Original God of War Creators On Alternate GoW3 Endings

John Funk

U.N. Owen Was Him?
Dec 20, 2005
Original God of War Creators On Alternate GoW3 Endings

God of War III [http://www.gamestop.com/Catalog/ProductDetails.aspx?product_id=1499] boss Stig Asmussen ended Kratos' trilogy one way, but how would the GoW1 and GoW2 directors have finished the story?

God of War's Kratos is relatively unique in the world of gaming in that each of his three primary games has been under the control of a different design lead - which makes the series' consistency all the more remarkable. God of War III was directed by Stig Asmussen, but God of War II was helmed by Cory Barlog, who had taken over the reins from God of War's director and series creator David Jaffe.

Asmussen ended the tale of Kratos in a particular way that we won't spoil here, but did the other two have their own visions on how the story should have concluded? Gamepro asked Asmussen that very question [http://www.gamepro.com/article/features/214995/stig-asmussen-reveals-alternate-god-of-war-3-endings/] (among other things), and it turns out the answer is: You bet your britches they did.

[blockquote]What David Jaffe talked about doing was -- and I'm not sure how it would happen -- basically, you destroy Greek mythology and then Norse mythology is right around the corner. That's the next thing that Kratos would go after. It becomes clear at the end that he's going to become this harbinger of death across different mythologies in the world and maybe carry the series on from there.

Cory Barlog talked about Kratos becoming Death. He pretty much becomes the Grim Reaper at the end of the game and his blades become sickles. They're both incredibly good ideas, but you need a director to be passionate about the story and understand it intimately. If I had used Dave or Cory's idea, I wouldn't have been as passionate about it. [/blockquote]

There you have it. Cory Barlog would have had Kratos become the embodiment of Death itself, whereas David Jaffe envisioned the angry Spartan going on to throw down with Thor and Odin.

I think I like David Jaffe's version best. Just try and tell me that wouldn't have been badass as all hell.

Eagle Est1986

That One Guy
Nov 21, 2007
Huh, Kratos taking on other mythologies. I'd rather the series ended on a high note with 3, but it could work.
I think RoosterTeeth or maybe Penny Arcade made a comic to that effect...

Gxas

Sep 4, 2008
Wait... So you're saying that, instead of the arguably amazing/terrible ending we got, that I could be fighting Odin and Loki?

Why the FUCK would anyone not think that was the best option!? Milking a series or not, I want to throw down with the greatest characters from mythology of all time!

splatterguy734

Nov 27, 2009
I agree that Jaffe's ending looked best the idea of Kratos pwning Loki is pretty attractive in a bloody, limb ripping kind of way.

Korias

Sep 9, 2009
Oh why didn't Jaffe finish this? I would have LOVED to see Kratos go up against the Norse Mythos, or the Egyptian Mythos, or the Chinese Zodiac, or the Meso-american spirits, or against the Aboriginal Dreamers. It would have been AMAZING.

And it wouldn't have involved the current ending. Barlog's idea is good too, but I'm not sure of where the series could go after that.

Oh well, I guess we can just lament over the loss of the possibility of a mythological massacre.

capacollo

Nov 17, 2009
Wow that would be sweet to fight through the different mythologies but yah I think they'd be milking it at that point. For better or worse the God of War series has become a standard to compare against ...

The Zango

Resident stoner and Yognaught
Apr 30, 2009
'Once i am finished with Loki and Thor, Anubis YOUR NEXT!' I cant see that working, i'm glad it ends with 3 (even though i havn't seen the ending so for all i know it could suck)

Jared

The British Paladin
Jul 14, 2009
I just hope they end it with 3. It has had its time, and it has run its course.

If it starts going into different cultures it will just feel like a bad crossver

Zerbye

Aug 1, 2008
I think it would be hilariously awesome if the angry Spartan evolved into Master Chief! (He's mellowed over the years)

Aptspire

Mar 13, 2008
Eagle Est1986 said:
Huh, Kratos taking on other mythologies. I'd rather the series ended on a high note with 3, but it could work.
I think RoosterTeeth or maybe Penny Arcade made a comic to that effect...

Exactly what I thought when I saw Jaffe's idea XD

Sixties Spidey

Elite Member
Jan 24, 2008
Jaredin said:
I just hope they end it with 3. It has had its time, and it has run its course.

If it starts going into different cultures it will just feel like a bad crossver
I agree. The God of War trilogy will have their place in the hall of fame so that the series becomes an example of action-adventure games done right.

Hithlain

Keeper of Ying
Nov 25, 2008
Honestly, I don't really mind if my favorite games get milked until they are shriveled corpses, as long as I get more of the same. Perhaps that's just me.

Sixties Spidey

Elite Member
Jan 24, 2008
Zerbye said:
I think it would be hilariously awesome if the angry Spartan evolved into Master Chief! (He's mellowed over the years)
A SPARTAN-II supersoldier with the Blades of Chaos? At this point, they'd better give us a gun that shoots the Blades of Chaos! Or even better, a bayonet that attaches to the bottom of the gun, that he can launch!

GundamSentinel

The leading man, who else?
Aug 23, 2009
Would have been strange to have the world go totally to shit but still have the Norse pantheon about doing nothing about the crap outside. Nah, I liked how they ended it. It was fitting.

Sixties Spidey

Elite Member
Jan 24, 2008
Oooh ooh! Idea! Maybe he becomes one of the four horsemen of doomsday! You know, War? COME ON you know it would be fuckin' awesome!

Hawk of Battle

Feb 28, 2009
Yeah well seeing as the Egyptian mythology would have already been mostly over by then anyway that means they're out for a start. Romans just stole most of the Greek myths so there's nothing to do there either. The only major ones that would be left are Norse, Indian (I can already imagine the limb ripping Shiva fight)and maybe Chinese.

But all of that would just look like a bad fan-fiction and franchise milking. I like how the series ended, and I hope it stays ended. As much as I love the series, some times you just need to let things have a conclusion.