Derek Smart Caught Up in Alganon Plagiarism Furor

Andy Chalk

One Flag, One Fleet, One Cat
Nov 12, 2002
Derek Smart Caught Up in Alganon Plagiarism Furor

A press release for the Derek Smart-led MMOG Star Wars: The Old Republic [http://www.alganon.com].

First, some background for those unfamiliar with the game: Developed and published by a company called Universal Combat [http://www.qol.com/] games, was brought in to assist soon after it launched, but by mid-March he had taken over the company as president and fired founder Dave Allen, a move which prompted no small amount of controversy in itself.

Now Smart and the game are taking heat for a blunder of a different sort. In a press release announcing the "official" release of Alganon at the end of April (the original December release was re-labeled a "'soft launch' in order to soften the blow of that disaster," as he put it in a testy Gamasutra [http://www.gamasutra.com/view/news/27688/Quest_Online_Fires_President_Hires_Derek_Smart.php#comments] exchange) Smart was quoted as saying, "Traditionally, massively multiplier online games have been about three basic gameplay pillars - combat, exploration and character progression. In Alganon, in addition to these we've added the fourth pillar to the equation; a story. We delivered a fun, immersive adventure that gamers expect in a top quality massively multiplayer online game. To top it all off, we're not done yet. A whole new adventure with new updates will follow soon, starting with a consignment house, new classes, PvP and much more."

It's a fairly standard press-release-style statement, with one slight problem: BioWare [http://www.bioware.com] said almost the exact same thing in an October 2008 press release for Star Wars: The Old Republic.

"Traditionally, massively multiplayer online games have been about three basic gameplay pillars - combat, exploration and character progression," said Dr. Ray Muzyka, Co-Founder and General Manager/CEO of BioWare and General Manager/Vice President of Electronic Arts Inc., "In Star Wars: The Old Republic, we're fusing BioWare's heritage of critically-acclaimed storytelling with the amazing pedigree of Lucasfilm and LucasArts, and adding a brand-new fourth pillar to the equation - story. At the same time, we will still deliver all the fun features and activities that fans have come to expect in a AAA massively multiplayer online game. To top it all off, Star Wars: The Old Republic is set in a very exciting, dynamic period in the Star Wars universe."

Naturally, accusations of plagiarism began to fly, fueled at least in part by glee over the fact that Smart, never the most endearing industry figure, had been caught in an embarrassing situation. Suggestions that a public relations firm may have been responsible for the mess were blunted somewhat by the fact that the quote was attributed directly to Smart (and, presumably, approved by him at some point in the process) but nevertheless, an anonymous PR writer soon stepped forward to fall on his sword [http://www.killtenrats.com/2010/05/07/alganon-blatant-plagiarism/#comment-39517].

"I committed a terrible blunder, considering the fiasco under which Derek took over the company and all the work he put into the game and the work I've done to stir the coverage to the game away from other controversies. And here I created a new one," he wrote. "I'm probably going to get fired for this blunder. And if that's the course of action Derek takes, I'm okay with that. I stand up for my mistakes. And this one is mine."

Smart himself seemed to dismiss the whole thing in a statement [http://www.alganon.com/forums/index.php?/topic/4837-quest-online-announces-the-official-release-of-alganon/page__p__42542&#entry42542] released this morning, saying "it shouldn't even be news" because "practically every game related press release reads like the next one."

"In truth, the reference should either have been reworded or credited and sourced. As I understand it now, that was the original intent; but they failed to make the change in their draft and which was to become the final version that went out on PRWeb," he said. "And since Quest Online - like most companies that hire outside PR firms - don't have to fact check press releases, we clearly had no idea what had happened until my inbox started lighting up on Sunday morning. This was clearly an unintentional oversight and shouldn't even be news; but here we are. Just another glorious day in the gaming industry."

He also claimed that BioWare itself lifted the line from an address given by John Smedley at the 2004 in response to the Alganon uproar [http://events.station.sony.com/fanfaire/].

There's no question that a certain sameness pervades most press releases that hit the wires but this one gets tricky because the quote is directly attributed to Smart. It's clearly a mistake by the PR firm and Smart is taking more heat than he likely would otherwise because he's such a polarizing figure in the industry, which of course is really just a nice way of saying that a lot of people don't like him. His assertion that he's an innocent bystander in all this is probably fair, but "not even news?" That's taking it a little too far.

Source: Kill Ten Rats [http://www.killtenrats.com/2010/05/07/alganon-blatant-plagiarism/]

Jared

The British Paladin
Jul 14, 2009
Ohhh...Looks like he has certainly been cauight out...Well, if they are going to be obvious about it then they deserve the trouble its brewing but still...

teh_gunslinger

S.T.A.L.K.E.R. did it better.
Dec 6, 2007
He (Smart) does have a point when he says it's not really news. I wonder if it would have been a big deal if anyone else had done it?

Press releases do seem to be kinda samey and this is kind of a none issue for me.

But when you enter Smart into any equation you get insta-flames springing up all over the place, which seems silly to me. I recall him making some rather harsh and borderline inflammatory comments towards users here a while back and I must admit that he did not impress me with his behaviour.

It's a shame, as I've always thought he has some interesting ideas and a BC3000AD was full of potential in my eyes. Then he opens his mouth and I like him a whole lot less.

Though, in fairness, I must add that he has made some very insightful comments at Gamasutra at various points.

Nov 28, 2007
Yes, there are some similarities between all press releases. That is true. But seriously, you are claiming you both individually came up with the same three "pillars" of MMOG's, and also the implementation of the same fourth "pillar"? Hmm...

Irridium said:
"Looks like he's *puts on sunglasses* not too Smart."

You win many cookies.

The DSM

Apr 18, 2009
Is it just me or does the player interface shown on the screenshot look very similar to WOWs?

It made me laugh though, Its like copying an exam on Romeo and Juliet from someone doing one on Hamlet and changing the character names and locations....

-Samurai-

Oct 8, 2009
The DSM said:
Is it just me or does the player interface shown on the screenshot look very similar to WOWs?
All MMO GUIs look exactly the same. Theres really no other way to make them.

Anyway, I don't see the big deal. Its not like he stole a game, just some words used to describe it.

KDR_11k

Feb 10, 2009
Title... Summary... Tags... CRAP! You said his name three times, now he will appear!

Deofuta

Nov 10, 2009
Can anyone fill me in on to who Derek Smart is? Tried googling but all of its about this current mess. Just want to know why he is not liked.

Thanks!

GrandmaFunk

Oct 19, 2009
damn that gamasutra thread is epic....Derek comes off as such a giant douchebag, it's quite hilarious to see "professionals" sink to the level of common forum trolls

chenry

Oct 31, 2007
Oh Derek Smart, how I've missed you. It's been a while since I've heard from Smart, and it's always lulz.

DigitalSushi

a gallardo? fine, I'll take it.
Dec 24, 2008
Are they dragging this out for column inches?

"unknown MMO maker makes a boo boo, partially apologises, tells the world THIS IS NOT NEWS also check out our NOT GAME"

Irridium said:
"Looks like Darek *puts on sunglasses* isn't too Smart."

I would like to give you the gift of Double Jump, your in the real world but fuck it, you can now double jump.

Physics can go fuck itself.

Therumancer

Citation Needed
Nov 28, 2007
This sounds ridiculous to me, basically if someone says the same thing as someone else when promoting a game on the same virtues that's somehow consider plagerism?

I'm sorry, but when it comes to this, the statements seemed generic enough where I can't see an issue... maybe that's just me though.

Not defending Mr. Smart in general, but in this case I really don't think this is even newsworthy.

Russ Pitts

The Boss of You
May 1, 2006
If we're really lucky, he'll show up here. The dude is a notorious self-Googler. If it happens, fire up the popcorn and watch the show. A Derek Smart forum appearance is always a good time.

Nov 28, 2007
Hopeless Bastard said:
Derek Smart is a complete hack, but he is right in this case. If you removed all the identifying phrases, words, and trademarks from a batch of gaming press releases, you would never be able to determine what games they were for.

Hell, the same can be said for 90% of gamespot reviews as well.
thebobmaster said:
Yes, there are some similarities between all press releases. That is true. But seriously, you are claiming you both individually came up with the same three "pillars" of MMOG's, and also the implementation of the same fourth "pillar"?
What the hell else are you going to add to the mmog formula?
My point was more of him using the term "pillars" to describe the elements of the game. And the fact that, at the very least, the first two sentences, save for the blurb about Bioware's pedigree, are identical. Not similar, the exact same words in the exact same order.