Has Apple Imposed a Lifetime iPad Limit?

John Funk

U.N. Owen Was Him?
Dec 20, 2005
Has Apple Imposed a Lifetime iPad Limit?

Might not want to break your iPad [http://store.apple.com/us/browse/home/shop_ipad/family/ipad]: One Internet denizen is claiming that Apple told him he had reached his "lifetime limit" on the device after buying several for friends living internationally.

Okay, right off the bat, have a disclaimer: There is no way of knowing whether any of this is true or not. All we have is the word of one blogger that this happened - it might be an embellished "the fish was this big" story, it might be an outright fabrication. Even so, it's a fairly interesting story:

A blogger at Protocol Snow [http://www.protocolsnow.com/2010/04/17/how-i-went-from-apple-store-newbie-to-lifetime-ban-in-one-week/#more-1387] claims that he has been banned from ever buying Apple's shiny new iPad again. The story according to said blogger is that he was friends with several international members of the NeoGAF gaming community who were Apple fans and intended on picking up the tablet when it was released.

However, when Apple delayed the international launch by a month, said friends panicked at the thought of having to wait four more weeks - so the Protocol Snow writer offered to buy the gadget for them and ship it overseas. However, upon returning to the store a third time (dealing with the two-at-a-time limit), he says that he learned he wasn't allowed to purchase any more iPads - ever again.

[blockquote]Me (nonchalantly) - "Is there an issue?"

He's still staring at his monitor and a few seconds pass before Guy #2 carefully says, "There is a limit to the number of iPads that customers can buy."

Me (playing dumb) - "Oh, is that right? What's the limit?"

Guy #2 - "Only 2 per customer."

Ok, so the gig is up. I stand around waiting for a bit and was preparing to leave when Guy #1 returns.

Guy #1 - "I'm sorry sir, but you have reached your lifetime limit of iPad purchases and will not be allowed to buy any more."

Me (anticipating that statement) - "Is the iPad limit per person? Per credit card? Per household?"

Guy #1 - "All I can say is that you have reached your lifetime limit."[/blockquote]

So there you have it: According to this blogger, Apple has a lifetime limit on how many iPads any one person can buy.

Questionable source aside, I'm not sure I buy this. It makes perfect sense for Apple to limit the number a person can buy at any one session: It's a new product in high demand, and they'd probably rather keep the iPads off of eBay and other auction sites if at all possible. You don't want anyone with a few dozen grand to burn sweeping into a store and buying out all the stock at once - and turning around and reselling it - right?

But a lifetime ban? Why would any company tell consumers "No, you can't buy any more of our products"? What, were they not pretentious enough for Apple? It doesn't make sense for any company, let alone one as business-savvy as the House of Jobs.

It's possible that it is true, and this is just a case of Apple coming down hard once more. More likely, though, I see one of three scenarios: 1.) The Apple Store employees perhaps didn't understand the policy; 2.) The blogger didn't understand what he was being told; 3.) It's all made up.

But, if it were true, what would it mean? I suppose that even if Apple were barring you from purchasing a new iPad, you could always send your cat to do it for you [http://www.escapistmagazine.com/news/view/99975-The-iPad-So-Simple-a-Cat-Can-Use-It].

(Via BlogTechnical [http://www.blogtechnical.com/handhelds/539/dont-break-your-ipad-apple-to-limit-number-of-ipad-purchases.html])

Hithlain

Keeper of Ying
Nov 25, 2008
Wow. Economically speaking that's just the strangest damn thing I've ever heard. I mean only being able to buy 2 at a time will deter a little of the reselling but you'll never be able to get rid of it. Unless they like.... increased production. Why is there never enough product?

Anyway, if that's true, that's a really weird policy on Apple's fault. It's like they are saying that they don't want any more of my money at a certain point.

Woodsey

Aug 9, 2009
I don't buy this - they're essentially blocking extra profit for no reason.

ItsAPaul

Mar 4, 2009
The guy was probably banned since he was going around the international release date. Man would I make fun of apple folks if this was true for everyone.

HSIAMetalKing

Jan 2, 2008
I wouldn't trust anything some kid working in an Apple store says-- it sounds like an error came up and he interpreted it as being a lifetime limit. A couple of clueless cash-register peons are hardly a credible source for any of Apple's marketing strategies.

silver wolf009

[[NULL]]
Jan 23, 2010
Why would apple do that? Economically it makes no sense and right now all that matters to them is the economy.

Simalacrum

Resident Juggler
Apr 17, 2008
Wait, what?

Thats very odd, surely such a move would be a disaster on Apple's behalf? I don't buy it. (literally, I have no intention of getting an iPad :p)

And they say 'lifetime' ban... does that mean he's not even allowed to buy (theoretical) next-gen iPads?

theklng

May 1, 2008
John Funk said:
Okay, right off the bat, have a disclaimer: There is no way of knowing whether any of this is true or not.
why bother posting it then? have the escapist articles really sunk to a tabloid low?

John Funk

U.N. Owen Was Him?
Dec 20, 2005
theklng said:
John Funk said:
Okay, right off the bat, have a disclaimer: There is no way of knowing whether any of this is true or not.
why bother posting it then? have the escapist articles really sunk to a tabloid low?
Because if true, it'd certainly be newsworthy. It's the same as reporting on rumors - take it all with a grain of salt, but consider the possibilities.

Jared

The British Paladin
Jul 14, 2009
I seriously doubt its true. It would make no sense economically, and through common sense too.

This is fake, for sure

uppitycracker

Oct 9, 2008
I bet it's just a temporary thing, while they beef up the stock with more and as we await the international release date. I'll definitely change, no doubt.

Enigmers

Dec 14, 2008
I thought the limit was like "there is a limit to how many iPads they can make before they have to stop and make something useful, like a sharp pencil you could use to stab yourself in the eye every time Steve Jobs starts acting like he's the greatest fucker on the planet."

If I worked at Apple, I wouldn't care if there was one guy who wanted a hundred thousand iPads so he could build a shack with them, all I'd care about is making sure that my product sold well enough for me to eat, sleep, and shit comfortably.

Richard Allen

Mar 16, 2010
It is true, this was reported on a few days ago. The guy was buying iPads and selling them for a markup in other countries that don't have it yet. Yea it sucks but who as an individual is actually going to buy 10 iPads?

Xanadu84

Apr 9, 2008
Not a chance. I'm 90 percent sure that the guy just misunderstood the store telling him that they are limiting iPad sales while supplies are low, and theres about a 10 percent chance it's a wild fabrication. There's no way to enforce this. Walk into your local electronics store with a prepaid card, a wad of cash, or a different credit card, maybe to a joint account. Buy the iPad. Leave. Or even get a buddy to go buy you one. There is no way to enforce this attempt to sell less product.

mad825

Mar 28, 2010
silver wolf009 said:
Why would apple do that? Economically it makes no sense and right now all that matters to them is the economy.
Why would they send 40% of third-party code developers for apps/games to their death by blocking Flash and Java?