New Copies of Alan Wake Shine Brighter Than Used

Tom Goldman

Crying on the inside.
Aug 17, 2009
New Copies of Alan Wake Shine Brighter Than Used

Microsoft will include more of Alan Wake's [http://www.amazon.com/Alan-Wake-Xbox-360/dp/B0010AYJXI/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&s=videogames&qid=1278525900&sr=1-1] Bright Falls adventure if you give the company your money directly rather than to a second-hand store.

If you've already watched the brand new Alan Wake trailer [http://www.escapistmagazine.com/news/view/100330-Remedy-Releases-a-Stellar-New-Alan-Wake-Trailer] and thought it looked good, but still were going to wait to get a used copy for a few bucks less, there may be a reason to purchase the factory-sealed copy instead. Microsoft has announced that new copies of Alan Wake will include a code for free content that the used will not, unless the people that trade in the used copies don't have the wherewithal to use the codes.

Such an inclusion is becoming the norm as publishers struggle to get gamers to purchase more new games and to ignore the sometimes only slightly-cheaper used games found at retailers such as GameStop. The most prominent example would be EA's "Project Ten Dollar," where it includes free DLC with new games such as Mass Effect 2's Cerberus Network [http://www.escapistmagazine.com/news/view/97585-BioWare-Announces-Cerberus-Network-for-Mass-Effect-DLC].

Alan Wake's first DLC pack wasn't detailed, but it'll cost a premium for anyone that doesn't buy the game new. Maybe Alan will get an extra big flashlight to kill whatever the hell he has to fight that I still can't figure out from the trailer.

Extra content for supporting a game's developer/publisher is always a good thing, but it requires that a large chunk of consumers actually know about it to have an effect. I'm absolutely for methods such as these that give the creators of a game a revenue stream from all people that purchase it, but seemingly don't harm those that buy a used copy. Free extra content will only become more prevalent as time goes on, but whether it'll actually make a difference or not is the question.

Woodsey

Aug 9, 2009
I don't really have a problem with this; if you're buying second-hand you're essentially playing the game without the people that made it seeing any of the money (sort of).

Anyway, buying second-hand games makes me feel dirty. And not in a good way.

Onyx Oblivion

Borderlands Addict. Again.
Sep 9, 2008
I love this trend. The free content isn't necessary to enjoy the games, but rather a nice bonus. As long as game feels complete without this free stuff, I see no reason not to do this.

On the other hand, if the games feels incomplete without it, then we should worry.

So far, the only game that feel incomplete without it is Bad Company 2. The VIP code offers too much multiplayer stuff.

Mass Effect 2 was fine without the DLC, as was Dragon Age. And I should know. I played them on my 360 without access to the internet, so I couldn't even download the content.

Randvek

Jan 5, 2010
Woodsey said:
I don't really have a problem with this; if you're buying second-hand you're essentially playing the game without the people that made it seeing any of the money (sort of).
The same could be said of virtually anything bought second hand. Do the clothing companies get money for clothes you buy second-hand? Do car manufacturers see anything from used car sales? On and on, down the list, the answer is no.

DEATHROAD

May 14, 2008
Woodsey said:

Its not just me then, i HATE buying 2nd hand games,i hate the thought that its not really mine, its someone elses, i also hate that it dosent have that new game smell, you guys know what im talking about, I also have the same problem with pokemon that im not the OT xD

Woodsey

Aug 9, 2009
Randvek said:
Woodsey said:
The same could be said of virtually anything bought second hand. Do the clothing companies get money for clothes you buy second-hand? Do car manufacturers see anything from used car sales? On and on, down the list, the answer is no.
I suppose, but apart from cars I don't think there's much that I'd ever buy second hand.

I see no reason for developers/publishers to not put this in place (assuming it stays at the level it is now, and doesn't block you from half the bloody game or something).

Macgyvercas

Spice & Wolf Restored!
Feb 19, 2009
Look game publishers. You get your cut, now stop being so fucking greedy! Used games are a god send to people who quite frankly, can't afford the 60 bucks you charge us! If you want people to buy the games new, then lower the fucking prices already! /rant

aaronmcc

Oct 18, 2008
nope, it's not worrying at all

where i am, if you wait like 1-2months the game is usually half price

Dec 16, 2009
Woodsey said:

Well, if the person who traded the game in uses the cash for more new games, then thats good for the developers. If it wasnt for trading in, some might not buy as many brand new games

Patrick_and_the_ricks said:
Looks like the days of the noble pirate are coming to an end...
I think its a good anti piracy measure, and a good measure to get revenue from second hand games, as long as its still a complete game without the DLC

rynocerator

Aug 10, 2009
I work at a Gamestop in Arizona, and I can tell you first hand that at the very least 4 out of 10 copies that get traded in of any game still have the preorder content or what have you unused inside. And you can just walk in, open the case, take it, and leave. Most clerks, myself included, won't care in the slightest.

aaronmcc

Oct 18, 2008
rynocerator said:
I work at a Gamestop in Arizona, and I can tell you first hand that at the very least 4 out of 10 copies that get traded in of any game still have the preorder content or what have you unused inside. And you can just walk in, open the case, take it, and leave. Most clerks, myself included, won't care in the slightest.
actually if you can believe it, i bought Splinter Cell Double Agent second hand for xbox 360 last week and the 48hr xbox live trail was still in it! that's 4yrs old!

Low Key

May 7, 2009
As long as the extra content isn't imperative to the core gameplay, I think this is a good thing. Everyone likes something for free...even if it will actually cost $60 instead of $30 or something like that.

Dogstile

Jan 17, 2009
Macgyvercas said:
Look game publishers. You get your cut, now stop being so fucking greedy! Used games are a god send to people who quite frankly, can't afford the 60 bucks you charge us! If you want people to buy the games new, then lower the fucking prices already! /rant
How much do you think it costs to make a game? This isn't greed, this is giving people who pay more, more. Big deal.

Keava

Mar 1, 2010
Back in the days you would often get a nice box, proper manual, and some various goodies that came with a new, shiny game purchase. Now you get free DLC.
I cant see it as bad thing to compensate for the DVD box release which pretty much is just a game disc and cd-key.

And really, as much as id love game prices to be a bit lower, excusing yourself with 2nd hand games just because you dont want to dish out 60 ucks for a fresh copy is pretty much just like excuses for piracy.
You dont need to own every single game on the market and if you save up 2 bucks / day you can get a new game every month. The decent ones dont even come out that often :p

EnzoHonda

Mar 5, 2008
This is a great idea. It actually makes a used game "used." As in it's lesser than the new copy. Good. There is an incentive to buy a new copy versus a used copy just like with any other used goods.