EA Unveils the Dead Space 2 "Dementia" Trailer

Andy Chalk

One Flag, One Fleet, One Cat
Nov 12, 2002
EA Unveils the Dead Space 2 "Dementia" Trailer

EA has released the "Dementia" trailer for Dead Space 2 [http://www.gamestop.com/Catalog/ProductDetails.aspx?product_id=76645], offering the first look at the upcoming game and at the face of its hero, Isaac Clarke.

The fast cuts and blurry video in the new Dead Space 2 trailer make it a little tricky to tell what's going on, but this much is clear: Isaac Clarke, the apparent sole survivor of the ISS Ishimura, is back for more. He's been rescued from the chaos of the deep space disaster and subjected to what I would assume would be a thorough psychological examination, and now against all common sense he's slapping on the face plate and diving back into the fray.

Is he crazy? Maybe. An experience like the one he endured in his first encounter with the Necromorphs would be enough to push most people over the edge. Looking at his face, I can't tell if he's a cool cucumber or a psycho killer who left reality behind about 200 light years ago. And yes, that's right: After the silent anonymity of the first game, we're finally getting a glimpse of the man behind the mask, a rugged, steely-eyed space hero who'd look perfectly comfortable with a bright N7 plastered across the front of his engineer duds.

Other than the revelation, such as it is, of Clarke's face, the trailer makes Dead Space 2 look pretty much like you'd expect: Grotesque monsters and lots of splatter. On the other hand, the psychological component could be a fun twist and the suggestion that the Necromorph virus has made its way to civilization provides some interesting story potential as well. We'll have to wait awhile yet to see how it all plays out: Dead Space 2 doesn't come out until early 2011, for the Xbox 360 and PlayStation 3.

Icecoldcynic

Oct 5, 2009
I hate the way the guy says 'peggy'. Why couldn't it be pronounced 'Pee-ee-gee-aye'? I have a rather neutral standpoint towards dead space 2 since i didn't have the good fortune of playing the first.

Armored Prayer

Mar 10, 2009
And yes, that's right: After the silent anonymity of the first game, we're finally getting a glimpse of the man behind the mask, a rugged, steely-eyed space hero who'd look perfectly comfortable with a bright N7 plastered across the front of his engineer duds.
Wait, you could see his face in the beginning of the first game when your riding that ship. You could quickly turn the camera around and see his face before he puts on his helmet.

OT: I must say this trailer has got me interested. I loved the first game and the second looks like more of what I like. Grotesque monsters, a bit of horror, and a bit of si-fi.

Ben Legend

Apr 16, 2009
Considering it releases very little information on the game, the trailer is brilliant.

Galaxy613

Apr 6, 2008
Man, that'll be awesome if they somehow connected Dead Space with Mass Effect. But that would probably ruin them both.

Super Jamz

Apr 16, 2009
In fairness, we could see isaac's face at the start and the end of the first game anyway.

Loving the new helmet though, that's just awesome. Hopefully when they explain the whole shindig about unitology and the markers it's not going to be something ridiculous like they're trying to 'find god' or something religion-based as that.

Salakayin

Apr 1, 2010
BlueTomfoolery said:
Nothing for the PC? I'm having a mental breakdown...
I noticed as well that the article didn't mention the PC. I hope that its just an oversight or something, because I'd be kinda disappointed if they didn't include a PC version of the game. Considering that's all I have access to these days.

The trailer looks neat, however. It shall be interesting to see how this unfolds.

oppp7

Aug 29, 2009
I'm pretty sure he removed his helmet and you could see his face at the epilogue of the first game.

HT_Black

May 1, 2009
...Wasn't Issac in his mid-40's/early 50's in the last game? Why does he look like Commander Shepard all of a sudden? Is that just for the trailers, or are we going to get some sort of planet-sized retcon before long?

SnipErlite

Aug 16, 2009
Oooooh this looks awesome.

First was one epicly creepy. Well more shock tactics than creepy.

Actually, no it was really creepy.

This should be really good.

The Infinite

Mar 30, 2009
That trailers got me looking forward to Dead Space 2 now I have to say; liked the first one quite a bit so nice to see that this is shaping up rather well. Also as people have you said.. you can see his face at both the start and end of the first game. Though it seems they should be saying that they gave him a voice, if part of the speech in the video is partly his. Also the new helmet is sweet.

cobrausn

Dec 10, 2008
Couldn't help but notice a cityscape behind the marker about three quarters through. Dead Metropolis?

The Rogue Wolf

Stealthy Carnivore
Legacy
Nov 25, 2007
Stalking the Digital Tundra
HT_Black said:
...Wasn't Issac in his mid-40's/early 50's in the last game? Why does he look like Commander Shepard all of a sudden? Is that just for the trailers, or are we going to get some sort of planet-sized retcon before long?
You did get pretty good looks at his face at the beginning/end of the game (of course, you had to have the presence of mind to move the camera at the beginning part before he put on his helmet), and he's certainly no spring chicken- taking a close look here [http://hosting11.imagecross.com/image-hosting-14/6049Dead-Space-2009-05-07-21-18-11-20.png], one can see a rather worn face and some touches of grey at the temples. I'd peg him at a solid 40 years old, at least.

The video does seem to make him a bit younger, but his hairstyle and overall facial construction look somewhat different as well, so this might be the result of a newer (higher polygon/texture-resolution) character model in the game. Given what he went through in the first game, that steely expression could hide a crazed mind singing "Yay now is fighty time, fighty time, blood blood BLOOD" over and over to itself.

AfterAscon

Tilting at WHARRGARBL
Nov 29, 2007
The fast cuts were just clips of the first game, bar one scene which looks like a xenomorph (or whatever the name was) in Issacs armour. Other than that it looks pretty cool. I'm hoping for some Eternal Darkness isanity type stuff which could be really freaky.

flaming_squirrel

Jun 28, 2008
Salakayin said:
BlueTomfoolery said:
Nothing for the PC? I'm having a mental breakdown...
I noticed as well that the article didn't mention the PC. I hope that its just an oversight or something, because I'd be kinda disappointed if they didn't include a PC version of the game. Considering that's all I have access to these days.

The trailer looks neat, however. It shall be interesting to see how this unfolds.
Fraid to say they've already announced there will be no PC version. Shit sucks.

Wicky_42

Sep 15, 2008
At the end, what does the guy say? Sounds to me like, "Isaac, you're all going to burn for what you did to you" which opens up the whole psychological horror thing that the Rorschach diagrams hinted at.