Sony Exec: Bungie Deal Gives PS3 Fans "Halo on Steroids"

John Funk

U.N. Owen Was Him?
Dec 20, 2005
Sony Exec: Bungie Deal Gives PS3 Fans "Halo on Steroids"

Perhaps the biggest consequence of the Activision/Bungie bombshell is that the formerly Xbox-exclusive studio will now be developing games for the PS3 - and Sony is welcoming Bungie with wide-open arms.

In case you missed it: Earlier today, Bungie dropped a bombshell [http://www.escapistmagazine.com/news/view/100329-Bungie-Signs-Deal-With-Activision] by announcing that it had signed a 10-year publishing agreement with Activision for its newest IP after work completes on Halo: Reach, the grand finale to the wildly popular sci-fi series.

The savvy among us gamers quickly realized that having Activision as a publisher instead of Microsoft meant that Bungie's next product would probably not be exclusive to the Xbox platform, as was the case with the studio's previous games. Gamers aren't the only ones to realize this, of course - Sony is assuredly as thrilled as anyone else over the news.

In fact, the hardware manufacturer is banking on Bungie's talent doing wonderful things with the powerful PS3. Patrick Seybold, SCEA's Senior Director of Corporate Communications and Social Media, said as much via Twitter [http://twitter.com/seybold/status/13075661269]:

"Congrats to Bungie. Marrying their creative minds and incredible talent to the power of PS3 will be like giving PS3 fans Halo on steroids."

Halo on steroids ... so, Gears of War, then?

Are you excited, PS3 fans?

(Via PlayStation Lifestyle [http://playstationlifestyle.net/2010/04/29/sony-pleased-with-bungieactivision-deal-talks-of-halo-on-steroids/])

The Undoer

Sep 13, 2009
I wonder if there's any chance of some new Bungie games coming to the PC, I'd be interested to try Halo: Reach if it was coming to the PC, sadly I don't buy consoles (Not a fan of the whole subscription online etc style things with the Xbox, and the PS3 is expensive :O)

VanityGirl

Apr 29, 2009
Gears of War indeed.
That's cool, but why must Sony try to sell us the power of the PS3 at every turn? We got it, the PS3 is great, but as we've seen with all multiplatorm games, they look the same on 360 and PS3.
Oh well, at least I can get Halo on Steriods for both the 360 and PS3

FactualSquirrel

Dec 10, 2009
But if it's not exclusive to ps3, then why the Hell are they saying it's gonna be awesome?

That's just baiting Xbox fanboys, if you ask me...

tk1989

May 20, 2008
im not the biggest fan of halo, but this can only be a good thing as a PS3 owner

Mantonio

Apr 15, 2009
"Congrats to Bungie. Marrying their creative minds and incredible talent to the power of PS3 will be like giving PS3 fans Halo on steroids."
Is it just me, or does he sound like a bit of a presumptuous dick?

He's acting as if they've just announced that they're only making PS3 stuff.

Armored Prayer

Mar 10, 2009
Well good news for people who don't own a 360.

Bungie makes some pretty good games and it would be awesome if everyone were to experience it.

Poomanchu745

Sep 11, 2009
Eh I hate the Halo series with a passion so im not really excited in the least bit. If they put out a solid game for the PS3 that looks interesting Ill pick it up but at the moment i couldn't care less.

qbanknight

Apr 15, 2009
could've sworn steroids are bad for you in the long run sony, be careful what you wish for...the halo games were fun but not fantastic

Darkwolf9

Aug 19, 2008
I think it'll be interesting for what it's worth. They did Halo, but the other stuff they've done has been relatively unimpressive. In fact Halo was average to me as a long time gamer. I am interested to see what they could do with the PS3, who knows they may blow our minds now that their not tethered to Halo and can use the experience they've gained off of that.