The Week in Review

Logan Westbrook

Transform, Roll Out, Etc
Feb 21, 2008
The Week in Review

On this week's edition, pirates defeat assassins, and a boy tattles on comic book boobs.

<br clear=both>

Respawn Bulks Up

There have been plenty of boneheaded PR stunts, but an attempt to promote Splinter Cell: Conviction in New Zealand seemed to be trying for some kind of award. The stunt involved an actor waving a gun around in a bar and threatening people, which most people would think was a bad idea. The advertising agency involved apparently didn't, however, and had to explain to police that it was all just an act. (link [http://www.escapistmagazine.com/news/view/100072-Splinter-Cell-Stunt-Goes-Stupidly-Wrong])

Aenir

Mar 26, 2009
Do the "Week in Reviews" always go up this early?

And those guys with the Splinter Cell thing were just stupid. The actor saw nothing wrong with waving a gun and threatening people in a crowed bar???

...How would that promote the game anyway!?

Insanum

The Basement Caretaker.
May 26, 2009
Seems to be a week mainly consisting of idiocy.

Glad to see silly season is kicking in worldwide.

Dr.Susse

Lv.1 NPC
Apr 17, 2009
I'd expect a kiwi to knock him out cold before he started. But at least the game got publicity out of it.

HK_01

Jun 1, 2009
Logan Westbrook said:
The Week in Review

Splinter Cell PR Stunt Goes Predictably Wrong

There have been plenty of boneheaded PR stunts, but an attempt to promote Splinter Cell: Conviction in New Zealand seemed to be trying for some kind of award. The stunt involved an actor waving a gun around in a bar and threatening people, which most people would think was a bad idea. The advertising agency involved apparently didn't, however, and had to explain to police that it was all just an act. (link [http://www.escapistmagazine.com/news/view/100072-Splinter-Cell-Stunt-Goes-Stupidly-Wrong])

Now that's just plain stupid.

Jared

The British Paladin
Jul 14, 2009
I still canniot believe they tried to pull that stunt...such a bad...bad idea

Poomanchu745

Sep 11, 2009
Suki the Cat said:
Aenir said:
...How would that promote the game anyway!?
THIS; requires discussion!
Because the dude was supposed to get shot by the bar owner and then the news would come and inside his jacket the advertising company had secretly placed a card that says, "BUY SPLINTER CELL!" and it would be all over the news everywhere and would get some good publicity. Thats my theory anyways.

JimbobDa3rd

Sep 21, 2008
I asume that the publicity stunt involved a second person dressed as the splinter cell guy coming in in and saving the day... but he decided not to show. OR the advertising departmrnt realised doing something as stupid as that would get ALOT of press coverage in the gaming world, but they had to claim it was a mistake for legal reasons

The Rogue Wolf

Stealthy Carnivore
Legacy
Nov 25, 2007
Stalking the Digital Tundra
HK_01 said:
Logan Westbrook said:
The Week in Review

Splinter Cell PR Stunt Goes Predictably Wrong

Now that's just plain stupid.
I'd thought I'd seen everything with the "let's mail brass knuckles across state lines" bit or the whole "Sin to Win" thing the Dante's Inferno team cooked up, but this takes the cake, the bakery and the whole damn city block it's on. Is there some requirement in the advertising field that you must have your common sense surgically removed before anyone will give you a job?