Warhammer 40k MMOG Prepped For E3 Reveal

John Funk

U.N. Owen Was Him?
Dec 20, 2005
Warhammer 40k MMOG Prepped For E3 Reveal

Do you like the grim, dark, grimdark world of Warhammer 40000? Then I have good news for you: THQ's 40k MMOG will finally get a reveal this June at E3 2010.

An MMOG based on the universe of Warhammer 40k would be a tricky proposition for a few reasons, not the least of which was nicely encapsulated by Penny Arcade [http://www.penny-arcade.com/comic/2007/3/5/] back in 2007: In WH40k, every last person is a complete bastard at best, and a soul-sucking irredeemable monster at worst. Also, everybody hates everybody else.

But it's also a very popular IP, with a very large potential subscriber base. That's why a 40k MMOG has been in the works for the past few years at THQ's Austin-based studio, Vigil Games - the same folks responsible for this year's Darksiders [http://www.escapistmagazine.com/articles/view/editorials/reviews/7010-Review-Darksiders] (so they've already got the OMG SHOULDERPADS look down).

The MMOG has been in development for a few years now, which means it's finally ready to see the light of day: THQ boss Brian Farrell said today that the game would make its debut at this year's E3 with a "full" unveiling, reports Kotaku [http://kotaku.com/5532110/warhammer-40k-game-to-make-long+awaited-debut-at-e3].

I've never really been a fan of the Warhammer 40k setting, personally - it's a bit too ridiculous for me, and I'll take StarCraft over it any day of the week. But it has a very devoted following and a few decades' worth of backstory, so there's plenty of lore there to turn into an MMOG. It also has a devoted following who are used to spending lots of money on it (those little figures don't come cheap, after all) - so if Vigil and THQ pull this off well, it could be a huge financial success for them, even if it doesn't see WoW-level numbers.

"We don't need the kind of subscriber levels that people throw around, like a million subscribers, to make a lot of money on this title. If we get anywhere near this level, we'll be making a lot of money," said Farrell in an earnings call, according to Joystiq [http://www.joystiq.com/2010/05/05/thq-warhammer-40k-mmo-will-profit-with-near-1-million-subs/].

I know we have a lot of 40k fans in our audience (who are probably itching to tear me limb from limb for daring to admit I prefer SC, come to think of it), so I'll ask the question: If done well, would you play a 40k MMOG?

ravensshade

resident shadow
Mar 18, 2009
i'd be interested how they do alliances and all that but yeah i think i would!
also meh i never felt for starcraft

p.s wow.. i'm first in a thread for once..

Slycne

Tank Ninja
Feb 19, 2006
If it looks good I'm certainly willing to give it a shot. I just hope there's an Assault Marine class.

CounterAttack

A Writer With Many Faces
Dec 25, 2008
I'd play it if:
a) it's done well for all races,
b) it isn't subscription-based,
and c) there's enough incentive for people to play as more than just power-armoured brutes.

I myself would probably play an Eldar; I play them on the tabletop.

Exocet

Pandamonium is at hand
Dec 3, 2008
I'll wait impatiently to see how it turns out.If it looks even remotely decent,I'll try to get in a beta/trial.
I'm not a fan of the pay every month,but I'm willing to overlook this little obstacle if the game lets me play as a necron lord or a tau commander.

Ranooth

BEHIND YOU!!
Mar 26, 2008
John Funk said:
(who are probably itching to tear me limb from limb for daring to admit I prefer SC, come to think of it)
GET HIM!!

OT: This is the biggest thing for me at E3 this year, cannot wait to see how it actually works.

2fish

Sep 10, 2008
I shall keep an eye on this, I still have my fear of online multiplayer games like WoW, but this may help me overcome that fear. Now where are my Dark Eldar? No True Kin= No Me

-2fish

Yokai

Oct 31, 2008
CounterAttack said:
I'd play it if:
a) it's done well for all races,
b) it isn't subscription-based,
and c) there's enough incentive for people to play as more than just power-armoured brutes.

I myself would probably play an Eldar; I play them on the tabletop.
Agreed on all points.
I'd like to add that I'd want proper combat. In a universe as bloody and visceral as 40k, I'd damn well better be able to do more than just click on a guy and watch my character poke him until he's dead.

Worgen

Follower of the Glorious Sun Butt.
Legacy
Apr 1, 2009
Im definitely curious to see how they do it, I mean Im hoping its good, Ive always kinda liked the 40k universe altho I dont play the mini game I have played the hell out of the dawn of war series and a few other pc games based on 40k

oh and starcraft can fornicate itself with an iron rod

Bretty

Jul 15, 2008
YES YES YES YES YES YES YES YES YES YES YES YES YES YES YES YES YES

40k is by far the greatest SciFi IP out there.
CounterAttack said:
I'd play it if:
b) it isn't subscription-based
It will be..... name a AAA MMO which isn't?

Apr 28, 2008
Ranooth said:
John Funk said:
(who are probably itching to tear me limb from limb for daring to admit I prefer SC, come to think of it)
GET HIM!!
BURN THE NON BELIEVER!

*Ahem*

I would probably give it a shot if done well. But MMO's have never really been my thing in the first place.

And as mentioned above, there better be some damn insane combat.

There is a 50% chance I'll pick this up if done right

Darks63

Mar 8, 2010
Depends how the game mechanics work if its done like dow 2 ill pass.

also depends on how they do factions as well if its u can play chaos but only the word bearers or u can play marines but only ultras( or god forbid blood ravens) again ill pass.

McNinja

Sep 21, 2008
I think the only way I'd play is if it was non-subscription. Other than that, heck yeah I'd play it. I do love me some WH40k

dalek sec

Leader of the Cult of Skaro
Jul 20, 2008
Irridium said:
Ranooth said:
John Funk said:
GET HIM!!
BURN THE NON BELIEVER!

*Ahem*

I would probably give it a shot if done well. But MMO's have never really been my thing in the first place.

And as mentioned above, there better be some damn insane combat.
BURN THE HERETIC!

*Clears his throat*

I'm with Irridum on this, MMO's aren't my thing per say but I might be willing to give this a shot if it's any good, I'm for Chaos, Necrons and of course, the Imperial Guard if they have those factions.

fix-the-spade

Feb 25, 2008
I know we have a lot of 40k fans in our audience (who are probably itching to tear me limb from limb for daring to admit I prefer SC, come to think of it), so I'll ask the question: If done well, would you play a 40k MMOG?
Do you hear that sound? That is the cacophony of a billion chainswords swarming toward your fetid pit of heresy to tear your soul from your limbs for the unending glory of the Emperor!!!

Erm... where was I?

I doubt I'd play it. I still have trouble with paying X pounds a month simply for the privilege of playing a game I already spent forty quid on just to get in my hands.

If it is in some way truly special, like a cross between all the best bits of World of Warcraft and Battlefield, but on a Warhammer scale, then it would be worth it. But another mmo with Warhammer stickers, unlikely.

Then again, the draw of the universe where rule of cool = scientific fact is very, very strong.

PS, my inner heretic says roll on July 27th!

Cowabungaa

Feb 10, 2008
It's not an MMOFPS, so I'm disappointed by default. But I'm still very curious about it. It could've been so grand though.... PlanetSide set in the W40K universe...*sigh*
Bretty said:
It will be..... name a AAA MMO which isn't?
Guild Wars. And it sells.

aegios187

Jun 17, 2007
Not the god damn Ultramarines please! Ugh. Dark Angels or Blood Angels need their time to shine.

Also, don't make the conflict around only two faction. Two faction limitation is completely counter to the 40K IP and is a seriously bad idea. I don't see how you could adeqately reflect the 40K universe without having numerous armies represented on their own. Don't go down the path that EA Mythic did with the Warhammer Fantasy IP by lumping multiple armies into two big super-alliances.

Soviet Heavy

Jan 22, 2010
John, you just signed your death wish

SUFFER NOT THE UNCLEAN TO LIVE!

I really hope they do something new with this. I don't want to go running around like a superhero. I want your character to be a squad, with all the different upgrades and doctrines acting as a level up system.

Full scale wars, with each person's squad commiting themselves to the battlefield in a real time combat situation. No turn base, but troop movements and special abilities being thrown around on the fly.

Sebenko

Dec 23, 2008
fix-the-spade said:
Do you hear that sound? That is the cacophony of a billion chainswords swarming toward your fetid pit of heresy to tear your soul from your limbs for the unending glory of the Emperor!!!

Erm... where was I?

I doubt I'd play it. I still have trouble with paying X pounds a month simply for the privilege of playing a game I already sent forty quid just to get in my hands.

If it is in some way truly special, like a cross between all the best bits of World of Warcraft and Battlefield, but on a Warhammer scale, then it would be worth it. But another mmo with Warhammer stickers, unlikely.

Then again, the draw of the universe where rule of cool = scientific fact is very, very strong.

PS, my inner heretic says roll on July 27th!
OFFICIAL! The number of souls who have given their lives for the Emperor now outnumber the stars themselves!

I'm not an MMO person, and all my MMO attention is focused on Infinity:QFE. Still, if it's good...