Rumor: New 2D Castlevania Brings Cooperative Dracula Hunts

Tom Goldman

Crying on the inside.
Aug 17, 2009
Rumor: New 2D Castlevania Brings Cooperative Dracula Hunts

Castlevania could be coming back in 2D as a game like the series has never seen before.

Konami's recently filed Harmony of Despair trademark looks like it'll be an official Castlevania game after all, but not in the way we're used to seeing the series. A rumor and an inside source have indicated that it'll return to Castlevania's 2D roots and add a multiplayer mode. It's also said to be a downloadable title available on Xbox Live Arcade.

First reported on NeoGAF [http://www.neverknowtech.com/]), the original rumor post said that Castlevania: Harmony of Despair is going to be an mash-up featuring popular characters from the entire Castlevania franchise. A Belmont may be among these. From screenshots NKP also obtained, we know Soma Cruz, Alucard, Jonathan Morris, Shanoa, and Charlotte Aulin are confirmed playable characters.

The game will be in 2D, like Castlevania is meant to be (sorry, Lords of Shadow), but also in crisp HD. Six players will be able to take on a map at once with the goal to kill a specific target. The map can be zoomed out all the way, presumably to make it easier to cooperate and help friends. Harmony of Despair will also have a single-player mode, and achievements for you AW's out there.

Though Harmony of Despair is still only a rumor, it's a pretty strong one, as a "trusted source" confirmed the game to Joystiq [http://www.joystiq.com/2010/04/30/rumor-castlevania-harmony-of-despair-2d-6-player-xbla-game]. The screenshots, if real, show a very neat looking game that could be a ton of fun if done correctly. Fusing multiplayer and cooperative elements into Castlevania sounds amazing, perhaps allowing for the trading of loot drops and MMO-like cooperation against tough bosses, but maybe I'm getting ahead of myself here. Nothing is official yet, so the waiting game has begun to see if Despair is a real game, and what the total reality of its gameplay could be like.

Casual Shinji

Should've gone before we left.
Legacy
Jul 18, 2009
Good, we need more high-profile 2D games.

I hope it's not going to be a party game or something. Forcing multi-player in a game that doesn't need it always makes me a little doubtful.

rythter

Jul 20, 2009
fu*k i don't have xbox, and yet i simply adore castlevania, so i am pretty pissed.

CoverYourHead

High Priest of C'Thulhu
Dec 7, 2008
I'd be sick if they made a hunt a character mode where all the other players have to kill one player that has special abilities.

UltimatheChosen

Mar 6, 2009
Well, I'll almost definitely get it, since I'm a whore for the Castlevania (and Metroid) series.

I just hope that single-player is still a viable option, since I doubt I'll be able to find anyone else to play with.

Heart of Darkness

The final days of His Trolliness
Jul 1, 2009
If it turns out to be anything like Portrait of Ruin, then I'm going to be sorely disappointed with this game. However, if Charlotte is still as OP as she was in Portrait of Ruin, then I'll be happy.

And, if the second part of that stays true, then I foresee two people devastating the game using only Shanoa and Charlotte. The light glyphs and Tempest should tear through, well, everything.

Souplex

Souplex Killsplosion Awesomegasm
Jul 29, 2008
There was MP in portrait of Ruin dude. Sure it was only for boss rush, but still.

Radeonx

Apr 26, 2009
Let's hope everything else in the game is as good as it could be, and I might have to buy this.

StriderShinryu

Dec 8, 2009
Excited about the whole 2D Castlevania part.. but not so excited about the multiplayer. Let a second player join me in my single player game if you want, but the way this article puts it makes it sound like it will be a multi player game first and foremost, which sucks.

SantoUno

Aug 13, 2009
*Inner fanboy is unleashed*

OMG OMG OMGDZZZZ NEW CASTLEVANIA!!!!!!!!!!

Ahem... fucking awesome, I'll get to play this whether it comes out for the DS or XBLA!

Onyx Oblivion

Borderlands Addict. Again.
Sep 9, 2008
Zeithri said:
WE'RE LIVING IN THE 20XX CENTURY AND WE CAN'T MAKE COOPERATIVE STORYDRIVEN GAMES?!
WHERE THE FUCK IS MEGAMAN? IT'S 20XX!

OT:

I simply adore all the 2D Castlevania games on the DS, so a 2D one on XBLA is just as damn good.

UnusualStranger

Keep a hat handy
Jan 23, 2010
I remember seeing something done for this.

It was purely fan made and just for entertainment purposes, but watching two people throw down against enemies using their separate abilities as they saw fit was pretty freaking sweet.

One throwing a cross to kill the little things, the other charging to whip some big bastards. Awesome.

Alufear

May 1, 2009
Love to have another Castlevania, but I don't play well with others, and I'm guessing that most other series faithful are the same.