do I sense more games turning into casual? Cause thats what it sounds to me, easy simple, quick achievements and loads of free rewards.

Onyx Oblivion

Borderlands Addict. Again.
Sep 9, 2008
Ah...then why haven't you MIXED UP THE FORMULA WITH THE FUCKING LEGO GAMES?!

They are all the damn same shit! Collect-a-thons!

JEBWrench

Apr 23, 2009
Hubilub said:
Seriously? That's what he thinks?

If you're going by this mind-set, you can't have one single remotely difficult part in your game. If you do, the kids are going to start scream and cry in anger, blaming everything on the game instead of their lack of skill.
I disagree! *drives off*

Oh, yeah, supporting argument to my disagreement.

When I was young, games were supposed to be hard. That kept you playing. So I don't buy into that you need to remove the difficult parts of the game stuff.

Evidence: Mega Man. Castlevania. Ninja Gaiden.

Jared

The British Paladin
Jul 14, 2009
I really cant see his logic...But, If they start doing that and hiring pre-teens to do testing then I can see a distinct lack of anything...

XJ-0461

Mar 9, 2009
...Yeah, for the lego games maybe.

But I don't think that an 8 year old is good if you want to have a story with lots of depth to it. At 8, my idea of a story was "bad guy is a nasty poopy head, good guy fights him cuz he doesn't like poopy heads, the good guy wins."

I don't think that this level of motives and characterisation can make for a very good game enjoyable by all.

DividedUnity

Oct 19, 2009
Id love to see them test gears of war 3 with 8 year olds just to see Fox news explode in a frenzy

DoW Lowen

Exarch
Jan 11, 2009
I wonder I'm short enough to pass for a ten year old?

I could shave, put on a cap and carry a canister full of helium when I show up for the interview.

Pimppeter2

Dec 31, 2008
'...Every time an eight-year-old plays a game it's the most brilliant thing in the world to them."

So thats why we've been getting all those ridiculously high scores.

tahrey

Sep 18, 2009
I respectfully disagree, d_987. Me & my younger brother were already well into games in the early 90s when both decidedly preteen, and we could still spot a dog of a game from some way out. Our tastes have matured slightly, but there's few titles that were "favourites" at the time that I don't still find enjoyable now.

Despite their often shallow nature, kids are more deep than you think, when you give them opportunity to express it. Our old computer did exactly that.
Plus if there were bugs to be found, we managed to find them. Just because of sheer HOURS put in and exploratory, ignoring-normal-rules styles of play.

VitusPrime

Sep 26, 2008
Younger gamers are good for testing the parts they want younger people to play. For instance...the lego games. Kids have a great tendency to do things not by the book, because older players know what to do in a FPS scenario, and kids don't different things come out of them

DeadlyYellow

Jun 18, 2008
Jeez. All they need to do now is open a day-care.

Free money AND free testers. So much for the old foot-in-the-door job.

fanklok

Legendary Table User
Jul 17, 2009
Hmmm.

I look ten right?

If this ever catches on I can see it now.

"Sir Ultra Violent Super Fun Rape Fest VII is nearing the end stages of development we need beta testers."

"I see bring in the seven year olds."

maturin

Jul 20, 2010
If this is true, then grant us that game-playing pre-teens make the worst testers. Start Mass Effect and drop it in five minutes because it isn't Halo.

Gorden Springel

Apr 3, 2010
I couldnt disagree more with this lol, when I was a kid I thought even the shittiest games were just awesome. Looking back, they really were not that good..

wooty

Vi Britannia
Aug 1, 2009
Pre-teens make the best game testers? Well, this explains why space marines and power armour seem to be the "in thing" at the moment then