48 FPS movies. Better than 24 FPS?

Bradeck

Sep 5, 2011
Can someone post a link about what the human eye can percieve, and what the brain can process? Because the first thing I learned in film school is the reason there are 24 frames of footage in a single second of film, is because that is the natural speed at which the human eye can process images. Thats why it's the industry standard for films. Thats what I learned anyway. That's also why I've been so confused about this "framerate craze" that has taken over. Who is right? And can you please site?

FarleShadow

Oct 31, 2008
Regnes said:
FEichinger said:
You don't actually see the higher framerate
WRONG!!!!

The human eye can perceive at least 100 FPS, and in fact, the human eye's limits have not even been fully tested due to a lack of sophisticated enough means.
Absolutely wrong without even needing sophisticated testing methods.
(N.B: 1000 milliseconds in 1 second. Every 10 milliseconds a new frame comes up.)

Mental chronometry testing indicates that the average brain requires around 190ms (miliseconds) time to respond to a visual stimulus (Example: Pressing a button when a green light comes on).

When compared to 100fps movie, frames missed: 19.

Saccades, which are the fast movement of the eye that allow us to focus the maximum amount of light on the most sensitive part of our eyes that allow our brain to construct a 3-d representation of the world function at around us, typically require 200ms to initate (To an unexpected stimulus) and then stick for around 20ms before moving to another point.

100fps movie frames missed: 20 (During initation), 2 (actually watched).

Ah, I could go on, breaking down ever single step until I prove my point, but the fact is that even with these inexpertly done calculations, the maximum FPS of the human brain and eye system can't even approach 100 fps, maybe 50-70 under best circumstances.

I think the reality is that, past a certain point, its not about 'quality', its about 'Screen-peen!'

Edit: Note I'm talking about the ENTIRE VISUAL SYSTEM and not just the chemical interactions that occur when light hits the rods/cones in the eye, I'm talking the light hitting to our brains working it. just fyi.