Remedy "Bet the Farm" on Alan Wake

Andy Chalk

One Flag, One Fleet, One Cat
Nov 12, 2002
Remedy "Bet the Farm" on Alan Wake

Remedy Entertainment has put everything it's got into the creation of Alan Wake [http://www.amazon.com/Alan-Wake-Xbox-360/dp/B0010AYJXI/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&s=videogames&qid=1278514721&sr=1-1] and if it tanks, Oskari Hakkinen says they're all going to end up "selling hotdogs in Helsinki."

"Go big or go home" is something my friends like to say, usually right before disaster strikes. It's also the approach Remedy [http://www.remedygames.com/] took when making Alan Wake, the "psychological thriller" that comes out later this month. The studio spent more than a half-decade going whole hog on the game and if it doesn't perform well on the shelves, it'll be bad news for everyone.

"We are betting the farm on [Alan Wake] and if this isn't a success we'll be selling hotdogs in Helsinki," Hakkinen, Remedy's head of franchise development, told CVG [http://www.computerandvideogames.com/article.php?id=245729?cid=OTC-RSS&attr=CVG-General-RSS]. "Really."

"We were in a good situation after Max Payne 2 [http://www.amazon.com/Max-Payne-2-Fall-Xbox/dp/B0000A92KZ/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&s=videogames&qid=1278514743&sr=1-1] and we invested everything after selling the intellectual property and putting it back into the love of making videogames," he continued. "Everything's gone into this project so this will ultimately set us up for how we continue and how many videogames we can make in the future."

Hakkinen is no doubt hoping than Alan Wake doesn't end up like Max Payne 2, which was critically well-received but sold so poorly that Take-Two review [http://www.gamespot.com/pc/action/maxpayne2/news.html?page=1&sid=6087292] and awarded it a 5/5 score. At the end of the day, that's all any game studio can really ask for.

Alan Wake comes out on May 14 in Europe and May 18 in North America, exclusively for the Xbox 360.

Mr. Grey

I changed my face, ya like it?
Aug 31, 2009
Screw this coming to Europe first business! We Americans and/or Canadians shouldn't get the short-end of the stick! [/sarcasm]

And I don't know if I want it... but I think I'll pick it up in the end. May not be on the day of release, but I'll definitely pick it up sooner than later.

Therumancer

Citation Needed
Nov 28, 2007
I have this one pre-ordered.

The biggest concerns I have over the game right now is things like the length/amount of content, and how the game play engine itself is going to work "hands on" both of which could sink it.

In general when I see a story driven game, with the graphics and quality shown so far, most of them have turned out to be VERY short, well below the claimed "playtime".

We'll see what happens when it gets here. Been watching the live-action "Bright Falls" thing while awaiting the release. If this game lives up to it's hype, it will be an amazing Survival Horror facelift.

Apr 28, 2008
You'd be able to sell more copies if it was on the PC as well.

wink wink nudge nudge ;)

Onyx Oblivion

Borderlands Addict. Again.
Sep 9, 2008
I shall support them!

It was that or Red Dead. I chose the game that's NOT guaranteed huge sales.

fenrizz

Feb 7, 2009
Mr. Grey said:
Screw this coming to Europe first business! We Americans and/or Canadians shouldn't get the short-end of the stick!
Are you serious right now?
Because I can't help but think that you are in fact joking.

You Americans/Canadians always get games before us Europeans, so one game is nothing to get upset about.

OT:
I only own a PS3, so sadly I shan't be playing Alan Wake.

Though I find it odd to launch a make or break game on only one platform.

Brotherofwill

Jan 25, 2009
Andy Chalk said:
On the upside, Alan Wake has been a huge hit with critics; our own Susan Arendt described it with words like "brilliant," "excellent" and "gorgeous" in her review [http://www.escapistmagazine.com/articles/view/editorials/reviews/7524-Review-Alan-Wake] and awarded it a 5/5 score. At the end of the day, that's all any game studio can really ask for.
Not really, the reception has been good, but by modern standards in no way a 'huge hit'.

I'm afraid they'll have to go sell hotdogs. Games like Alan Wake usually don't sell too well. Maybe around 1-2 million if they manage advertising right. Even then, 2 million sales for 5 years of high quality development cost isn't very good.

I'd love to play it, but I doubt it can generate a big revenue.

fenrizz said:
Mr. Grey said:
Screw this coming to Europe first business! We Americans and/or Canadians shouldn't get the short-end of the stick!

You Americans/Canadians always get games before us Europeans, so one game is nothing to get upset about.

OT:
I only own a PS3, so sadly I shan't be playing Alan Wake.

Though I find it odd to launch a make or break game on only one platform.
He can't be serious.

Same situation with me, only have a PS3. The game is published by Microsoft, so it won't be released on the PS3. Shame, because the older demographic on the PS3 would probably help push sales.

Mr. Grey

I changed my face, ya like it?
Aug 31, 2009
fenrizz said:
Mr. Grey said:
And you should... as you should for I am. I am joking, I should make that a bit more clear... I'll get on that.

JuryNelson

Mar 3, 2010
I'm purposely holding off on re-posting my xbox on craigslist until this comes out.

I'm GOING to sell it, but? this is just too intriguing.

Brotherofwill

Jan 25, 2009
Onyx Oblivion said:
I shall support them!

Say what? You chose games because of sales or a lack of them? That's rather confusing.

Unless it's something like buying the Humble Indie Bundle (go buy it) because you want to support low-life, basement dwelling developers I can't follow that reasoning. Red Dead seems to be shaping up to be an amazing game, you'll probably end up buying that too.

Onyx Oblivion

Sep 9, 2008
Brotherofwill said:
Onyx Oblivion said:
I shall support them!

Say what? You chose games because of sales or a lack of them? That's rather confusing.

Unless it's something like buying the Humble Indie Bundle (go buy it) because you want to support low-life, basement dwelling developers I can't follow that reasoning. Red Dead seems to be shaping up to be an amazing game, you'll probably end up buying that too.
Well, let's look at it this way. I bought the Humble Indie Bundle. I bought Brutal Legend DAY ONE. I bought Mirror's Edge DAY ONE. I bought Tatsunoko Vs Capcom. Week one... I bought Monster Hunter Tri. Day two. I regret that one, though.

Brotherofwill

Jan 25, 2009
Onyx Oblivion said:
Brotherofwill said:
Onyx Oblivion said:
I shall support them!

Well, let's look at it this way. I bought the Humble Indie Bundle. I bought Brutal Legend DAY ONE. I bought Mirror's Edge DAY ONE. I bought Tatsunoko Vs Capcom. Week one... I bought Monster Hunter Tri. Day two. I regret that one, though.
Wow, out of a list of games with both Mirror's Edge and Monster Hunter 3, it's surprising the latter is a regret. I've onlt heard positive things about that game. Care to explain why you didn't like it? I'm just a little curious.

I guess you buy a lot of games. I don't think Alan Wake will be a bad buy, far from it. I pretty much resolved to renting every promising game that I'm not sure of. Ever since I impulse-bought InFamous because of the awesome trailer I like to just rent and be sure (I'll probably end up buying Red Dead, however).

Rararaz

Feb 20, 2010
Brotherofwill said:
Onyx Oblivion said:
I shall support them!

Onyx Oblivion's choice makes sense. Two games, both are likely to be very good (although Red Dead will get the usually extra review points from a lot of sources as it is Rockstar) and he has made the choice to support the one that, despite probably being as good or equal to, won't get as many sales therefore potentially boosting the numbers for a company who are doing something a little bit different.

Onyx Oblivion

Sep 9, 2008
Brotherofwill said:
Onyx Oblivion said:
Brotherofwill said:
Onyx Oblivion said:
I shall support them!

Wow, out of a list of games with both Mirror's Edge and Monster Hunter 3, it's surprising the latter is a regret. I've onlt heard positive things about that game. Care to explain why you didn't like it? I'm just a little curious.
It's the most annoying grind EVER. Dear god, they made it annoying on PURPOSE. You attack the way you face, not really the way you push the stick. All weapons except the sword and shield are slow as fuck. It's immersive as hell though.

Brotherofwill

Jan 25, 2009
Rararaz said:
Onyx Oblivion's choice makes sense. Two games, both are likely to be very good (although Red Dead will get the usually extra review points from a lot of sources as it is Rockstar) and he has made the choice to support the one that, despite probably being as good or equal to, won't get as many sales therefore potentially boosting the numbers for a company who are doing something a little bit different.
Doesn't make a lick of sense to me. I'd wait until both are released, rent them both, see which one is better or has more potential and then buy that one. Buying a game by assuming it's going to be as good as another game that you haven't tried doesn't seem to be solid reasoning for me.

I mean, it's a good intention to help fresh ideas but what if the other game ends up being much better?

fenrizz

Feb 7, 2009
Mr. Grey said:
fenrizz said:
Mr. Grey said:
And you should... as you should for I am. I am joking, I should make that a bit more clear... I'll get on that.

Most excellent, good Sir.
I wish you a good day.

Rararaz

Feb 20, 2010
Brotherofwill said:
Rararaz said:
Doesn't make a lick of sense to me. I'd wait until both are released, rent them both, see which one is better or has more potential and then buy that one. Buying a game by assuming it's going to be as good as another game that you haven't tried doesn't seem to be solid reasoning for me.

I mean, it's a good intention to help fresh ideas but what if the other game ends up being much better?
That's a good way of doing things. I don't have anywhere to rent games unfortunatly and I find game reviews to (generally) be a bad indication of how much enjoyment I will get out of a game. Really I was just saying that I see his point and if the games were equal in my mind form what I had seen/heard/all other factors then supporting the company that showed the higher level of ingenuity would be the choice that I would make.

Onyx Oblivion

Sep 9, 2008
Brotherofwill said:
Rararaz said:

I don't rent anymore. All games are gambles, now.