Steam for Mac Sets Portal Free - UPDATED

Andy Chalk

One Flag, One Fleet, One Cat
Nov 12, 2002
Steam for Mac Sets Portal Free - UPDATED

The Steam client for Mac is now available and to celebrate the occasion, Valve is giving away the hit puzzle game Portal [http://orange.half-life2.com/portal.html] absolutely free.

Valve confirmed in Valve time [http://www.escapistmagazine.com/news/view/98946-Valve-Announces-Steam-and-Source-for-Mac], the big moment is here. "It's great that we now have the ability to connect with Mac gamers via Steam," said Valve President Gabe Newell. "This is the beginning of a groundswell of games coming out for and fully utilizing the openness and power of the Mac."

Every Wednesday for the next few weeks, Valve will be releasing a set of games playable on the Mac [http://store.steampowered.com/browse/mac], starting with titles that feature Steam Play that allows users to buy a game once and then play it on all Steam supported platforms. This week's selection includes And Yet It Moves, Braid, Peggle Nights, World of Goo, Zuma Deluxe and of course Portal, which as we mentioned is currently available at absolutely no cost.

That's right: Until May 24, you can snag your very own copy of Portal and it won't cost you a dime. And that's not just the Mac version, either; if you're a PC gamer who somehow hasn't yet sampled the transcendent joys of the Aperture Science Handheld Portal Device, this is the perfect time to make your move.

So, to recap: Mac Steam, Portal free. Go to store.steampowered.com [http://store.steampowered.com] and get yours today!

UPDATE: There's a video!

Onyx Oblivion

Borderlands Addict. Again.
Sep 9, 2008
Downloading now.

Honestly, I played it before on the 360, and I'm not one for mods and community maps, so if it wasn't free, I'd never have got it.

BUT IT'S FREE! Who hates free?

And get "Braid", "And Yet It Moves", and "World of Goo", too, Mac users!

WrongSprite

Resident Morrowind Fanboy
Aug 10, 2008
Already done ;) And I'm quite pleased, although I wasn't too keen on Portal. Free things are never bad.

Banana Phone Man

Elite Member
May 19, 2009
It's a shame that I already own this game on every platform I own. Still that only means that I gave them money to create more epic awesome greatness deals like this one in the future.

Billion Backs

Apr 20, 2010
Good way to spread the hype, I guess.

Better hope that there aren't too many Mac-only gamers (and there shouldn't be) or we're in for another flood of 'tards with "no cake" spam.

Jared

The British Paladin
Jul 14, 2009
Great deal for the Mac users! I am sure they will enjoy it! I know I did!

Kiefer13

Wizzard
Jul 31, 2008
While you really should've played Portal by now, for anyone that hasn't this is pretty awesome. Also, good news for Mac gamers I guess. Why you'd want to game on a Mac is beyond me, but there you go.

The Shade

Mar 20, 2008
Already got the Steam client. Waiting until I can hook up to a hard line later tonight before I set in to the 5GB download that is Portal. At last, my little Macbook Pro will begin its journey to becoming the gaming machine it should have been!

Suskie

Nov 9, 2009
So, is TF2 eventually going to be Mac-compatible? And if so, are we PC gamers actually going to be playing TF2 with Mac owners?

Hmm... this should be interesting.

Woodsey

Aug 9, 2009
"if you're a PC gamer who somehow hasn't yet sampled the transcendent joys of the Aperture Science Handheld Portal Device, this is the perfect time to make your move."

Hold on a second...

You're saying there are people who own a PC and haven't played Portal?

JaredXE

Apr 1, 2009
Suskie said:
So, is TF2 eventually going to be Mac-compatible? And if so, are we PC gamers actually going to be playing TF2 with Mac owners?

Hmm... this should be interesting.
Oh dear lord, it would be sheep among the wolves! Those poor Mac owners, never having played a decent game in their lives not made by Blizzard......it will be slaughter!