Bungie "Not Concerned" About Infinity Ward Debacle

John Funk

U.N. Owen Was Him?
Dec 20, 2005
Bungie "Not Concerned" About Infinity Ward Debacle

What does the recent announcement of the Activision/Bungie partnership have to do with the fallout surrounding the Infinity Ward meltdown? Absolutely nothing, says Bungie.

Activision has been in the news quite a bit lately, and for the most part it hasn't been good press, what with around Infinity Ward [http://www.escapistmagazine.com/news/view/100311-Activision-CEO-Calls-It-Quits].

To that end, the megaton announcement that Activision had scored one hell of a winner by partnering with Halo creator Bungie [http://www.escapistmagazine.com/news/view/100329-Bungie-Signs-Deal-With-Activision] must have come as quite a relief to the company's suits: Finally, some overwhelmingly positive press. But was this announcement timed to deflect the Infinity Ward shakeup? Did Activision hurry to sign a new blockbuster studio after seeing its old one crumble?

Nope, Bungie's design director Joseph Staten told Gamasutra's Leigh Alexander [http://www.gamasutra.com/view/news/28310/Interview_Bungie_Not_Concerned_At_All_About_Infinity_Ward_Drama.php]. Even if it had been Infinity Ward's desire to be more like Bungie - a studio associated with a publisher but that maintains its independence - that had sparked the controversy, Bungie itself is keeping its hands free of the whole shebang.

"Our situation is so fundamentally different that we're not concerned at all," Staten told Alexander. "It's been really great getting to know the Activision executive team. It's not every day that I have a chance to sit down with the president of the world's biggest entertainment publisher and have him spend a couple of hours talking about the story and characters we created."

The original plan for this new game had actually been in the works since 2007, said Staten - right after Bungie had broken away from Microsoft. The Activision deal had been in the pipeline for nine months, and had revolved around three key "touchstones" for Bungie: "Bungie is going to own what we create. We're not going to back down from that; we're going to be an independent company, and we want to reach as broad an audience as possible."

The timing of the announcement had nothing to do with Infinity Ward, and everything to do with the finalizing of the agreements - and the impending Halo: Reach beta. "We just this week signed the long-form contract," said Staten. "And we know in this industry that a secret doesn't remain a secret for very long. We knew we wouldn't make it to E3 without something leaking ... and we didn't want to announce during [the Halo: Reach] beta" or the game's marketing run-up.

Speaking with GI.biz [http://www.gamesindustry.biz/articles/bungies-brian-jarrard-interview?page=2], Bungie's community manager Brian Jarrard concurred:

[blockquote]I think my personal only concern was just having to make this announcement in a world where the landscape and climate isn't super ideal right now and what people's initial reactions might be in terms of Bungie fans and what their view would be. But in terms of our actual working relationship and the future, no, we're confident that we have a great deal and all of things that we wanted to get out of this partnership are in place for us so we can focus on making a great game and knowing that as many people as possible will be able to experience our universe on the device of their choosing.[/blockquote]

Jared

The British Paladin
Jul 14, 2009
Despite the assurance of the firm itself it still leaves me uneasy...I am sure, in time berayal can always become apparant

Mrsoupcup

Jan 13, 2009
Being naive is what I would call Bungie. Activision seems to be more evil than E.A. (Actually E.A. isn't all that bad anymore, they have been publishing alot of good games and helping improve them with the money they could have used on more cocaine)

rembrandtqeinstein

Sep 4, 2009
I'm going to predict a future quote from bungie in relation to activision

"Curse Your Sudden but Inevitable Betrayal!"

Dyp100

Jul 14, 2009
This makes me feel a bit better, I guess, but only a bit.

Bungie has enough influence to get Acitivision to back down if it needs to, so that is good.

Bigeyez

Apr 26, 2009
If Bungie actually secured the full rights of whatever new IP they make and remain independant then there really isn't anything to worry about. If Activision decides to break their contract and not cough up dough for the project Bungie can easiy shop whatever game their making to any publisher they want to. So it would be in Activisions best interests to play nice with Bungie.

Omnific One

Apr 3, 2010
"Bungie is going to own what we create. We're not going to back down from that; we're going to be an independent company, and we want to reach as broad an audience as possible."

Good. That makes it similar to the EA Partners deals, not like IW being owned by Activision.

Shamus Young

Jul 7, 2008
"Oh, I'm sure Activision would never treat US that way."

I'm reminded of women who hook up with a guy who beat (or cheated on) his last girlfriend, yet imagine it will be somehow different for them.

Remember that Activision doesn't NEED the IP rights to make life difficult for Bungie. The contract might say "Bungie must make us 3 games in 6 years" or somesuch. So Bungie can't just walk away if Activision starts jerking them around

DigitalSushi

a gallardo? fine, I'll take it.
Dec 24, 2008
It'll be interesting to see what they come up with, and when they say the project birthed in 2007 does that mean its in full swing?, and since they are coding for the PS3 too now have they been practising?... I mean learning how to code for the PS3?

questions questions!

ironlordthemad

Sep 25, 2009
Excellent point there Mr Young.
But I must say that this is the best news ever on the escapist. Why? Because it means that PS3 owners will finally get to suffer the attentions of the bungie fanboys when they spill out onto your consol! Enjoy!
All jokes asside I realy didn't care about the activision/IW thing, I realy don't care about this, maybe its because I don't see what is so great about Bungie or maybe its because I am bored of hearing about Activision's latest attempts to clean up the bloody mess of it's old gimp and replace it with a new one.

Dorkmaster Flek

Mar 13, 2008
Bungie can sweet talk this all they want, but if I was working there I would honestly be a little worried. Given Activision's track record in recent years, honestly I can't fathom why on earth they would partner with them. What about EA's partners program that Respawn just hooked up with?

Cabisco

May 7, 2009
I just can't help but think this will all go wrong, I mean the map packs will go up to £30 pounds per inch etc etc. I know It most certainly won't go wrong, it's just Activision seems to be trying it's hardest to be an arse so I have little to no trust in them.

Quad08

Oct 18, 2009
Well its not like Bungie is going to say anything bad about Activision now that they've signed a contract with them. Now THAT would be stupid

Arcane Azmadi

Jan 23, 2009
Oh, so now Bungie are working with Activision? Well in light of that, I'm sure we can expect to see another Halo game, and then another Halo game and probably another couple of Halo games and then some more Halo games. And then a few more Halo games, since this contract is good for 10 years after all. And then another Halo game.

Does anyone remember that Bungie once created Marathon, Oni and the Myth series? I didn't think so. I've never seen a company so fixated on a single IP to the utter exclusion of all else before and now they're working for the "Let's Milk This Cash Cow Until It And Transforms Into A Horse We Can Beat" company the chances of this changing are down to absolute 0. Not that I really give much of a damn anyway, but it's still not the kind of thing I like to see.

Pimppeter2

Dec 31, 2008
Bungie signing with Activision is possibly the most logical thing they could do.

They were pretty much owned by Microsoft entirely, and they literally had to "buy themselves back".

Activision is a hurt giant that "needs" something like this.

So Bungie signing with them is the most logical step. They keep all forms of being independent (like control of the IP) and receiving the cash they need to make the game. Activision won't dare pull off another Infinity Ward scandal, so in a sense, they are Bungie's *****. Not the other way around.

To use the overused phrase, while with Microsoft, when MS said "jump". Bungie said "how high".

Now with Activision, the relationship was switched.