EA Responds to Mass Effect Report on Fox News

Andy Chalk

One Flag, One Fleet, One Cat
Nov 12, 2002
EA Responds to Mass Effect Report on Fox News

Mass Effect [http://www.ea.com]report, requesting the network "correct the record" on the popular roleplaying game.

A Fox News segment on Monday featured a brief debate, transcribed on ESRB [http://gamepolitics.com/2008/01/22/1993/].

In response, Electronic Arts Vice President of Communications Jeff Brown has sent a letter to Teri Van Horn, producer of the Fox News Live Desk program which aired the Mass Effect segment. The letter, posted on Kotaku [http://kotaku.com/348187/ea-calls-fox-out-on-insulting-mass-effect-inaccuracies], points out several "errors and misstatements" made on the program with regards to the sexual content of the game and its alleged marketing to children, and provides detailed corrections. From the letter:

Your headline above the televised story read: "New videogame shows full digital nudity and sex."
Fact: Mass Effect does not include explicit or frontal nudity. Love scenes in non-interactive sequences include side and profile shots - a vantage frequently used in many prime-time television shows. It's also worth noting that the game requires players to develop complex relationships before characters can become intimate and players can chose to avoid the love scenes altogether.

FNC voice-over reporter says: "You'll see full digital nudity and the ability for players to engage in graphic sex."
Fact: Sex scenes in Mass Effect are not graphic. These scenes are very similar to sex sequences frequently seen on network television in prime time.

FNC reporter says: "Critics say Mass Effect is being marketed to kids and teenagers."
Fact: That is flat out false. Mass Effect and all related marketing has been reviewed by the Entertainment Software Rating Board (ESRB) and rated Mature - appropriate for players 17-years and older. ESRB routinely counsels retailers on requesting proof of age in selling M-rated titles and the system has been lauded by members of Congress and the Federal Trade Commission. In practical terms, the ratings work as well or better than those used for warning viewers about television content.

Brown goes on to suggest that the Fox treatment of the game "represents a new level of recklessness," and wrote, "Do you watch the Fox Network? Do you watch The OC [http://www.familyguy.com/]? Do you think the sexual situations in Mass Effect are any more graphic than scenes routinely aired on those shows? Do you honestly believe that young people have more exposure to Mass Effect than to those prime time shows?"

Although EA is typically the target of enthusiastic trashing by gamers, in this instance they're receiving widespread applause and support for both standing up for the industry and taking the moral high ground while doing so: In his conclusion, Brown wrote, "This isn't a legal threat; it's an appeal to your sense of fairness. We're asking FNC to correct the record on Mass Effect."

Frapple

Sep 7, 2007
Three cheers for Jeff Brown and all the people at EA Communications/Public Relations.

Anyway, back to my murder simulator...I mean sex simulator...I mean anti-family values devil machine.

tendo82

Uncanny Valley Cave Dweller
Nov 30, 2007
It's a good response, although truthfully I think EA could have chosen to stay silent and the whole affair would have been little more than spit in a river.

This is how Fox News works, and their day to day panels commenting on the moral corruption of society fail to move much beyond background noise. Also I'm of the opinion that although moral tirades against videogames will continue for another ten years, because they've proven themselves to be a financial juggernaut it's unlikely we'll see any real restrictions placed on their output. I think we might see a game here or there that becomes an example, but by and large content will continue to get riskier and the industry will continue to grow.

Lampdevil

Dec 12, 2007
This was completely unexpected. I... I figured that EA would just ignore the whole kerfuffle. That they're not taking this lying down? I'm impressed. Very impressed.

The perception of video games in society will not change if the gamers and game makers don't stand up! And EA is standing up! So... woo!

meridiangod

Dec 13, 2007
I think EA made an excellent point when they compared the content of this game being no different from what actually airs on network TV. This game is rated "M" for ages 17 and higher where these network shows with similar content, to my knowledge, are rated "TV-14". It's upsetting that these fear-mongering journalists seem to be jumping on this bandwagon, seemingly without any knowledge of the industry, for nothing more than ratings.

Kudos for EA taking a stand against this senseless slander of their product.

Disgustor

Jan 2, 2008
Lampdevil said:
This was completely unexpected. I... I figured that EA would just ignore the whole kerfuffle. That they're not taking this lying down? I'm impressed. Very impressed.

The perception of video games in society will not change if the gamers and game makers don't stand up! And EA is standing up! So... woo!
I agree, and I love the fact that it's EA of all people. Hopefully the industry response to these expert non-gamers will become more articulated (and noticeable) from hereon - thus far it's only really been the "working example" gamers who have had the guts to retaliate.

But if EA had stayed quiet, the Fox "panel" would have looked as insignificant as they are, and then maybe television would finally look its age. Basically, the only reason networks come up with drivel like this is because TV is a dying medium - and who better to be mind-numbingly conservative about this technological progression than Fox News?

I blame winter. It's making Murdoch's journalists all traditionalistic. Just look at that creature from The Times the other day....

PettingZOOPONY

Dec 2, 2007
The only reason EA stood up is because they saw this as a threat to their pocket book, there is no nobility in what they did at all just smart business.

Melaisis

Dec 9, 2007
Terramax said:
Side with EA or Fox. This has got to be the hardest decision known to man?
I concur.

Its pretty obvious that, whilst EA doesn't really give two shits about its 'hardcore' gaming community as long as they can make millions from the more causal crowd, they are obviously out to defend themselves on this one. Note that they are hardly defending the great values of gaming or anything, just branding FOX a liar (what's new?) and defending their own product as any business would.

But at least it is good to see someone high-profile sticking up for gaming.

greygelgoog

Dec 29, 2007
Congratulations EA, you managed to take the moral high-ground against FOX News. How did you accomplish this insurmountable task? How did you manage to face their flawless logic? How could you defeat the same thorough research that told us that Mark Foley was really a democrat?

Arbre

Jan 13, 2007
Brown goes on to suggest that the Fox treatment of the game "represents a new level of recklessness," and wrote, "Do you watch the Fox Network? Do you watch Family Guy? Have you ever seen The OC? Do you think the sexual situations in Mass Effect are any more graphic than scenes routinely aired on those shows? Do you honestly believe that young people have more exposure to Mass Effect than to those prime time shows?"
The real question was "do you still watch Fox News?"

sammyfreak

Dec 5, 2007
I thought i would never say this, but 3 cheers for EA.

Sure they were just defending a product of a company that they own (something i will never forgive them for), but it was done in the professional and dignified way that the videogame industry lacks!

The first step of many on the path of repentance for their horrible crimes.

Drong

Oct 31, 2007
Terramax said:
Side with EA or Fox. This has got to be the hardest decision known to man?
Not really, i mean i've said some pretty harsh things about EA before and sometimes i've even had good reason too but comparing them to fox is like comparing a playground bully to the devil.

Nov 5, 2007
Well, it's nice to see a big bucks company standing up for their media. If it had been a small indie developer, we probably wouldn't be talking about it now(well, maybe a little I guess) but this time it's a company that's in the business for money, not the art or whatever.

Feels weird to see EA standing up to defend their game like that. It's like seeing.... I dunno, fill the gap with a witty analogy if you please but you get my point. Maybe Fox will take EA more seriously since it covers a big mainstream audience and is making a bunch of profit. But maybe I am underestimating Fox News dumbness.

KefZ_X

Nov 14, 2007
Im confused by the whole issue, the game clearly reads MA15+ (For us Australians) which is ment for mature audiences so if minor got their hands on this game the question falls upon the parents (or Guardians). Gamers at the age of 15 and over know more about sex then our parents of FOX News thought and probably don't feel like paying $100 for 2 second of computer animated ass.