Glimpse Gobs of New Mario Galaxy 2 Gameplay Goodies

John Funk

U.N. Owen Was Him?
Dec 20, 2005
Glimpse Gobs of New Mario Galaxy 2 Gameplay Goodies

If you don't want to see a good five minutes' worth of Super Mario Galaxy 2 gameplay footage featuring Mario, his brother Luigi, faithful companion Yoshi, and eternal nemesis Bowser, then you shouldn't click this.

By now, you know the drill: Super Mario Galaxy was phenomenal, and Galaxy 2 looks to be following suit. Every bit of new gameplay footage feels like Nintendo is injecting pure childish happy directly into my brain with a syringe clad in a red shirt and overalls.

So the news that GameTrailers [http://www.gametrailers.com/] had a bunch of new SMG2 gameplay clips was fairly well-received by Yours Truly, to say the least. There are four new gameplay montages, one showing off everything Yoshi can do, and then one apiece for each of the game's first three worlds.

There's also a fifth video that shows that Mario's brother and second banana will be returning in Galaxy 2 - gasp and shock. Judging by the video, Luigi can do everything his elder sibling can do, only he looks a bit sillier and lankier doing it.

If you're trying to remain completely unspoiled for Galaxy 2, it goes without saying: Don't watch these videos! I mean, you might learn that Mario, at some point, will have at least one boss battle against Bowser, and who could have ever expected that? It just came out of nowhere!

Simply put, SMG2 [http://www.gamestop.com/Catalog/ProductDetails.aspx?product_id=75083] looks amazing. It's out on May 23 here in North America, and early June in Europe.

[gametrailers=65196]

[gametrailers=65197]

[gametrailers=65198]

[gametrailers=65199]

[gametrailers=65200]

Pure. Childish. Happy.

(Via CVG [http://www.computerandvideogames.com/article.php?id=245450])

SomeBritishDude

Nov 1, 2007
Just the chance to play as Luigi improves this game 10 fold for me. Too bad he doesn't carry his trusty hoover though.

Soxafloppin

Coxa no longer floppin'
Jun 22, 2009
Luigi! Im suddenly vastly more interested in this game, though it does look pretty confussing in places.

Zombie Nixon

Sep 3, 2009
Is gameplay footage really that big a deal?

It's a mario game. We already know exactly what we're going to get.

The Rascal King

Aug 13, 2009
God damn am I excited for this game. I can't wait to get a shitload of stars to play as the lovable green dude.

CrystalShadow

don't upset the insane catgirl
Apr 11, 2009
SomeBritishDude said:
Just the chance to play as Luigi improves this game 10 fold for me. Too bad he doesn't carry his trusty hoover though.
Wahful said:
Luigi! Im suddenly vastly more interested in this game, though it does look pretty confussing in places.
Heh. I must be insane then. Either you've never played Super Mario Galaxy at all, or you gave up.

I got 121 stars...
And to do that, you have to play through the whole game. Twice.
Once as Mario, and then again as Luigi.

So, Luigi isn't new to Super Mario Galaxy 2.
Though I guess they made it less difficult for people to get to play as him. XD

Heh... Nothing quite as frustrating as playing through "Luigi's purple coins" In the toy-time galaxy... As Luigi...

Radeonx

Apr 26, 2009
This looks awesome. It probably won't have the ability to be played with a Gamecube controller, which, ironically, is what I want in every Wii game that interests me.

FloodOne

Apr 29, 2009
Meh. I've never had much love for 3D Mario dating all the way back to Mario 64. This footage does little to spark my interest.

Cabisco

May 7, 2009
This looks like a really fun game, are they multiplayer at all? If so, I might have to force a friend to buy it. Ahhh for once in my life, i'm a little dissapointed I don't own a wii.

War Penguin

Serious Whimsy
Jun 13, 2009
It's times like these that make me happy that I didn't sell my Wii. :D

Pre-order, here I come.

Radeonx

Apr 26, 2009
Demon ID said:
This looks like a really fun game, are they multiplayer at all? If so, I might have to force a friend to buy it. Ahhh for once in my life, i'm a little dissapointed I don't own a wii.
The only multiplayer is co-op in which one player controls Mario, and the other points at the screen and collects the star shards.

Cabisco

May 7, 2009
Radeonx said:
Demon ID said:
The only multiplayer is co-op in which one player controls Mario, and the other points at the screen and collects the star shards.
Hmmm, i'm not quite sure how fun that would be as from the description it sounds quite boring. Still, that game does look fun enough that if i'm left in a house with it and a Wii, I shall be playing it until the house owners look on bemused at how bad I am.

John Funk

U.N. Owen Was Him?
Dec 20, 2005
Demon ID said:
Radeonx said:
Demon ID said:
Hmmm, i'm not quite sure how fun that would be as from the description it sounds quite boring. Still, that game does look fun enough that if i'm left in a house with it and a Wii, I shall be playing it until the house owners look on bemused at how bad I am.
It's actually a surprising amount of fun. What's great is that the second player is involved but it's not very demanding, which makes it perfect for parents playing with kids, or if you're playing with a significant other who doesn't game.

I played the first one with my girlfriend at the time doing the star bits collecting. She could have never put up with the serious platforming parts without getting frustrated, but she was playing - and being a genuine help - alongside me. It was a great way to keep her involved (and hence not just watching passively) at something fairly simple.

Frankly, it's brilliant IMO.

Cabisco

May 7, 2009
John Funk said:
Demon ID said:
Radeonx said:
Demon ID said:
It's actually a surprising amount of fun. What's great is that the second player is involved but it's not very demanding, which makes it perfect for parents playing with kids, or if you're playing with a significant other who doesn't game.

I played the first one with my girlfriend at the time doing the star bits collecting. She could have never put up with the serious platforming parts without getting frustrated, but she was playing - and being a genuine help - alongside me. It was a great way to keep her involved (and hence not just watching passively) at something fairly simple.

Frankly, it's brilliant IMO.
While that does sound great for many people who lack any real knowledge of how to play games I sadly don't think that would work for me. I personally like to be at the forefront, doing my part for the team (hense why most of my games are FPS in nature). I don't really like taking a backseat, nor do the people I would potentially play this with. But credit wheres its due, it sounds like Nintendo are trying to make their games as accessible as they can and thats great for the industry as a whole. It's nice to know if i'm ever living in a none gamer environment, the Wii would make a great doorway for people. This is of cause what I hope Natal amounts to, that and the ability to quite literally teabag my foes.

BobisOnlyBob

is Only Bob
Nov 29, 2007
Doctor VonSexMachine said:
jizzed in my pants
[...]
play this with my little sister.
Steady on Doctor.

SomeBritishDude said:
Have to say. Bowser is fucking huge this time.
Aye, he actually looks scary again.

I notice the utterly irrelevant lives system remains. Ah, Nintendo, why? There's no point.

Brainst0rm

Apr 8, 2010
BobisOnlyBob said:
I notice the utterly irrelevant lives system remains. Ah, Nintendo, why? There's no point.
There's not much point, true. But there has to be a consequence for dying - on some levels it simply puts you back at a certain point, and that's when lives actually matter. If you run out you have to do the whole level again, which makes them valuable later in the game doing the harder challenges. Apart from that they don't get in the way, so why get upset about it?