Beholders Become Cute in Kid's Version of D&D

Tom Goldman

Crying on the inside.
Aug 17, 2009
Beholders Become Cute in Kid's Version of D&D

Wizards of the Coast has released a new version of Dungeons & Dragons [http://www.amazon.com/gp/browse/ref=sr_tc_img_2_0?node=16215&ie=UTF8&qid=1278525799&sr=1-2-tc] that should be easier for young children to play.

Ever wish you could include your young child in weekly play of Dungeons & Dragons instead of locking him/her in the basement until the adventures have concluded? Shockingly, now you can, thanks to Wizards of the Coast and its new pen-and-paper game designed for players age six and up: Monster Slayers: The Heroes of Hesiod.

While regular Dungeons & Dragons play might be a little complicated for some kids as young as six, Monster Slayers has easier rules and doesn't require the commitment of a full D&D campaign. It also has simpler art that won't give kids nightmares about a scary Archlich enslaving them. Monster Slayers: The Heroes of Hesiod is the perfect way to start brainwashing, I mean teaching, a future Wizard or Barbarian ally.

Wizards of the Coast believes D&D is educational, like most games, helping to teach skills in math, reading, writing, cooperation, problem-solving, and creative thinking. Beginning to learn these skills is another benefit of Monster Slayers for younger children, in addition to the fun factor. All that's needed to play are some pens/pencils, paper, and fifteen minutes to an hour. It's also designed for more casual players of D&D or those new to the game.

So how much does it cost? Jack. By jack, I mean nothing. Monster Slayers can be downloaded for free off of the Wizards of the Coast [http://www.wizards.com/DnD/Article.aspx?x=dnd/4dnd/monsterslayers] website. I have no kids for no woman shall willingly bear my fruit, but I know someone out there that enjoys a fine dungeon crawl must.

Via: Wired [http://www.wired.com/geekdad/2010/04/wizards-of-the-coast-publishes-dd-for-kids/]

deth2munkies

Jan 28, 2009
This is actually pretty awesome, too bad it came out after I was a kid, I've been looking for a way into DnD for years, just can't find myself the right people and time.

Feb 13, 2008
Because, of course, kids can't really imagine anything that's as damn cool as a beholder. Grrrr.

And Beholders are tough for name level characters...how the drek is a kiddiwink gonna take out the Anti-Magic cone?

Anyway, they should use this one:

Mehhhh! Brrrbrbrbrbr.

Megacherv

Kinect Development Sucks...
Sep 24, 2008
Just remember, don't get this mixed up with I Hit With My Axe...

"Mummy, why is Daddy nervous around all these women?"
"That's because he masturbates to them when he thinks I'm upstairs asleep"

Poomanchu745

Sep 11, 2009
Tom Goldman said:
Ever wish you could include your young child in weekly play of Dungeons & Dragons instead of locking him/her in the basement until the adventures have concluded?
I thought the D&D took place in the basement! Burn! Lol Jk. Although I dont know how many kids are actually gonna want to play a game that doesn't involve shooting someone in the face so you can see their head explode or playing hungry hungry hippos.

ArcWinter

May 9, 2009
This is the best idea ever.

i wish i was ten years younger or i had a child either one is fine but both are physically impossible get it

funksobeefy

Mar 21, 2009
you mean 4.0?

zing!

edit, but actually I think that is a great idea, I know my basic math skills have improved by playing DnD. Plus its fun to solve puzzles thinking outside the box and it would a great idea to teach that sort of thinking at a young age. (unless the DM discourages that, which mine does)

Kurokami

Feb 23, 2009
deth2munkies said:
This is actually pretty awesome, too bad it came out after I was a kid, I've been looking for a way into DnD for years, just can't find myself the right people and time.
Same here, I feel like I missed out.

RJ Dalton

Aug 13, 2009
This is an odd move for a company that went so far out of its way to kill off 3rd edition so that we'd all have to buy the books again. Not a bad move, mind you, just odd.

BlindTom

Aug 8, 2008
I have no kids for no woman shall willingly bear my fruit, but I know someone out there that enjoys a fine dungeon crawl must.
ahahahahaha you are awesome but I do not have a womb sorry

Chipperz

Apr 27, 2009
That Bullette art made my heart grow three sizes :eek:

Seriously, this is obscenely cute, but also very cool. I love the art style - it makes it stand out from most fantasy RPGs. I actually think I'd play an entire game like this.

Lord George

Aug 25, 2008
Ok so not only can I introduce my future kids into the dark ways of the old ones with this

But now I get to teach them D&D as well, yay their going to be completely messed up

Macgyvercas

Spice & Wolf Restored!
Feb 19, 2009
Great idea, I must admit. But it doesn't sit well with me. Beholders are not supposed to look cute and cuddly. They are supposed to be horrific badasses trying to murder you. And that picture is not a Beholder.

Korten12

Now I want ma...!
Aug 26, 2009
Lord George said:
Ok so not only can I introduce my future kids into the dark ways of the old ones with this

But now I get to teach them D&D as well, yay their going to be completely messed up
that was AMAZING!

j0frenzy

Dec 26, 2008
funksobeefy said:
you mean 4.0?

zing!

edit, but actually I think that is a great idea, I know my basic math skills have improved by playing DnD. Plus its fun to solve puzzles thinking outside the box and it would a great idea to teach that sort of thinking at a young age. (unless the DM discourages that, which mine does)
You know, I was going to make the exact same joke. Fucking ninja'd.
I like the idea though. Sounds like a great way to corrupt my future child that my girlfriend refuses to have.

Veleste

Mar 27, 2010
Aw, look at the cute wittle monster demon. Who's a cute wittle monster demon, you are! Yes you are...OH MY GOD MY HAND! D: