Dark Crystal Sequel Announced

Logan Westbrook

Transform, Roll Out, Etc
Feb 21, 2008
Dark Crystal Sequel Announced

Puppets and fantasy mix again as a sequel to the eighties classic The Dark Crystal is announced.

The Jim Henson Company has announced that a sequel to the 1982 movie The Dark Crystal [http://www.amazon.com/Dark-Crystal-Jim-Henson/dp/B00000JPH6/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&s=dvd&qid=1278522744&sr=1-1] is in production. The sequel, titled Power of the Dark Crystal, is to be made in Australia and is set hundreds of years after the first movie, and follows the adventures of a girl made of fire and a gelfling outcast as they try to use the Dark Crystal's power to re-ignite the sun at the centre of the world.

The movie is being written by Craig Pearce, who wrote Where The Wild Things Are [http://www.amazon.com/Moulin-Rouge-Widescreen-Nicole-Kidman/dp/B000077VR3/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&s=dvd&qid=1278522767&sr=1-1] to life. The film is being directed by the Spierig brothers, who most recently directed vampire thriller Daybreakers [http://www.escapistmagazine.com/videos/view/escape-to-the-movies/1368-Daybreakers]

"We feel a tremendous amount of responsibility in telling this story with the same meticulous care that Jim Henson and Frank Oz gave the 1982 original," said Micheal Spierig. "This is a chance to take the world of puppetry into the modern age by using modern techniques (like motion capture CGI) and the tried and true methods (like puppetry and animatronics) to create a one hundred percent real world that is unique to The Dark Crystal," added Peter Spierig

The Dark Crystal was one of the staples of my childhood, so I'm both excited and nervous about the sequel. It's very reassuring that so much effort seems to be going into retaining what made the first movie great, but still, it's a sequel to a movie that doesn't really need one, and that rarely goes well.

Source: Slashfilm [http://www.slashfilm.com/2010/05/04/spierig-brothers-to-direct-dark-crystal-sequel/] via Topless Robot [http://www.toplessrobot.com/2010/05/get_ready_for_the_dark_crystal_2_the_even_darker_c.php]

squid5580

Elite Member
Feb 20, 2008
That could possibly be the best news this year. I love DC. Scared the pants off of me when I was a wee one. Please don't screw it up.

vivadelkitty

Dec 21, 2008
Oh my Gods YES! This is the announcement I've been waiting for!
...I really hope they end up not ruining it.

Apr 28, 2008
HA! Thats awesome!

Granted I'm not too thrilled on the CGI stuff... I recently saw the first one last year, and I loved how it didn't go all CGI. I really hope they don't put a lot into the movie.

Gxas

Sep 4, 2008
But... But... That would totally...

STOP CHANGING MY CHILDHOOD!

I III II X4

Nov 14, 2008
As they lie dying.

That is all. (Yes, I'm jaded 'bout Dark Crystal...but I'll never miss the opportunity for a joke, NEVER)

In seriousness though, 'least the plot's new, so I'll keep my eyes open for it.

shogunblade

Apr 13, 2009
Hopeless Bastard said:
I'm sorry, but the only thing that ever needs to be said about a dark crystal sequel has already been said by frank oz. "Why?"
You ninja'd me, but I agree. The Dark Crystal is an amazing movie, but a sequel just isn't needed here.

Starke

Mar 6, 2008
Irridium said:
HA! Thats awesome!

Granted I'm not too thrilled on the CGI stuff... I recently saw the first one last year, and I loved how it didn't go all CGI. I really hope they don't put a lot into the movie.
There might be a good reason for that. It was impossible to do CG in 1982 (Tron doesn't count).

This isn't intended as a dig at you, just saying, heavy CG in a film doesn't really start until Jurassic Park or so.

ZaronX

Feb 25, 2010
I never saw the original movie, but they did a manga follow-up sequel... thing. I only ever saw/found/heard of the first book, but what was there was interesting enough that I've wanted to see what spawned it, and have interest in this.

Hopeless Bastard said:
I'm sorry, but the only thing that ever needs to be said about a dark crystal sequel has already been said by frank oz. "Why?"
If you have a rich enough world, a "sequel" doesn't necessarily need to follow suit at all aside from taking place in the same general world as its source, or having some loose ties to the original. See: Final Fantasy 1 through 5 or something all being about the Crystals of Light and Darkness, but otherwise not having much connection save some monster types.

A story can be completely new and hold it's own despite being set in the same world. I wish more sequels and follow-ups would take on this mentality.

Wrds

Dyslexic Wonder
Sep 4, 2008
Well at least it's not a remake. Hopefully this doesn't disappoint.

Starke

Mar 6, 2008
Hopeless Bastard said:
Starke said:
Irridium said:
HA! Thats awesome!

There might be a good reason for that. It was impossible to do CG in 1982 (Tron doesn't count).

This isn't intended as a dig at you, just saying, heavy CG in a film doesn't really start until Jurassic Park or so.
Even jurassic park was only around 40% CG. Most of the best scenes were model work.

And tron does count. It likely took several months to render all the CG in Tron. All fifty or so polygons. (or were they still ray tracing?)
I think that was actually ray tracing. But I'd have to check. Jurassic Park is just the turning point. After that CG started to become the norm.

Apr 28, 2008
Starke said:
Irridium said:
HA! Thats awesome!

Yeah, I know when it was made. I just don't want to see an interesting and good series turn into another CGI fantasy adventure...

RJ Dalton

Aug 13, 2009
Hopeless Bastard said:
Agreed. DC was a good experiment and well presented. Not too impressive in terms of plot, but considering that plot wasn't terribly important on their list of things to do in that movie, I'm not complaining. There's nothing more about it that needs saying and I suspect the only reason they've waited this long is so that any rights the original owners of the movie had to it have expired, giving the studio the right to fuck around with it as much as possible.
And, as far as this tells me, the plot has little to do with the original DC, so why not just make it an entirely new project? Free themselves from the burden of the original and do something else without having to worry about pissing off the cult following? The idea of a sequel at this point is stupid.

Starke

Mar 6, 2008
Irridium said:
Starke said:
Irridium said:
HA! Thats awesome!

Yeah, I know when it was made. I just don't want to see an interesting and good series turn into another CGI fantasy adventure...
Wait, what? You know when it was made, but compliment them on their decision to avoid using technology that didn't exist... ...why does my headmeats hurt? :(

Cousin_IT

Feb 6, 2008
NNNNNNOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I'll still go watch it, fool that I am.

Starke

Mar 6, 2008
Hopeless Bastard said:
Since all the people who designed the original are dead or not working on the project, what beyond "high budget fanfiction" are they going to accomplish?
Destroying our childhood one shitty series necro at a time?

Hopeless Bastard said:
In short, "Why?"
Money? A terminal case of the stupids? Honestly, you're probably dead on the money by calling it "high budget fanfiction."