GameStop Admits Fear of Digital Distribution

Tom Goldman

Crying on the inside.
Aug 17, 2009
GameStop Admits Fear of Digital Distribution

Will digital distribution kill retail? GameStop, one of the world's largest evil videogame retailers that is often jokingly referred to as evil, seems to think so.

GameStop has under-valued the effects of digital distribution on its business in the past, but now publicly acknowledges that it's concerned. In an expanded fiscal report, GameStop has detailed that digital distribution could be very, very bad for the retailer. "Technological advances in the delivery and types of videogames and PC entertainment software, as well as changes in consumer behavior related to these new technologies, could lower our sales," the report says.

It continues: "While it is currently only possible to download a limited amount of video game content to the next generation videogame systems, at some point in the future this technology may become more prevalent. If advances in technology continue to expand our customers' ability to access the current format of videogames, PC entertainment software and incremental content for their games, as well as new types of browser and casual games through these and other sources, our customers may no longer choose to purchase videogames or PC entertainment software in our stores. As a result, sales and earnings could decline."

And it gets even more negative, as the report also states that despite GameStop's current strategies to compete and assimilate with digital distribution, it "can provide no assurances that they will be successful or profitable." Especially due to the mention of browser and casual games here, one such strategy has been to acquire Jolt Online Gaming, with GameStop pushing Jolt's Legends of Zork browser game [http://legendsofzork.com/] recently. For all we know, GameStop could eventually become a game developer instead of a retailer.

It plans to keep pace with digital content delivery through methods such as PC downloads and digital kiosks, but as we see with Xbox Live Arcade and the PlayStation Network, the big boys have the power make games flow directly from console to customer, cutting out poor li'l GameStop. Key to GameStop's wording is the admission that new technologies could change consumer behavior in general, even if Microsoft, Sony, and Nintendo don't switch to a purely digital format.

Honestly, it would be a little sad if GameStop and other retailers hit the bricks, because the used videogame market holds such a great value for consumers. Can't find a random PlayStation 2 game new? GameStop probably has it at three nearby stores for $4.99. I'll be the first one to say that I don't want used games to negatively impact developers and publishers, but the physical retail store will likely always hold a value for consumers somehow. Then again, maybe not, as in a digital world every game would ideally always be available no matter how old.

Source: Gamasutra [http://www.gamasutra.com/view/news/28427/GameStop_Acknowledges_Move_To_Online_Gaming_Poses_Business_Threat.php]

Jack and Calumon

Digimon are cool.
Dec 29, 2008

Well, I'm not sold on Digital Distribution yet. Having a Broadband limit of 75GB a month can be a bit much already, considering all the Youtubing, Online Gaming, WoW-ing, RPing, preparing to start a Blog-ing, webcomic reading and Google-ing is enough stress on my Broadband as it is.

Calumon: I understand nothing...

Quiet Stranger

Feb 4, 2006
The_root_of_all_evil said:
So, to defeat evil we just have to use Steam?

Tough choice that one.
What's your avatar from? I know I've seen it somewheres

And as the other person said I like hard copies, because you have the cases and the manuals with digital copies you get none of that, so yeah, no special editions

Outamyhead

Feb 25, 2009
They are evil, but honestly they already digitally sell games, I fail to see what they are afraid of when they are taking part in the evolution (for PC anyway). Besides I prefer a physical copy of the game I bought.

Alar

The Stormbringer
Dec 1, 2009
I also prefer to have a hard copy of my games, though occasioanlly I will download things online (I downloadead BioShock, Orange Box, and Dragon Age: Origins all online, and I've enjoyed all of them).

I'm the kind of pack rat that likes to have a box filled with useless goodies and slips of pretty paper to hold on to and use to reminisce.

With that said, BRING ON THE COLLECTOR'S EDITIONS! WOOOO!!

Jared

The British Paladin
Jul 14, 2009
If digital distribution does become a reality and the main way for things to be brought ot people then I am sure that it is going to be the case where the reatiler is ghoing to lose out at the end of the day

So, I can certainly see where they are coming from

Kiefer13

Wizzard
Jul 31, 2008
Brick and Mortar shops should be afraid of digital distribution. It's the way forward.

Hopefully it'll scare them into stopping ripping off their customers so much.

shemoanscazrex3

Mar 24, 2010
When it comes to games and any media period. When I buy I want the physical thing. Plus I just saw a Ratchet and Clank demo that was 2+ gigs. I know the game will be a hell of a lot more and my connection just isn't nowhere near fast enough. Even 360 DVDs are like what 9GBs. Gamestop I mean Amazon and sometimes eBay for me. Well unless I want the game now or it's new and Amazon isn't offering a gift card deal on it

Calhoun347

Aug 25, 2009
All of my local game stops have stopped selling PC games. Seems they are shooting themselves in the foot.

Mr. Grey

I changed my face, ya like it?
Aug 31, 2009
I've said it once before, I'll say it again... I'll only take part in this digital distribution movement if they mail me a scratch 'n sniff that smells like a brand new box being opened. And even then I demand it be authentic!

I do fear though... the change. I grew up on boxes, then cases... the joy of holding them and that scent of opening it. Those days are going to be gone... aren't they?

GonzoGamer

Apr 9, 2008
Tom Goldman said:
Honestly, it would be a little sad if GameStop and other retailers hit the bricks, because the used videogame market holds such a great value for consumers.
Unfortunately Gamestop gouged most of the value out of the used game market. But even now, I often see new copies of games in regular stores that are cheaper than the used copies in gamestop.
What kind of value is that?

Generic_Dave

Prelate Invigilator
Jul 15, 2009
I'm not a fan of Gamestop. But I have to give them big ups for such honest admissions, most companies pander to stockholders, avoiding real self-introspection and the truth.

steamweedlegoblin

Apr 28, 2010
Calhoun347 said:
All of my local game stops have stopped selling PC games. Seems they are shooting themselves in the foot.
A few in my area have also stopped selling PC games. The ones that still do sell PC games have them sitting off on a tiny little shelf in the back of the store. The funny thing is that this business practice actually encourages people to get their PC games digitally. If retailers completely neglect the platform, how else are we going to get the games?

They should be worried. Advances in technology inevitably make old tech obsolete. Like it or not, love it or hate it, digital distribution is the future of video games. There will eventually come a day when there is no longer a profit in producing physical copies.

Stormz

Jul 4, 2009
I still really hope Digital Distribution isn't the future (Which it probably is sadly). I like my hard copies and if I can't get games unless I pay 70$ to download a game that's singleplayer and requires an internet connection at all times to play I will just give all hope. Not like I have much now anyway.

tkioz

Fussy Fiddler
May 7, 2009
Screw gamesstop and other price gouging scum suckers, their shops smell, their workers are rude, and their policies are obnoxious. As for used games... well I much prefer being able to snag things like the Complete Civ4 pack for $10 off stream then saving $5 off a game that may or may not actually work.

Worgen

Follower of the Glorious Sun Butt.
Legacy
Apr 1, 2009
I have my doubts about digital distribution really killing off the retail sales since stores might refuse to stock consoles that primarily do digital, kinda like what we saw with the psp go, some places refused to stock the things since they wouldnt be able to sell games for it