Vivendi Considered Digital-Distribution-Only WoW Expansions

John Funk

U.N. Owen Was Him?
Dec 20, 2005
Vivendi Considered Digital-Distribution-Only WoW Expansions

Blizzard and Vivendi could have gone fully digital for WoW as early as the 2007 launch of The Burning Crusade [http://www.amazon.com/World-Warcraft-Expansion-Burning-Crusade-Pc/dp/B000BWZY7Q/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&s=videogames&qid=1278525678&sr=1-1], but chose not to. Why? Because midnight launches are awesome, that's why.

The industry is growing increasingly fond of digital distribution, but there's one major sticking point: How can publishers be certain that their entire potential audience has the internet connection to get a full game online? Many gamers still use specialty retailers like GameStop and Wal-Mart to buy their software - going full-on digital means that you cut a huge part of the market out of the picture.

On the other hand, anyone who plays World of Warcraft by definition has the internet connection available, and Blizzard already delivers fairly large packets of data to subscribers on a regular basis for patches. At the LA Games Conference [http://www.lagamesconference.com/], former Vivendi Universal Games boss - you know, the company that actually calls the shots at Activision and Blizzard - Pascal Brochier said that Blizzard could have gone digital-only for 2007's WoW: The Burning Crusade, but chose not to.

We were patching all the time," Brochier told Joystiq [http://www.joystiq.com/2010/04/30/vivendi-considered-digital-distribution-for-wow-expansions/]. "It was always in the discussions internally; 'Should we go direct digital or should we go both with retail?'"

However, the company made the call to go with a retail launch for several reasons, not the least of which was the fact that big midnight openings result in extensive coverage and attention. This extra exposure can bring people back into the fold, or even attract newcomers. "When you're at the store with all of the events, you actually have people who've dropped [their subscriptions] come back ... The midnight events and all of the functions help people come back who've stopped playing, but also guys who've wanted to try it will be attracted to the event and become new-found players."

Besides, as anyone who goes to the midnight openings knows, even if it is a bit of a pain to haul yourself out to the nearest store and stand in the cold weather for what feels like hours, it's also a lot of fun to chat with fellow fans.

Vivendi and Blizzard did enable digital distribution shortly after TBC was live, but the retail component is still an important part of WoW's business model and experience, said Brochier. "[R]etail is a very important critical part. There's also a significant percentage of players who just play through pre-paid cards, and that's retail, that's a retail model. So you've got to find the balance."

Seeing as how two fastest-selling PC titles of all time [http://www.amazon.com/World-Warcraft-Wrath-Lich-Expansion-Mac/dp/B000VJTJNE/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&s=videogames&qid=1278525706&sr=1-1] (and Cataclysm is almost assuredly going to make it a hat trick), that probably won't be changing anytime soon.

Jared

The British Paladin
Jul 14, 2009
Well, this is a true case for MMOs and I can see it making sense for them.

However, they do need to take into account bandwith fir people. Not everyone can have uber fast interwebs

Deofuta

Nov 10, 2009
Bravo, the companies realize the importance of community yet again! Midnight Launches will most certainly be the first thing I regret missing if DD ever becomes the main stream. Its just fun to talk to fans of a game!

Still up in the air if GS is having a midnight launch of SC2. I mean come one! EVERY Madden game gets one, why cant this too!

Poomanchu745

Sep 11, 2009
Eh i don't think that going to the store at midnight is really going to draw more people. I would like to see a study done to confirm this but I really think its wrong. I would much rather just be able to DL the game beforehand and have it ready to go via digital distribution at 12 midnight. And plus it fails to account for the people that live in the middle of nowhere and would have to drive 30+ minutes to the closest store to pick it up.

I think the fact that a new expansion is coming out is the real reason people re-subscribe. Ive never thought "hey, i dont want that expansion...o wait, midnight release?! hell ya lets do it!". Basically what im saying is that people are gonna come back either way, so why not make it easier on the people that want digital and give that option along with midnight release.

Dexiro

Dec 23, 2009
Wouldn't be too bad if they went digital. They have their own Steam-like program now, it's a permanently online game and their download speeds are actually really good :p
I downloaded like 17gb of their stuff not long ago in just a few hours.

rembrandtqeinstein

Sep 4, 2009
I hope more companies go digital only. Gamestop has become a parasite on the industry and I hope they are wiped out.

No I don't want to pre-order, no I don't want to sell my games, no I don't want a used copy when a new one is $5 more, and no I don't want your fucking "disk protection plan".

Slycne

Tank Ninja
Feb 19, 2006
666Chaos said:
Its common sense why they didnt go digital only and the reason is collectors editions. Companies get to charge an extra $30-40 for $2 worth of items. Its a very large profit margin and no sane company would give that up. Midnight releases are also a way of increasing your first day sales which seems to be a popular epeen compition between gaming companies.
Also consider that they don't want to form a bad relationship with the retailers that they still need to carry all their other products that are not World of Warcraft, which guarantees an online connection.

This is one of the reasons that digital distributed and retail games still have the same price points at launch.

Richard Allen

Mar 16, 2010
Yes but it would be nice if they offered the option of just having it pre downloaded (which they do for the majority of patches) instead of having to go to the store. When TBC was released there was a blizzard (as in the snowstorm) in my area and I actually know someone who got into an accident, there fault of course but the option would be nice to avoid the lines, I don't pay blizzard to sit outside in the cold for 2 hours and be their pr pawns, I pay them for a comprehensive game experience and not offering a digital download is just bad customer service.

Edit: clarified that the blizz was a whether event, not the comp ;)

Richard Allen

Mar 16, 2010
rembrandtqeinstein said:
I hope more companies go digital only. Gamestop has become a parasite on the industry and I hope they are wiped out.

No I don't want to pre-order, no I don't want to sell my games, no I don't want a used copy when a new one is $5 more, and no I don't want your fucking "disk protection plan".
Then grow up and don't go there...there are plenty of retailers who don't offer those options. I for one appreciate being able sell back a game that I will never use again even if it is a low price, not to mention they have a shit ton a older used games that go for less then $10 that I pick up all the time. Oh and not once have I been offered a "disk protection plan" whatever that is.... God I hate the "new gamer".

Tom Phoenix

Mar 28, 2009
While I no longer play World of WarCraft, I was always very grateful that Blizzard maintained the pre-paid card model. I dislike credit cards and do not own one, so I was glad I was not forced into a payment model I could not use.

To be honest, I hope game companies will never completely drop the retail model. While I understand the practicality of digital-distribution, there is something to be said about being able to purchase an actual game box. It is always there for you when you want to play it (although I suppose that isn't the case with MMO's), it contributes to your collection and it is nice to look at. Plus, in case of Blizzard games, you also get a manual that practically qualifies as a novel, since it is usually always full of interesting lore.

tkioz

Fussy Fiddler
May 7, 2009
It's stupid that a lot of MMOs don't offer digital distribution, very stupid, hell AO offered it when I first started playing that game, but WoW and Warhammer online? Nope had to buy a stupid box that I didn't want. Have to cock around with installing main game + expansion 1 + expansion 2 + patch + patch + patch because they haven't put out a decent installer in years.

Pfft. Screw that.

WhiteTigerShiro

Sep 26, 2008
Richard Allen said:
Yes but it would be nice if they offered the option of just having it pre downloaded (which they do for the majority of patches) instead of having to go to the store. When TBC was released there was a blizzard (as in the snowstorm) in my area and I actually know someone who got into an accident, there fault of course but the option would be nice to avoid the lines, I don't pay blizzard to sit outside in the cold for 2 hours and be their pr pawns, I pay them for a comprehensive game experience and not offering a digital download is just bad customer service.

Edit: clarified that the blizz was a whether event, not the comp ;)
If you don't wanna be their "PR whore" then don't goto the Midnight releases. Or, as you stated in the post right after the quoted text: grow up and don't go there. It's not like they discontinue the game the instant the Midnight release is over. They continue selling the expansion during the normal business hours, and if you don't want to (or can't) go to a store, the expansion is available digitally fairly quickly. Maybe it'll take a day or two before it starts, maybe it's there right away, but the service is there either way.

Richard Allen said:
rembrandtqeinstein said:

Then grow up and don't go there...there are plenty of retailers who don't offer those options. I for one appreciate being able sell back a game that I will never use again even if it is a low price, not to mention they have a shit ton a older used games that go for less then $10 that I pick up all the time. Oh and not once have I been offered a "disk protection plan" whatever that is.... God I hate the "new gamer".
Personally, my problem with Gamestop is that slowly but surely "just don't go there" becomes less and less of an option. Perhaps you haven't noticed, but every time there's any kind of preorder bonus with a game, you have a 90% chance that it requires you to buy the game specifically from Gamestop. This makes it very annoying for people like me who prefer to specifically NOT shop at Gamestop any chance I get because Gamestop constantly throws money at developers to get these exclusives. Yeah sure they're optional things and the game is fully playable without them, but the point is that they're something I'd like to have, and I don't like that so many developers are content to give Gamestop the monopoly on preorder bonuses.

Oh, and the "Disc Protection Plan" is basically Gamestop's version of what I like to call a "warranty scam" (something that not just Gamestop is guilty of, though it was more popular to see 10 years ago than it is now-a-days). Basically, they offer to replace your game if you have any problems with it (of course there's a list of problems they won't cover), the catch is that this replacement costs an extra $5-10 (I forget the exact price) paid in advance. I don't think they do it anymore, probably because too many buyers caught-on to the fact that it was basically a "give us more money" gimmick that never actually comes into play. After all, if I don't need a warranty from Walmart or Best Buy, why do I need one from Gamestop?

tautologico

e^(i * pi) + 1 = 0
Apr 5, 2010
tkioz said:
It's stupid that a lot of MMOs don't offer digital distribution, very stupid, hell AO offered it when I first started playing that game, but WoW and Warhammer online? Nope had to buy a stupid box that I didn't want. Have to cock around with installing main game + expansion 1 + expansion 2 + patch + patch + patch because they haven't put out a decent installer in years.

Pfft. Screw that.
Uhh, what? I've installed WoW a few times since WotLK and the new downloader/installer gets everything from the servers and installs it in one step. No installing main game + exp 1 + exp 2 etc. I also downloaded WotLK at launch day. I don't live in the US, so I don't care about midnight launch events, as I can't go to them. I'd rather like Blizzard would sell everything through Digital Download as well as retail. It seems I'll have to go to stores to get StarCraft II.

AmayaOnnaOtaku

The Babe with the Power
Mar 11, 2010
I would LOVE that idea. Since my area the local retailers don't seem to have midnight openings for games. I remember going into Circuit City before it announced it was closing and asked about the next WOW expansion. Three of the reps had NO CLUE what I was talking about. *facepalm*

BTW WOW is also now using paypal as a way to make payments, which helps incase of issues because you can take it up with paypal directly.

tkioz

Fussy Fiddler
May 7, 2009
tautologico said:
tkioz said:

Pfft. Screw that.
Uhh, what? I've installed WoW a few times since WotLK and the new downloader/installer gets everything from the servers and installs it in one step. No installing main game + exp 1 + exp 2 etc. I also downloaded WotLK at launch day. I don't live in the US, so I don't care about midnight launch events, as I can't go to them. I'd rather like Blizzard would sell everything through Digital Download as well as retail. It seems I'll have to go to stores to get StarCraft II.
Well I don't know where you live but there was no digital version when I got my WotLK, day one, and I had to sluep into town to get the stupid thing, as for the installer, I have 80GB of traffic a month that I pay through the nose for, when I grab things I try to make sure I get them off free traffic servers, but since blizzard hasn't released a stand alone installer, rather a stupid torrent thing there is nothing I can do.

Anyway I don't play WoW anymore, haven't for over a year now, we need WoW sobriety chips, but I think any MMO company that doesn't offer digital distribution and stream-lined installers is completely and utterly retarded.

tautologico

e^(i * pi) + 1 = 0
Apr 5, 2010
tkioz said:
Well I don't know where you live but there was no digital version when I got my WotLK, day one, and I had to sluep into town to get the stupid thing, as for the installer, I have 80GB of traffic a month that I pay through the nose for, when I grab things I try to make sure I get them off free traffic servers, but since blizzard hasn't released a stand alone installer, rather a stupid torrent thing there is nothing I can do.

Anyway I don't play WoW anymore, haven't for over a year now, we need WoW sobriety chips, but I think any MMO company that doesn't offer digital distribution and stream-lined installers is completely and utterly retarded.
I did download WotLK at launch day, but I didn't buy a digital version. The expansion was available from Blizzard's servers from day 1 but I got my key by other means. There are people from my country who live in the US and buy WoW boxes for you and send you the scanned image of the key for a small fee. Yeah, I'd rather wish there was a digital version.

And it sucks to have limited download, but 80Gb is a lot. The whole of WoW is 15Gb max.

tkioz

Fussy Fiddler
May 7, 2009
tautologico said:
tkioz said:

I did download WotLK at launch day, but I didn't buy a digital version. The expansion was available from Blizzard's servers from day 1 but I got my key by other means. There are people from my country who live in the US and buy WoW boxes for you and send you the scanned image of the key for a small fee. Yeah, I'd rather wish there was a digital version.

And it sucks to have limited download, but 80Gb is a lot. The whole of WoW is 15Gb max.
80GB is bugger all, between 4 people and 6 internet devices, streaming video, downloads, game updates, stream, etc you're looking at burning a lot of data very fast. Burning almost 20% of your traffic on a game that should be placed on mirrored servers that are free traffic is not an option.