Halo 2: The Last Spartan Falls

Andy Chalk

One Flag, One Fleet, One Cat
Nov 12, 2002
Halo 2: The Last Spartan Falls

After an epic, month-long battle that could not be won, the last Spartan has left Halo 2 [http://www.bungie.net/Projects/Halo2/default.aspx].

Microsoft announced in early February that it was Halo 2 [http://www.escapistmagazine.com/news/view/98069-Microsoft-Dropping-Online-Support-for-Original-Xbox-Games] fans who still played online and who decided to use the shutdown as an opportunity to show the world what "die hard" really means.

The plug was pulled on April 15 but a handful of players defied the inevitable by refusing to disconnect. They just kept on playing. A week after the service went dark, there were at least five [http://www.escapistmagazine.com/news/view/100219-Halo-2-Players-Refuse-to-Leave-Xbox-Live] and even Microsoft, the purported villain of the piece, was rooting for them.

Alas, all good things must come to an end. As of yesterday, only two Spartans remained standing: Agent Windex and Apache N4SIR. Then, at 7:21 EDT, Agent Windex delivered the news. "I just got kicked off guys," he wrote on Bungie's Halo 2 forum [http://www.bungie.net/Forums/posts.aspx?postID=43235214&postRepeater1-p=21]. "Good job Apache, you're the last one."

Apache continued to play the game alone ("I drive the Warty off some mad hills and jumps!") until he too was "forcefully removed" from the Halo 2 servers at 1:58 EST on May 11. "I want to thank the whole Bungie team for an awesome ongoing series and what seems to be a great Reach game," he wrote in a "salute [http://www.bungie.net/Forums/posts.aspx?postID=43235214&postRepeater1-p=22]" to the game. He said disagreed with Microsoft's decision to end support for the game but thanked it anyway for "publishing and supporting Bungie and the Halo games we truly love."

Well played, ladies and gentlemen. Well played indeed.

jebussaves88

May 4, 2008
That seemed a bit abrupt from Onyx, but never mind.

Does the PC version not still run? Couldn't those who really really want to play Halo 2 simply migrate to the PC version?

Apr 28, 2008
Well those fans are certainty, um... dedicated to say the least.

Still, Halo 2 was fun, and I was sad to see it go. Granted I'm not so sure why so many people seem impressed that it lasted 5 years when plenty of PC games last twice as long, and are still going.

But really, PC fanboyism aside, Halo 2 was fun, and where I met many of my current xbox live friends. I have fond memories. And will always remember it. Well that and many superjumps and glitches, but thats another story for another time.

JEBWrench

Apr 23, 2009
As much as I agree with Onyx in regards to respecting the developer Publisher's wishes, that was pretty epic on their regard. And the one guy will forever be the last official Halo 2 XBox Live player.

Beltom

Professional Lurker
Sep 8, 2008
jebussaves88 said:
That seemed a bit abrupt from Onyx, but never mind.

Does the PC version not still run? Couldn't those who really really want to play Halo 2 simply migrate to the PC version?
It does, and people still play it, and iirc you can still use game pads with it, seems like a obvious jump to make.

Digikid

Dec 29, 2007
Onyx Oblivion said:
Finally. Fucking pricks.
It takes one to know one....so I guess you would be the king of that.

I salute what they did. Sad to see such an excellent game go.....but it will not die....I can promise you that.

oppp7

Aug 29, 2009
Onyx Oblivion said:
Finally. Fucking pricks.
I know from experience that those kinds of coments always bite you on the ass. I'd edit that ASAP, before everyone on the Escapist flames you.

OT: It was a good run guys, but Halo 3 is still there.

Xjin

Jul 7, 2009
I think they need a pat on the back. I?ll miss Halo 2 online games do to me spending a TON of time playing with lots of friends my last year of high school. To the people who pulled this of for such a long time, I salute you!

Armored Prayer

Mar 10, 2009
And now its finally over, well done to the dedicated players. You guys are true Halo fans.

Now they can join us and play the Reach beta.

ZippyDSMlee

Sep 1, 2007
I still do not understand why not just make it a 2-3$ subscription to support Xbox games I mean good god how hard is it to program a server to switch to more bandwidth for 360 games and less for old games when bandwidth gets tight....
Onyx Oblivion said:
Finally. Fucking pricks. These aren't real fans. Real fans would have respected the wishes of the developer.
You mean real fans can't question or criticize what developers do? Holy fck man we already have a world of zombie consumers who support brands and fads over quality.... we need less walking corpses and more critical thinking half wits....I may be only a quarter wit who think he can can do critical thinking but sheeesshhhhh....
==============
Back to topic

I still do not understand why not just make it a 2-3$ subscription to support Xbox games I mean good god how hard is it to program a server to switch to more bandwidth for 360 games and less for old games when bandwidth gets tight.... they can do this with older 360 titles as well.......if they do not do it already....

Brad Shepard

Sep 9, 2009
Ive said it before and ill say it again, they should have let it die with honor, but insted they put it on life support and made it into a shame.

Mar 16, 2009
I found this hilarious. You don't get gamers doing things like this often, so let them have their fun. It was worth it for the lulz.

Hiphophippo

Nov 5, 2009
Good for them. I can't relate, but /salute nonetheless. It's always cool to make a show for the things you love.

Despite what Onyx seems to think.

Doitpow

Mar 18, 2009
I love this story despite hating halo.

Onyx Oblivion said:
Finally. Fucking pricks.
Bad show man, you never wanted to just keep something alive because you loved it?

ENKC

May 3, 2010
This is nice and all, but they could buy a PC capable of running Halo 2 for a very reasonable price. Are they really so dead set against keyboard/mouse controls that they won't join the PC communities that I would assume are still playing this game?

Jaebird

Aug 19, 2008
Congratulations. This accounts for...nothing. Absolutely nothing. I wouldn't exactly call this the kind of story you tell your grand-kids about.

"Back in my day, we fought to hold our place. And we stood our ground proudly... Then my mom told me I needed to clean my room and get a job."

Simalacrum

Resident Juggler
Apr 17, 2008
I'm no fan of Halo, but I'm certainly a fan of dedication to a cause that one believes in.

If this aint an example of that, then I don't know what is.