Activision CEO Calls It Quits

John Funk

U.N. Owen Was Him?
Dec 20, 2005
Activision CEO Calls It Quits

No, not that CEO: Mike Griffith, CEO and president of Activision Publishing, has resigned from both of his positions two months before his employment contract was scheduled to expire.

Things are getting shaken up over in the world of Activision. Not only is the publishing giant fielding not one but two lawsuits [http://www.escapistmagazine.com/news/view/100310-Activision-Slapped-With-Another-Infinity-Ward-Lawsuit] borne out of the chaos at Infinity Ward, but one of its highest executives is now stepping down.

SEC filings reveal that Mike Griffith is tending his resignation as CEO and president of Activision Publishing two months before his current employment contract ends on June 30th, though he will continue to serve as vice-chairman on the board of directors of Activision Blizzard. Griffith will remain on that post for a 12-year (renewable) contract with a salary of $250,000. I wish I could resign and still collect a yearly quarter-mil.

The timing is suspicious, particularly given the troubles and tensions over at Activision, but the publisher has not offered any reason for Griffith's departure or mentioned whether it is tied to the IW affair in any way. It's hard not to see the two as related, though - could Griffith be trying to avoid getting caught in the crossfire, or is he being "asked" to step down as a potential scapegoat?

Either way, I don't think we've seen the last shakeup at Activision. Things could go either way from here ... but let's be honest, they're probably headed downhill.

(Via Gamasutra [http://www.gamasutra.com/view/news/28280/Activision_Exec_Griffith_Resigns.php])

Pingieking

Sep 19, 2009
Aww f*ck!
You managed to make and break my day in two sentences. Now I need some Kevin Butler to fix up the rest of the week.

megapenguinx

Jan 8, 2009
I got excited, then was sad.
Dammit, I had the champagne bottles all ready an everything.
Also is it just me or does anyone else think that that guitar looks photoshopped in....

Aug 25, 2009
Bobby Kotick was pleased to announce his new merger with a mister Lou Cypher in the wake of this, and says he hopes this new 'Deal' will cause his own personal fortunes to rocket, although he predicts that some of his games may become even more soulless.

When asked to comment, Mr Cypher simple growled in a language none could understand, but that brought tears of blood to the eyes of all listeners.

Armored Prayer

Mar 10, 2009
Curse you Funk and your misleading title!

Here I was thinking "Holy crap! Really?" and then I found out its the companies other CEO.

Still its an interesting article.

Elonas

Apr 16, 2009
I was so happy, then so. So sad.
But the shakeup seems pretty serious, lets hope Kotick takes a hint and gets out while he still can (probobly to make more money, but hopefully not in the gaming world).

sooperman

Partially Awesome at Things
Feb 11, 2009
megapenguinx said:
I got excited, then was sad.
Dammit, I had the champagne bottles all ready an everything.
Also is it just me or does anyone else think that that guitar looks photoshopped in....
It kinda does look Shopped, but I dunno.

Oh joy now Kotick has even more control. That's what Activision needed.

Woodsey

Aug 9, 2009
Well you certainly head-fucked me there!

To be honest I can see Activision being totally remade in virtually every aspect bar name in the next few years - they're just eating themselves alive.

SnootyEnglishman

May 26, 2009
You suck man. I had hopes that Fuhrer Kotick had finally learned things and left but no, you made some other CEO that no one even heard of until now. I had a big celebration planned and everything.

Rainboq

Elite Member
Nov 19, 2009
Looks like someone in activision divided by zero......

OT: Is anyone really surprised by this? Companies change and adapt, which is probably what Activision is doing right now.