Question of the Day, April 27, 2010

The Escapist Staff

Jul 10, 2006
Question of the Day, April 27, 2010

German scientists have found a way that you can talk on your cell phone, eat a hamburger and drive all at the same time. Using a a technology called eyeDriver, it's now possible for you to drive your car using just your eyes. Would you be willing to drive a car this way?

MentalBakura

Welcome To Das Oontz
Feb 21, 2009
Erm, yeah... I'll wait for mind control personally. The eyes can be distracted way too easily for that to be a safe way to drive.

Jared

The British Paladin
Jul 14, 2009
Eyes sounds like a bad idea...you look at the pretty woman on the sidewalk and you soon might be wearing her on your bonnet..

Katherine Kerensky

Why, or Why Not?
Mar 27, 2009
Not really... For a start, I don't drive.
I don't want to drive.
And using something as fallible as my eyes to steer?
No thanks.

Jandau

Smug Platypus
Dec 19, 2008
No, it is a terrible idea. It's about as useful as a gun which fires when you blink - sure, it sounds neat, but in practice it's utterly useless.

Think about it for a second, when you drive you need a fair bit of situational awareness. So you are always looking around, checking your rear view mirrors, etc. You eyes are quite busy. If their every movement is transferred into steering, not only do you need absolute focus, but you are unable to look around or away even for a second.

What is the purpose of that? Seriously, is there ONE advantage of cars that are steered by eye movement?

Eleima

Keeper of the GWJ Holocron
Feb 21, 2010
Absolutely not! I have this tendency to have my gaze flick from one mirror to the next and then in different parts of the road, in order to make sure I know everything that's going on. One of the first things I learned when I started driving was never keep a steady gaze, make sure you know everything that's going on.

So.... short answer: no.

JAY_RAD

Apr 22, 2010
No, because what if you're driving that car and you see a hot chick or your best friend. If you look at that person, they would be dead.ADHD sucks.

maddawg IAJI

I prefer the term "Zomguard"
Feb 12, 2009
That sounds awesome...although I would proably kill countless people. I look around a lot when I'm driving.

I can see it know. "Oh look a squirrel!" and then the car jumps the curb and crashes into a birthday party.

HippySecond

Jun 11, 2008
"German scientists have found a way that you can talk on your cell phone, eat a hamburger and drive all at the same time."

So your saying I can't Drive, talk on the phone and eat a burger at the sametime? Pish Thats how I roll mofo ;)

Nemu

In my hand I hold a key...
Oct 14, 2009
I don't drive NOW because other drivers terrify me, I can't imagine I'd even walk on the sidewalk were cars controlled by eyesight.

I can see it now: *driving* *driving* *driv--* Ohhhh! Look at the kitty! *crashing*

Lenny Magic

Hypochondriacal Calligrapher
Jan 23, 2009
maddawg IAJI said:
That sounds awesome...although I would proably kill countless people. I look around a lot when I'm driving.

I can see it know. "Oh look a squirrel!" and then the car jumps the curb and crashes into a birthday party.
"Oh look a po-SMASH!"

cptawesome

Nov 2, 2009
Imagine cruising along, eyes picking out the turns, when a hot girl comes running around the corner in a sports bra. i imagine the car would make an immediate swerve and hit her head on.

Hey, if she survives, you'll have a handy pick up line.

Quick Ben

Oct 27, 2008
How on earth are you supposed to use the mirrors or check your blind-zone if you drive where you look?