Fully Playable Tetris Recreated In StarCraft II

John Funk

U.N. Owen Was Him?
Dec 20, 2005
Fully Playable Tetris Recreated In StarCraft II

The StarCraft II [http://www.gamestop.com/Catalog/ProductDetails.aspx?product_id=65548] map editor continues to impress with its versatility: One modder has already used it to build a completely playable version of Alexey Pazhitnov's classic Tetris.

Funnily enough, this isn't the first time we've reported on StarCraft II and Tetris [http://www.escapistmagazine.com/news/view/99685-StarCraft-II-Tetris-Is-Pointless-Somehow-Amusing]. However, while that previous video was just that, a video - someone manually raising and lowering the Supply Depots quickly enough to simulate Tetris - this is an actual, playable game.

It really is impressive just how versatile and powerful the StarCraft II editor is shaping up to be, and it hasn't even been out for two weeks yet. StarCraftKart was just a silly little demo [http://www.escapistmagazine.com/news/view/100235-Hey-Kids-Are-You-Ready-for-StarCraftKart], but this Tetris variant has different rules, it has scoring, it has completely different controls - and it was made in the map editor for an RTS.

I can't even imagine what full-on custom games are going to look like with this thing: Can you imagine the next generation of DotA? I can't, but I'm sure it's going to be awesome.

Jared

The British Paladin
Jul 14, 2009
Thats just...wow.

Hehe, goes to show really, as said, how flexiable the system really is! Great!

Slycne

Tank Ninja
Feb 19, 2006
I always enjoyed the creative Custom User Maps from the first game, but a few short weeks have outshined the variety you could find there. It's hard to think that this is only the tip of the iceberg.

Mar 16, 2009
John Funk said:
I can't even imagine what full-on custom games are going to look like with this thing: Can you imagine the next generation of DotA? I can't, but I'm sure it's going to be awesome.
The next generations of DotA have thankfully left the Blizzard games. League of Legends and (the inferior) Heroes of Newerth are made in the same vein but made as a full, legitimate, and free standalone titles.

I don't want to see DotA take over SC2. It completely ruined Warcraft 3. If you look at the game now, 99% of the games are bot created DotA games. It is nearly impossible to enjoy some of the other games from the golden days of UMS.

Gxas

Sep 4, 2008
I really just enjoy the people who still say that Starcraft 2 brings no innovation. This proves them so wrong.

hazabaza1

Want Skyrim. Want. Do want.
Nov 26, 2008
Well, that's another push towards getting this game. I'll need to think on this.

oneplus999

Oct 4, 2007
AstorSapolsky said:
I don't want to see DotA take over SC2. It completely ruined Warcraft 3. If you look at the game now, 99% of the games are bot created DotA games. It is nearly impossible to enjoy some of the other games from the golden days of UMS.
???

It didn't ruin UMS games, it just ruined ladder, cause between brood war and dota, there were clearly better games out there for the people who might consider playing ladder. there were still plenty of other UMS games out there.

Peace Frog

May 31, 2008
Well, I would actually call Heroes of Newerth the next generation of DotA, and isn't limited by any map editor.

Brotherofwill

Jan 25, 2009
Hahaha, man he sucks at this game. To his credit, he's doing it while narrating, but it's still funny to see him cock it up.

Perticular Elk

Jul 9, 2008
It looks like they have been playing the beta too long. How bored do you need to be with a game if you make tetris using its map maker software?

Eleima

Keeper of the GWJ Holocron
Feb 21, 2010
A full, playable Tetris??? Wow, just mind-blowing...

I have to ask, though... is anyone using the map editor to create, you know... Playable maps? ;)

deth2munkies

Jan 28, 2009
Perticular Elk said:
It looks like they have been playing the beta too long. How bored do you need to be with a game if you make tetris using its map maker software?
Considering it's (the map editor) been out for just under 2 weeks? Not too long.

Apr 28, 2008
Eleima said:
A full, playable Tetris??? Wow, just mind-blowing...

I have to ask, though... is anyone using the map editor to create, you know... Playable maps? ;)
Pfft, thats not what map editors are for :p

Wait...

OT: Wow, seeing stuff like this always amazes me. Just... well done.