The One-Man Reverse-Parody Downfall Video Hits YouTube

Andy Chalk

One Flag, One Fleet, One Cat
Nov 12, 2002
The One-Man Reverse-Parody Downfall Video Hits YouTube

An enterprising YouTube user has posted a one-man reenactment of the famous Downfall [http://www.amazon.com/Downfall-Bruno-Ganz/dp/B0009RCPUC/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&s=dvd&qid=1278517057&sr=1-1] bunker scene, using the actual lines from the movie to come up with one of the funniest parodies yet.

The dozens of Downfall parody videos that have turned up on YouTube constitute one of the most famous internet memes of all time, yet their very existence has come under threat since rights holder Constantin Film filed a copyright complaint [http://www.escapistmagazine.com/news/view/100147-The-Downfall-of-Downfall-on-YouTube] last month. The videos are getting harder and harder to find, but a YouTube user by the name of Brandon Hardesty has come up with a twist that may give the old meme new legs.

Hardesty has basically turned the Downfall parody inside out: Instead of overlaying new subtitles on the scene, he's reenacted it, entirely by himself, with the original dialog and subtitles intact. It's a little weird, as you may have surmised, but also funny as hell in spots. For those of us who still haven't gotten around to actually seeing the movie, it's also a great way to finally find out what exactly the Fuhrer was screaming about.

For the record, Hardesty isn't German; he's a film student from Baltimore who did his best with the language. "This one was the absolute hardest video I've ever done," he wrote on YouTube. "I know I kind of muddled the German language a little, but damn... it's a hard language. It sounds like terrifying jibberish."

Take that, Constantin Film!

SharPhoe

The Nice-talgia Kerrick
Feb 28, 2009
I lost it when we was reenacting the crying woman himself. I think I'm sold on this one.
Also, it probably helps that I don't speak a lick of German, since I can't make out what might be muddled and what isn't.

Insanum

The Basement Caretaker.
May 26, 2009
Thats Brilliant, Purely Brilliant.

I Rofl'd when his moustache fell off.

Nincompoop

May 24, 2009
Okay. A little pointless in my opinion. What makes those subbings so fun is that it's always about something mundane or trivial, but the acting and atmosphere is top notch and serious.

This, however relatively well acted it was, was nothing compared to it, so if people will start using this from now on I'm sure I won't find it as funny as the originals.

sooperman

Partially Awesome at Things
Feb 11, 2009
I barely know what to say here. I just hope this guy doesn't get pulled like the other parodies did, considering he filmed the actual acting.

Hardesty is right though, German sounds completely ridiculous. Was the language invented by someone with strep throat?

Drakmeire

Elite Member
Jun 27, 2009
Country
United States
That is very clever and I can't wait until users start adding their own subtitles to this video. It just goes to show that you can't keep good thinkers down.

dls182

Viva La Squir
Jun 15, 2009
That was very well done! A lot better than I expected, if nothing else.

Kollega

Jun 5, 2009
Okay, i was sad, but now i'm laughing my arse off. The truly hilarious moment was when i saw he's also acting as a woman.

I'm pretty sure they can't pull that for copyright infrigiment.

sooperman said:
Hardesty is right though, German sounds completely ridiculous. Was the language invented by someone with strep throat?
No, it's just that you only hear screamy Hitler and screamy characters inspired by Hitler speaking German. It can sound rather nice if spoken by someone female (and preferably sexy).

seamusotorain

Dec 14, 2008
Andy, you said in the original piece that the remixes were great publicity, yet you haven't seen the movie yet?

Also, fair play to that guy.

Shockolate

Feb 27, 2010
What the hell kind of last name is Hardesty? Someone call the grammar Nazi's (See what I did there?)

Also, funny stuff. I miss those videos.

Brotherofwill

Jan 25, 2009
Haha, it's painfully obvious he can't speak German, but man, well done.
Kollega said:
No, it's just that you only hear screamy Hitler and screamy characters inspired by Hitler speaking German. It can sound rather nice if spoken by someone female (and preferably sexy).
Anything can sound sexy when spoken by a sexy female. But yeah, the way they speak in the movie doesn't resemble the sound of modern German.

scnj

Nov 10, 2008
I can't believe, after all this time, the woman is just saying "Gerda, please calm yourself".

Dec 14, 2009
Kollega said:
Okay, i was sad, but now i'm laughing my arse off. The truly hilarious moment was when i saw he's also acting as a woman.

I'm pretty sure they can't pull that for copyright infrigiment.

sooperman said:
Oh hell yes, I agree with you there. I prefer a sexy female German accent over a French one any day of the week.

SenseOfTumour

Jul 11, 2008
Even if it won't be the same, I kind of hope there are a flood of new videos re-subtitling this, as it'll be untouchable, unlike the original. Even tho the parodies got Downfall more viewings and more sales and rentals than their whole original advertising budget, I'd wager.

It's as crazy and demanding takedowns of music videos on youtube. A music video is an advert for the band, and companies are flipping out and demanding youtube stops advertising their products for free?

phoenix352

Mar 29, 2009
awww i was kinda expecting the subtitles to be the Activision vs IW vs EA love triangle.
but great video non the less

CUnk

Oct 24, 2008
Brandon has been doing re-enactment videos for several years now and he's gotten a lot of attention for them. His latest trend it to recreate famous scenes by imitating famous actors that weren't in the original scenes. For example:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=S2XnN4MMKFs

Check out the rest of his channel for some entertaining reenactments.

(Here's another of my favs: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=X6etg_fX1Pw)