id Explains the Rage Apocalypse

Logan Westbrook

Transform, Roll Out, Etc
Feb 21, 2008
id Explains the Rage Apocalypse

Ever wonder why Rage [http://www.amazon.com/Rage-Xbox-360/dp/B00354NAYG/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&s=videogames&qid=1278517000&sr=1-1] went post-apocalyptic? Well, amongst other things, muscle cars with guns.

A lot of worlds get ended in videogames, so much so that if you asked a room full of gamers what their favorite gaming apocalypse was, there's a good chance that you'd get a dozen different answers.

With so much apocalyptic energy going around, id's decision to set its upcoming game Rage in a world decimated by asteroids might seem a little strange. But id's Tim Willits says that the reason behind this is a very simple one: fun.

"People ask us 'why is this post-apocalyptic,'" said Willits, "and one of the reasons is that when John [Carmack] had created this technology, he actually downloaded NASA geographic data and he was streaming it and it was really cool and we were looking at it and thought 'oh, we can make a game with this. OK, it's gotta be outdoors, and then we'll have cars and we need to put guns on the cars.'"

"And then we found that we wanted to have a setting that allows us to do this over the top sci-fi stuff that we like to do at id but we wanted to have it grounded in stuff that people can relate to: muscle cars, machine guns and stuff. So the post-apocalyptic setting worked out really well for us, because it allowed us to have a rich environment with over the top gameplay that people can relate to."

With so many games trying to be grim and dark, it's refreshing to see a team inject some plain old fun into the mix. You can find out more about Rage by reading our preview here [http://www.escapistmagazine.com/articles/view/editorials/reviews/previews/7506-id-Gets-Back-to-Business-A-Preview-of-Rage].

Anachronism

Apr 9, 2009
Logan Westbrook said:
stuff that people can relate to: muscle cars, machine guns
I don't know about anyone else, but those do not fall under the list of things I can relate to.

That being said, I am looking forward to Rage. I really enjoy id's games, and if my computer can run it, there's a very good chance I'll get this one. They're never particularly deep or complicated, but they're great fun.

Billion Backs

Apr 20, 2010
That actually sounds somewhat entertaining.

Living under a stone, I was actually half-expecting to read something about the whole 28 (Measurement of Time) franchise. Heh.

Gigaguy64

Special Zero Unit
Apr 22, 2009
haha!
Ihis is cool.

I agree that Post-apocalyptic is kinda worn out but, its also a fun idea.
There are tons of things that you can add to the mix.

Ill be looking foreword to this game.

VanityGirl

Apr 29, 2009
I'm very excited about Rage. It seems like a super fun game. And really, you can't go wrong with muscle cars and guns!

scnj

Nov 10, 2008
I find that id usually deliver, so I'm looking forward to Rage.

Jared

The British Paladin
Jul 14, 2009
Well, that is certainly unique! Looking really promising!

Hyper-space

Nov 25, 2008
i hope to sweet Raptor Jesus that Rage will be Fallout 3 only with muscle cars.

Let the epicness ensue

Optimus Hagrid

Feb 14, 2009
Though I'm set in old id ways (why is there a revolver in the screenshot, grr), I anticipate this new title, though only if it comes out for consoles.

The Rockerfly

Dec 31, 2008
Hopeless Bastard said:
Hyper-space said:
i hope to sweet Raptor Jesus that Rage will be Fallout 3 only with muscle cars.

Let the epicness ensue
So you actually want a stiff piss easy game with a main campaign thats only about 2 hours long?

Ideally something like borderlands (but better) is warranted here. Muscle cars and machine guns demands more mad max and less reskinned oblivion.
If you honestly only cared about the campaign then you're missing the point of Bethesda games and for difficulty there is an option to increase the difficultly, try playing the game on the hardest settings and you will quake in fear whenever you see any enemy, regardless of how powerful you are

The Rockerfly

Dec 31, 2008
Hopeless Bastard said:
No, sorry, its piss easy on any difficulty. VATS breaks any possibility of the game being difficult in any way, shape, or form.

Also, the main quest is supposed to be what gets you to give a shit about the world you're going to spend the next how ever many hours fucking up or saving. Its supposed to exist as a sort of primer into how the game/world works. Its also supposed to drive you forward. But since Oblivion with guns has level scaling, this can't happen. So with nothing to drive you forward you either mindlessly explore (actively ignoring the main campaign) or you just turn the game off. Thusly, the main quest failed in every way it possibly could.
Go into the Death Claw village on the hardest difficulty and tell me that. The VATs only break the game if you have the grim reaper perk and enemies from a range can still kill you instantly on the hardest difficulty

I'm sorry but, wut? Enemies don't level scale with you

http://planetfallout.gamespy.com/wiki/Does_Fallout_3_Have_Level_Scaling_Like_Oblivion%3F

Okay so you may not initially care, but there is enough reason including resources, extra story lines, interesting locations to make it worthwhile. A main game should have major impacts on the world and side quests should be small impacts which is what the game does.

If it is Oblivion with guns, how are locations different, people you meet different, more voice actors, better weapons overall, better DLC, different world, different quests and different overall feel to the game.

How long did you actually play the game? It sounds like you labelled it a bad game and facts before actually confirming them

The Rockerfly

Dec 31, 2008
Hopeless Bastard said:
Bad arguments with unjustified
No there isn't, I have played the game several times over, given you an article to prove it what more do you want? New enemies appear when you get stronger but that keeps the game balanced. It has the same levelling system as Morrowind than Oblivion

You can't break the game like that, it takes time for the VATs to come back and it's not 100% accurate by any means. You can also still get hurt in VATs

No it wasn't, they addressed the problems and changed them. Maybe you didn't play the game long enough to realise it. As an avid hater of Oblivion I know the flaws of Oblivion and fallout 3 fixed them. Levelling, generic locations, bad voice acting and uninspiring weapons. Fallout had a different levelling system, smaller locations that looked different, at least 5 times extra voice actors and some kick arse weapons. If you want I can write a massive long reason why but I seriously doubt you would read them and it would be a waste of my time

I also don't give a shit about Bethsuda, however I do give a shit about people spouting unjustified opinions and just wrong information about a game they seem to have very little accurate information on

The Rockerfly

Dec 31, 2008
Hopeless Bastard said:
Gamespy can say whatever it wants. But that doesn't make it true. Just because every creature in oblivion with guns has a level cap (that are all lower than the player's, but still absurdly high) doesn't suddenly mean there is no level scaling.

Bethesda took an easily broken leveling scheme (don't put points in the skills you're going to use) and pre-broke it (all stats other than int are worthless and there are more than enough skill points just lying around to max out every skill).

And assume I'm deaf, because I've yet to mention voice acting. Its irrelevant to the bad writing anyway, as bethesda games could have an all star cast and still sound like a intermediary school production of harry potter.

Bethesda has always had a lot of really good ideas hindered by dodgy execution. The point where they actually seemed to achieve a sort of balance being morrowind. Everything after that just started being bad ideas with bad execution.

Arguing that oblivion with guns was a good game is just saying you're easily impressed. You can post whatever you like after this, I'm going to attempt to not further derail a thread about a game that might actually be good.
Okay so you ignore a website want others? Fine
http://kotaku.com/5057227/how-fallout-3-is-different-than-oblivion

Look two websites and my own personal proof. The only thing that levels up with you is the main story, everything else is a set area. Have you understood that?

You said Fallout still had the same flaws as Oblivion right? The main flaw of Oblivion was the voice acting which Fallout 3 made much better. Either you are no addressing my points or you are contradicting yourself, I made a point, backed it up and provided evidence. You have just said it was shit with almost insane reasons and arguing that it's Oblivion with guns is only because Yahtzee said it
Form your own opinion, play the game for more than 5 minutes and then come back to me because what you are saying is untrue, unjust and just plainly wrong

Morrowind's combat sucked so hard it was ridiculous, it was the most poorly executed combat and set of locations I have played out of Oblivion, Morrowind and Fallout 3. If you honestly believe that then you should compare the games side by side because they are not.

Arguing that Morrowind was the best in series is arguing through a rose tinted pair of glasses and you should stop arguing with almost identical points to Yahtzee. Fallout 3 was critically successful, was fun and has masses of people still playing it to this date. How do you know I am easily impressed for liking one game that you disagree with, that's pretty shallow.