Iwata Reveals Nintendo's Wii Party

John Funk

U.N. Owen Was Him?
Dec 20, 2005
Iwata Reveals Nintendo's Wii Party

Nintendo CEO Satoru Iwata has revealed Wii Party, Nintendo's next license to print money. (Hint: It's Mario Party, with Miis.)

Nintendo has done quite well for itself [http://tvtropes.org/pmwiki/pmwiki.php/Main/Understatement] this console generation, and its first party games like Wii Sports and Wii Sports Resort have sold like hotcakes laced with crack (but we don't talk about Wii Music).

In a financial briefing for Nintendo investors, CEO and big boss Satoru Iwata unveiled Nintendo's next all-but-guaranteed money-maker: Wii Party. Developed as the next "marquee game" for Wii, Wii Party is exactly what it sounds like - a version of Nintedo's popular Mario Party titles, only with Miis.

"In a sense, it is a natural move for your Miis and your friends' and family members' Miis to show up in a Wii party [game]," said Iwata, noting that the last major Party title was 2007's Mario Party 8 [http://www.amazon.com/Mario-Party-8-nintendo-wii/dp/B000LSJKAM/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&s=videogames&qid=1278514376&sr=1-1].

Judging from the very, very few screenshots available, it looks like exactly how you'd expect a "Mario Party With Miis" to look - interestingly enough, though, it seems the game board will be the Earth ... or at least one of them will be, anyway.

Wii Party [http://www.amazon.com/Wii-Party-Nintendo/dp/B003O6DZSQ/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&s=videogames&qid=1278514336&sr=1-1] will be out in Fiscal 2010, and will sell roughly a hojillion copies.

(Nintendo.JP [http://www.nintendo.co.jp/ir/en/library/events/100507/05.html])

Onyx Oblivion

Borderlands Addict. Again.
Sep 9, 2008
Nintendo. I HATE you guys.

I like Metroid and Zelda. Never cared for Mario games, even though they're good, they're just not my thing. But the bad is outweighing the good from you.

Aura Guardian

Apr 23, 2008
All these mini-game collection games makes me wonder if the Nintendo 64 and the Nintendo Gamecube were as successful as the Wii. Would we be seeing these types of games if the Nintendo consoles had more support?

Armored Prayer

Mar 10, 2009
Why couldn't they just create another Mario Party game? I'd rather play as the Mario characters than the Miis.

Quiet Stranger

Feb 4, 2006
Nintendo just might as well stop making anything else and start making all mini-game games instead, cause it's their best way to make money

Quiet Stranger

Feb 4, 2006
Armored Prayer said:
Why couldn't they just create another Mario Party game? I'd rather play as the Mario characters than the Miis.
Same, when it comes to virtual avatars, Xbox 360 and PS3 are WAY better, the only thing customizable (when you think about it) are their faces

wooty

Vi Britannia
Aug 1, 2009
So just another excuse to waste time and/or kill a real life party. Joy of joys

Mrsoupcup

Jan 13, 2009
I said it once and I will say it again, they really know how to sqeaze every last drop of cash from Wii owners.

oppp7

Aug 29, 2009
As much as I hate to admit it, the only people who I play split screen with are my father and sister, and neither of them are that great at hardcore games(although my dad plays a lot of Saint's Row 2 and my sister likes Left 4 Dead). So, these kinds of irritating minigames are the kind of things that I could actually use for multiplayer on the Wii.

Singleplayer-wise? I'll pass.

Simalacrum

Resident Juggler
Apr 17, 2008
...Why didn't I predict this?

Seriously, this was the most obvious move for Nintendo to make, why didn't I see it coming???

I think I'm losing my touch... *sigh*

rembrandtqeinstein

Sep 4, 2009
I would play mario party wii if I had time :( . This rules, I'll get it and play with my wife. Soon my kids will be old enough to play games...then I will crush them in Mario Kart! Muhahahahaha!

The Political Gamer

Oct 12, 2008
rembrandtqeinstein said:
I would play mario party wii if I had time :( . This rules, I'll get it and play with my wife. Soon my kids will be old enough to play games...then I will crush them in Mario Kart! Muhahahahaha!
You mean Wii Kart. ;)

Unhappy Crow

Mar 14, 2010
So does that mean this won't be Mario Party 9? Huh. I'm interested in seeing more screenshots of the game.

Nerf Ninja

Dec 20, 2008
Yay! another pointless pile of crap ready to be played by morons that don't know any better.

OldGrover

Nov 10, 2009
Nerf Ninja said:
Yay! another pointless pile of crap ready to be played by morons that don't know any better.
Yes, how dare the unwashed masses have fun playing different video games than you like!

Nerf Ninja

Dec 20, 2008
OldGrover said:
Nerf Ninja said:
Yes, how dare the unwashed masses have fun playing different video games than you like!
Exactly! it's disgusting and shouldn't be allowed! ;)

Don't really care that other people like them I just wish that nintendo would actually try and make a fully realised game, not just more of the same.

Alar

The Stormbringer
Dec 1, 2009
I never really played the Mario Party games, so this game has little attraction for me.