U.S. Wants to Train Soldiers With Body-Reading RPG

Tom Goldman

Crying on the inside.
Aug 17, 2009

The U.S. Department of Defense wants to make soldiers sweat with games that react to their brainwaves and body patterns.

A current solicitation from the United States Department of Defense is asking for the development of serious games that can train soldiers to do more than kill. Keeping the peace in Iraq and Afghanistan currently requires dealing with the native population on a daily basis, not firing weaponry, and can create tense situations in an unfamiliar place that some soldiers may not be prepared for.

According to the solicitation, the game's trainees "will be able to speak to and interact at any level with indigenous non-player characters (NPC), complete with voice recognition, speech, and facial gestures." The characters would react realistically according to how the soldier treated them. "For example, if a player comes in and insults the local tribal leader the game scenario will change and the trainee will find that future interactions with the local population are more difficult and more hostile." Sounds just like Peter Molyneux's Milo [http://www.escapistmagazine.com/news/view/92169-Molyneux-Unconcerned-About-Milo-Abuse] to me.

The game would be designed to put a large amount of pressure on soldiers and react to their eye movements, voice patterns, and heart rates: "The trainee will be monitored for neural/physiological markers (e.g. EEG, eye tracking, pupil diameter, heart rate, respiration, and so forth) of workload and the game will adjust in difficulty based in part on these neural/physiological metrics; this is designed to keep players motivated, interested, and at an optimal learning level." Ideally, the game would present various kinds of situations to different ranks of soldiers depending on those that they would actually encounter. Up to four soldiers would be able to enter the simulation at once.

I can't even talk to the barista at Starbucks without freezing up, so a game like this could have uses for far more important tasks than making peace. It could also teach me what to say when asked if I want whipped cream on my latte or not: a decision with sweeping universal consequences. To be honest, a realistic version of the DoD's game sounds incredibly advanced and beyond capability, but then again, first-person shooters don't exactly train soldiers how to fire a gun, but could give somewhat of a baseline skill to work with. The peacekeeping game described here wouldn't have to be totally realistic to get soldiers used to tough situations, or to help me with my coffee.

Source: Pop Sci [http://www.popsci.com/technology/article/2010-04/dod-wants-immersive-video-games-respond-eeg-voice]

Jfswift

Hmm.. what's this button do?
Nov 2, 2009
Maybe they'd be better of with a LARP setup (live action role play), with fabricated buildings and people who can speak that language. Still, it's not a bad idea, better than nothing.

CoverYourHead

High Priest of C'Thulhu
Dec 7, 2008
Hey, I'd like to play that. Who knows? Might be useful, show how different interactions with people of a different culture might react to a foreign military presence.

otakucode

Apr 16, 2009
Chance peaceful behavior will be rewarded: Zero.

Let's get this straight. Our intention is to install a government that will listen to us no matter what the "citizens" of that country want. If they disagree with us, we have no interest whatsoever in responding rationally. If they do not see us and disarm themselves and drop to their knees in worship, listen to everything we say and show no signs of independence, they're going to be murdered.

I am entertained any time they claim to simulate "humans" in any form though, it vividly highlights how abstract and unrealistic our societies view of "humans" are.

zidine100

Mar 19, 2009
will be able to speak to and interact at any level with indigenous non-player characters
unless theve solved the natural launguage problem, i can see this ending badly.

lasersandbearsohno

Nov 8, 2009
Did anyone else read the title as 'body reading RocketPropelledGrenade'?
I mean it doesn't make total sense but I thought there might of been some person seeking rocket

hypothetical fact

Oct 8, 2008
otakucode said:

Let's get this straight. Our intention is to install a government that will listen to us no matter what the "citizens" of that country want. If they disagree with us, we have no interest whatsoever in responding rationally. If they do not see us and disarm themselves and drop to their knees in worship, listen to everything we say and show no signs of independence, they're going to be murdered.

I am entertained any time they claim to simulate "humans" in any form though, it vividly highlights how abstract and unrealistic our societies view of "humans" are.
Get off your pedastal. Threatening and murdering villagers just creates sympathisers for the enemy and ruins another green zone. Generals know if they want their army to exist with a population they need it on their side. This goes double for any other hippy with the "military intelligence" joke.

Tibet doesn't count since those are Buddhist monks not farmers capable of growing fields of opium and militants raiding gulf war stockpiles.

real life potato

Jul 7, 2009
dementedartist22 said:
Did anyone else read the title as 'body reading RocketPropelledGrenade'?
I mean it doesn't make total sense but I thought there might of been some person seeking rocket
Lol that's what I was thinking. I was thinking it would be an article about an RPG that didn't fire at certain targets or something.

TheRocketeer

Intolerable Bore
Dec 24, 2009
If anyone has the unlimited technological and financial resources to bring this to even partial fruition, it's the Department of Defense.

And if they could do it, their notes (assuming they were ever shared) could provide invaluable data to the rest of the technological world, including the gaming sphere.

likalaruku

Nov 29, 2008
Tom Goldman said:

I can't even talk to the barista at Starbucks without freezing up, so a game like this could have uses for far more important tasks than making peace. It could also teach me what to say when asked if I want whipped cream on my latte or not: a decision with sweeping universal consequences.
That's so deep! I think I cried a little ;_;

Aurora219

Aug 31, 2008
I like it that you deem your visits to Starbucks' worthiness over peace in Afghanistan though. You've got style.

Marine Mike

Mar 3, 2010
otakucode said:

You're right... maybe we should leave them to their policies of torturing and killing whole families if they don't agree to let insurgents shoot people from their houses, or launch mortars from their back yard, or best of all if they see an infidel and don't immediately try to kill them. I strongly urge you to better inform yourself on these matters, and also realize there are several Escapists like myself who are the military type that consider it offensive to be called a "murderer".

Therumancer

Citation Needed
Nov 28, 2007
hypothetical fact said:
otakucode said:

Get off your pedastal. Threatening and murdering villagers just creates sympathisers for the enemy and ruins another green zone. Generals know if they want their army to exist with a population they need it on their side. This goes double for any other hippy with the "military intelligence" joke.

Tibet doesn't count since those are Buddhist monks not farmers capable of growing fields of opium and militants raiding gulf war stockpiles.
I disagree to be honest. I think the entire problem is the idea of using soldiers as "peacekeepers" as opposed to well... Soldiers. All this stuff with "Green Zones" and things like that are inherantly ridiculous. I do not believe you can resolve a nation's internal problems by exerting external pressures. I also firmly believe that by the time the military is involved diplomacy has already failed. The people who should be reading those leaders and such are diplomats and the like. By the time the military is on the ground the purpose should be pretty much to kill people and break things, not to try and make friends, that already failed at this point.

Don't get me wrong, I believe in trying other methods BEFORE military action, but once you get to that point I have a very specific view of what it entails.

So basically I more or less agree with the guy your disagreeing with. I think such training would work well for our diplomatic corps, but truthfully when it comes to soldiers we should be working to dehumanize the targets they will be dealing with, so they can kill more efficiently and relentlessly... not the opposite.

In the end I imagine we're going to have to agree to disagree, but as I see things the entire idea is contrary to the purpose of military training and conditioning which is supposed to be to get soldiers to overcome the inherant human reluctance to kill other human, and to view their enemy as an enemy, as opposed to some poor schmoe who is caught up behind his ken and probably has a family somewhere that will cry when they are gone.

I frequently talk about World War II Propaganda, largely because of the extent to which we demonized the enemy specifically to make it easier for our troops to engage them, and eventually deal with groups like The Volkssturm and Hitler Youth.

Awesome technology, but this isn't where I think it should be used. Put it to use with the guys that are supposed to resolve problems BEFORE we send the military, not with the military.

Marine Mike

Mar 3, 2010
Therumancer said:
Good luck finding civilians willing to do that. We had trouble getting civilians to clean our porta-potties; we offered armored trucks, security details, body armor, and we still ended up having to burn our shit. The reason the military does the door-to-door diplomacy in the current counter-insurgency operations is because you would have to pay a civilian about $300k a year to do it while they only had to pay us about $50k.

Therumancer

Citation Needed
Nov 28, 2007
Marine Mike said:
Therumancer said:
Good luck finding civilians willing to do that. We had trouble getting civilians to clean our porta-potties; we offered armored trucks, security details, body armor, and we still ended up having to burn our shit. The reason the military does the door-to-door diplomacy in the current counter-insurgency operations is because you would have to pay a civilian about $300k a year to do it while they only had to pay us about $50k.

Well, to me that sounds ridiculous and like a borked administration more than anything. Though I guess a lot of it comes down to the fact that I don't think our military should be involved in this kind of occupation to begin with. The purpose of the military as I see it is to go in, bring armageddon, and then go home once the enemy is destroyed and the threat averted. All of this "winning the peace" stuff is a recipe for failure, you cannot resolve internal problems by using external force.

Without getting into my overall sentiments on the war, and how things SHOULD be fought (plenty of my old messages should cover it), the bottom line is that I find the idea of the military using/needing civilian contractors during a foreign occupation as being ridiculous. As unpleasant as it is, I feel soldiers should be cleaning up after themselves, including the porta-potties.

I know little about The Army, but I do know from the Navy guys I've talked to that they have a designation called a "Hall Tech" (as I remember) whose job it is to do light maitnence like change lightbulbs, clean toilets, and do that kind of stuff. Pretty much a janitor. I see no real reason why the other branchs of the military would not have people in similar positions (whether they intended to wind up there or not).

I mean sure, I can see using civilian contractors when your setting up a military base in a friendly/allied country, or on your own soil... but the idea of using them for things like Porta Potties and such under these circumstances strikes me as being ridiculous.

Elesar

Apr 16, 2009
I'm trying to think of a Full Metal Jacket quote that's appropriate but it's not coming.

Phyroxis

Witty Title Here
Apr 18, 2008
Jfswift said:
Maybe they'd be better of with a LARP setup (live action role play), with fabricated buildings and people who can speak that language. Still, it's not a bad idea, better than nothing.
Was about to say that.

Natdaprat

Sep 10, 2009
If the US are funding this type of ambitious program, then it could benefit the gaming community. I'm all for it.