Review: Nier

Greg Tito

PR for Dungeons & Dragons
Sep 29, 2005
Review: Nier

Crazy costumes, big swords, yep, this is pretty standard fare.

Read Full Article

Onyx Oblivion

Borderlands Addict. Again.
Sep 9, 2008
I honestly thought this slipped under the site's radar.

Fan of Square Enix: Yes.

Fan of Action RPGs: Yes.

Fan of chicks swearing in underwear: No.

2/3. Guess I'd better get it.

This game is BEGGING for a demo.

Flauros

Mar 2, 2010
Is it me, or does it actually sound pretty awesome?

Each dungeon represents a different gametype, including a farming sim and a text adventure?

Buti guess teh same combos over and over would get kind of boring...

Jared

The British Paladin
Jul 14, 2009
I like the look of it, but, I will likely be one to pick up up down the track some point.

There are some nice little aspects of it, but, not enough for me to want to commit too much...and, the article pretty much confirm that for me too

afaceforradio

Jul 29, 2009
My friend has this game and I think I watched him play for about 3 1/2 minutes before my id demanded I go buy it. Looks so much fun!

Now if I can just be bothered to traipse into town...

aaronmcc

Oct 18, 2008
Onyx Oblivion said:

what about hot chicks swearing in their underwear? :)

EDIT: Incidentally I bought this during the week for £12.49. Yeah, there's no typo there.

xitel

Assume That I Hate You.
Aug 13, 2008
aaronmcc said:
Onyx Oblivion said:

EDIT: Incidentally I bought this during the week for £12.49. Yeah, there's no typo there.
I'd just like to point out that canonically speaking, said hot chick is a hermaphrodite, canonically speaking.

aaronmcc

Oct 18, 2008
xitel said:
aaronmcc said:
Onyx Oblivion said:

I'd just like to point out that canonically speaking, said hot chick is a hermaphrodite, canonically speaking.
lol

EDIT: ok Onyx what about hot hermaphrodite chicks swearing in their underwear?

300lb. Samoan

Mar 25, 2009
This sounds like it would have been a good game for the JRPG set, if only it had come out on a slower year. Coming out this late after FFXIII isn't doing it any favors. Same with Mass Effect 2, Dante's Inferno, Dragon Age Origins, etc. On the other hand:
Flauros said:
Is it me, or does it actually sound pretty awesome?

Each dungeon represents a different gametype, including a farming sim and a text adventure?

Buti guess teh same combos over and over would get kind of boring...
Exactly this. Didn't think about it till I saw this, I love the idea of having a turn of Zork intermixed with turns of Farmville, Sim City, Oblivion, Halo, Zelda, etc. Doesn't sound like the main focus of this game. But a game of nothing but that - like a Warioware without the time-constraint, that would be sweet.

sougo13

Sep 11, 2009
'Mommy, why's the TV calling me a little *****?'

Best line I've heard this week.

The game's faults feel like the developers are repeatingly kicking me in the balls but I can not... stop playing.

Overall, it's an ok game i guess.

Onyx Oblivion

Borderlands Addict. Again.
Sep 9, 2008
s69-5 said:
Onyx Oblivion said:

This game is BEGGING for a demo.
Beat it last week (4 times mind you with all but 1 quest completed -- the damned "pink moonflower seeds" just couldn't be effectively done on a rental. My advice is: rent it. It's pretty short and easy. I got 90% of the available trophies in 1 week.

But it is worth a go.

The battle with the giant shade through the hometown was one of the most fun boss fights I played all year!

I've just rented Star Ocean 4: International and that feels like a purchase to me. Enough content to keep me satisfied for a few weeks anyway.
Don't even bother trying for all Battle Trophies, though. That achievement/trophy requires dedication of an unprecedented level. I loved the combat, liked the plot, hated the characters, hated the dialogue. And no, I'm NOT switching the audio the Japanese.

Hashbrick

Mar 20, 2009
I can see where the reviewer is coming from, however saying nothing new is a slap in the face. The fact that it alone takes so many different game play elements is something new and refreshing. I was just shocked when each new dungeon I went to was something completely different and the good old MUD days were relived when doing the tasks in the forest of myth. At times the story seems like they just drew straws to go a certain way with it, but it is a pretty damn good one, specially for JRPG standards. I had fun with it and it will be an RPG that will sit on my shelf and play again down the road.

If you are on the fence about it, rent it's well worth the rental. However if you are an JRPG lover of all colors this will be something you will want to hold on to because I don't think we will ever get something this cool and gameplay changing again at least in this genre.