This Is Your New, Post-Cataclysm Warcraft

John Funk

U.N. Owen Was Him?
Dec 20, 2005
This Is Your New, Post-Cataclysm Warcraft

The World of Warcraft: Cataclysm [http://www.amazon.com/World-Warcraft-Cataclysm-Pc/dp/B002I0HKIU/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&s=videogames&qid=1278522215&sr=1-1] alpha test is under way, and with it comes a whopping horde of leaked screenshots of the new, ruined world of Azeroth.

At some point, you need to wonder why Blizzard keeps doing its Friends & Family Alpha tests. The notoriously-secretive developer has a large enough support team for WoW to practically do the tests all on their own, and the internal teams are far better at keeping mum. The moment the test gets opened to friends and family, though? Well, a full leak of the alpha client isn't far behind.

What must be annoying for Blizzard, though, is great news for us. Somebody at MMO Champion [http://www.mmo-champion.com/news-2/cataclysm-friends-family-alpha-198562/] is either in the alpha test, knows someone who is, or has access to the client, because they've posted a metric crapton (or would that just be a craptonne?) of screenshots of the post-Cataclysm world.

Frankly put: This looks fantastic. An almost-decade-old engine has no right to look so good, and it just goes to show how Blizzard's art direction is second to none. These images have instilled in me an anticipation for Cataclysm (or at least the press beta) that's honestly surprising.

There's so much here that I'd need ten news posts to discuss it all - let alone the new zones - so here are some quick items that made me go "Wait, whoa."

[blockquote]-As we learned at BlizzCon, the Thousand Needles have been flooded, which means that the raceway in the Shimmering Flats is now underwater. It's been replaced by Fizzle Pozzik's Speedbarge [http://www.escapistmagazine.com/images/display/66664], though "speed" and "barge" are not traditionally two words used together. A floating mini-raceway, perhaps?

-Ashenvale has suffered its share of natural changes, but also some man-made (well, orc-made) changes as well: Zoram'gar Outpost is a bit beefier [http://www.escapistmagazine.com/images/display/66665] than the last time we saw it.

-In fact, with Garrosh Hellscream as Warchief, the Horde has been gearing for war. You can see a defensive position outside Orgrimmar here to the right, but inside the city [http://www.escapistmagazine.com/images/display/66668] is just as iron-clad and ominous as the exterior. That is, excepting the new Goblin area, where they've set up beach umbrellas. There's also what looks to be a new gate leading directly north into Azshara, which is being retooled as an early Goblin zone.

-The Goblins have been hard at work reforming Azshara, with quarries and what looks like an elevated highway. Perhaps the most surprising Goblin addition of all, however, is a golf course [http://www.escapistmagazine.com/images/display/66666], part of "Gallywix Pleasure Palace." I wonder if there's a minigolf daily quest.

-A good portion of Mount Hyjal is now blackened by ash and lava as Ragnaros makes his move (and the Throne of Flame looks damn cool) but Nordrassil, the former World Tree, seems as peaceful and idyllic as ever [http://www.escapistmagazine.com/images/display/66667].

-Orgrimmar may have changed, but Stormwind still looks pretty much the same, though now we get to see Oh wait [http://www.escapistmagazine.com/images/display/66669].[/blockquote]

You can see the larger images - and tons more - over at MMO Champion, along with some datamined models and abilities (including one that suggests we'll be fighting both resurrected children of Deathwing - Onyxia and Nefarian - at the same time). If you play or have ever played WoW, it's well worth your time.

Though if you've since quit the game, you might want to pass it up. Almost everyone I know who's seen these has felt a very strong urge to reactivate their account - get out while you still can!

(MMO Champion [http://www.mmo-champion.com/news-2/cataclysm-friends-family-alpha-198562/])

(Thanks [http://www.escapistmagazine.com/forums/read/9.193098-Flood-of-WoW-Cataclysm-pictures-info-Spoilers], Jiraiya72!)

John Funk

U.N. Owen Was Him?
Dec 20, 2005
Mornelithe said:
Unfortunately, it's not about what it looks like anymore. The direction they've taken the game is losing allot of the older players, well, ok, to be fair I don't know 'every' older player. Simply, many of the folks who played Classic, aren't too keen on the changes coming for Cataclysm, to say nothing of the changes already made.
As someone who has been playing since a month after launch, the changes coming in Cataclysm are the best thing Blizzard could have ever done.

Classic was far and away the worst version of WoW, and every iteration has been an improvement. It had some advantages, but those were mainly just due to the game not being a SCIENCE yet. It had a bit more wonder and mystery to it, but in terms of being a game, it just pales to what we have now.

To be blunt, I think the people crying need to take off their nostalgia glasses of being part of an elite cadre who ruled the game solely by virtue of having the time to waste getting 40 people together (and I was one of those people), and face the facts: The game is better now than it's ever been.

Cowabungaa

Feb 10, 2008
I wonder what's up with Stormwind and what caused that whole in the ground near the Stockades.

And it's also good to hear that the Horde did not sack and take over Darnassus. Not that I visit that place so often, but it's such a brilliant place for Hide And Seek. That rumour circulated on my server for ages.

But I really can't wait for this, really really REALLY can't. I think I'm going to switch sides as well with my Dwarven Warrior. Screw the Alliance, sick of loosing in BG's as well and I sure as hell want to play a round on that golf course.

Now there's hoping that SW:TOR doesn't release too soon after Cataclysm.

Super Jamz

Apr 16, 2009
Call me an unobservant tit, but i can't actually see too much of a difference, it hardly looks 'ruined' to me.

Although i will say Guild Wars used a 'ruined world' in their first release.

Monshroud

Evil Overlord
Jul 29, 2009
Wow.... I may have to start logging in again and play... I like that they are redo'ing the 'Vanilla' lands because it will bring intrest back to those zones that most people just power level through so they could get to Northrend.

John Funk

U.N. Owen Was Him?
Dec 20, 2005
Super Jamz said:
Call me an unobservant tit, but i can't actually see too much of a difference, it hardly looks 'ruined' to me.

Although i will say Guild Wars used a 'ruined world' in their first release.
These were just some of the screens that I thought were interesting. The full gallery has a lot more.

Two Angels

Dec 25, 2009
I really doubt blizzard are that worried about it being leaked and creating a storm of hype which will most likely increase traffic to their site and also enquiries about the game which in turn will just make people want it more and thus willing to part with more cash for it. As a student of Marketing I can tell you this is a well thought out and planned "leak" that is unlikely to do damage to Blizzard in anyway. They're probably all sitting in their office rubbing their hands in glee as people go batsh*t insane over the new images and details.

As for the game... yea looks awesome but WoW wouldn't surive if they rolled out tripe so no real suprise that it'll be good.

AngryMongoose

Elite Member
Jan 18, 2010
John Funk said:
Somebody at MMO Champion [http://www.mmo-champion.com/news-2/cataclysm-friends-family-alpha-198562/] is either in the alpha test, knows someone who is, or has access to the client
That's just Boubouille. Blizzard know him, and would have to go completely crazy before they feel he won't leak anything and everything he gets his hands on. He probably knows some alpha testers, but more likely he's a Demi-god of WoW leaks.

Aeshi

Dec 22, 2009
I REALLY hope this won't up the requirements of the Vanilla areas up to WoTLK level.

SilverKyo

Apr 15, 2009
John Funk said:
As someone who has been playing since a month after launch, the changes coming in Cataclysm are the best thing Blizzard could have ever done.

Classic was far and away the worst version of WoW, and every iteration has been an improvement. It had some advantages, but those were mainly just due to the game not being a SCIENCE yet. It had a bit more wonder and mystery to it, but in terms of being a game, it just pales to what we have now.

To be blunt, I think the people crying need to take off their nostalgia glasses of being part of an elite cadre who ruled the game solely by virtue of having the time to waste getting 40 people together (and I was one of those people), and face the facts: The game is better now than it's ever been.
Right on Mr. Funk. I played for a couple months before BC came out, and every iteration of the game has been more enjoyable. All the people crying and complaining about how easy it is need to go do ICC 25 heroic and shut up. I have more fun with it now then I ever did before. Although, side note, I did enjoy the art direction of the BC raids more. Besides Ulduar, a lot of the WotLK stuff begins to look the same after a while.

To quote one of my favorite games (not WoW) "WITCH! Oh sorry, got confused by all your crying. Now I need you to cry your way over to the elevator and then sob your way down to the generator. Fill it up with your tears and we'll take care of the rest."

John Funk

U.N. Owen Was Him?
Dec 20, 2005
Mornelithe said:
John Funk said:

As someone who played daily from launch to about a month or two ago, I can say the exact opposite is the case for myself and a great many others. Let's completely forget about the fact they went and tried to make 25 divisible into 40. Or the fact that 10 and 25 man loot will be the same soon enough. The 'expertise' system forthcoming to Cataclysm will turn the game more cookie cutter than ever. Get rid of all the complex formula's they had for everything, and tie it all under one little system. That shouldn't make the game more simplistic, or predictable.

The game used to be actually...difficult. You know? Like...actually work towards something and you'll get it. Now...people just work at bitching. Then blizzard dumps the nerf hammer all over the game. Sweet. Anyway, it was a great run, had a blast while it remained relevant to me, thankfully I still have vents and TS info for most of my friends so we can coordinate which IP we move to next.
Hahaha, the game only used to be difficult because people were worse at it then. Because the playerbase hadn't yet distilled the game into a science. Because the itemization was crap (yeah, gotta love all that spell power on Hunter AQ40 gear...). Nowadays, we know that casters need (X) hit before they should even step inside a raid, and that tanks need (X) defense before they can think about doing heroics, and that we should all prioritize Stat A over Stat B over Stat C.

We didn't know that back then. We didn't have EJ theorycrafting. We didn't have all the tools we have now.

Compare fights in Molten Core and BWL with fights in Naxx, Ulduar? Fights are exponentially more complex - and interesting - than ever before. If you took a modern 25-man raid guild and took them back in time, and scaled all the Classic dungeons to fit 25 people, I guarantee you that they would blow through the content just as quickly as we do today. Hell, the longest unkilled bosses, C'Thun/Ouro/4H? Bugged, bugged, and needed an obscene gear requirement on 8 warriors, respectively. That's not hard, that's not challenging, that's stupid.

WoW used to be such an arcane snarl of numbers that only the privileged few used to be able to figure out. Now Blizzard is making it accessible to the other ten million people who play, and those elitists are getting their panties in a knot about it.

There are more options in WoW than ever before. There are more things to do than ever before. The quests are more varied, the fights more interesting, the lore more integrated than ever before. If you're hurt just because other people can do it and you aren't a special snowflake, then tough cookies and good riddance.

Generic you, btw. Speaking in general.

Aeshi

Dec 22, 2009
So in other words my old computer won't be able to run WoW at ALL now?Bugger

MmmFiber

Apr 19, 2009
Mornelithe said:
John Funk said:

As someone who played daily from launch to about a month or two ago, I can say the exact opposite is the case for myself and a great many others. Let's completely forget about the fact they went and tried to make 25 divisible into 40. Or the fact that 10 and 25 man loot will be the same soon enough. The 'expertise' system forthcoming to Cataclysm will turn the game more cookie cutter than ever. Get rid of all the complex formula's they had for everything, and tie it all under one little system. That shouldn't make the game more simplistic, or predictable.

The game used to be actually...difficult. You know? Like...actually work towards something and you'll get it. Now...people just work at bitching. Then blizzard dumps the nerf hammer all over the game. Sweet. Anyway, it was a great run, had a blast while it remained relevant to me, thankfully I still have vents and TS info for most of my friends so we can coordinate which IP we move to next.

By the way, nobody's 'crying'. We're just not renewing our accounts. It's my opinion that the game has turned into kiddy garbage. As such, I choose not to play. You can have every problem in the world with that, really you can. But, it's not changing a damn thing. My only regret is not donating the 7600g currently sitting on my inactive toon to my GB before I took off.
I too am worried that the game will be simplistic to the point of everything being a faceroll. The balance thing is cool, but I don't want every class to be the same. I just hope they get all the kinks ironed out before release.

At first when they started making things easier, I felt cheated. I had to pay lots of gold and wait till a later level AND grind rep to get my fast mount, but now they can get it at 40 for pocket change? My respec costs eclipse that amount. Hell, I probably pay more for repairs in a week on my pally. But, now I think it's for the best. New players can level faster, for cheaper. With all the action at lvl 80, you can't expect new players to want to grind for weeks just to start playing the game.

The classes will never be perfect. The game evolves, the players evolve, the classes evolve. I certainly don't want to go back to pallys just being healers or healers taking turns healing to regen mana. In the end though, there's really no need for me to convince you to play a game you don't like. I'm just saying my opinion. We play games to have fun right?

McNinja

Sep 21, 2008
That is so... awesome! I'm glad I still have my mage to play on.

Has anyone noticed how this always happens? There is always some guy who datamined ot is in the alpha test that leaks just about every possible thing he can.

I wouldn't put it past Blizzard to do this just to increase the hype for the game.