Saban Re-acquires Rights to Power Rangers, Plans Revival

John Funk

U.N. Owen Was Him?
Dec 20, 2005
Saban Re-acquires Rights to Power Rangers, Plans Revival

Saban has re-acquired from Disney the franchise that made it a fortune in the mid/early-1990s - Mighty Morphin' Power Rangers - and it could see a revival for a new generation.

If you were a kid growing up during the mid-early 1990s (in the States, anyway, can't speak for everywhere else) then you probably have very fond memories of Mighty Morphin' Power Rangers [http://www.amazon.com/Best-Power-Rangers-Ultimate/dp/B00007AJGJ/ref=sr_1_3?ie=UTF8&s=dvd&qid=1276717485&sr=1-3]. It was a show about five teenagers with attitude who were granted mystical morphing powers to battle the evil sorceress Rita Repulsa and her army of monsters with their sweet transforming dinosaur-themed robots.

Looking back on it now, the "teenagers" were all 30, the monsters and Megazord were just guys in rubber suits, and the whole thing was just slightly silly. In fact, it was actually an American take on the Japanese super sentai (that is, teams of costumed heroes in colorful armor) show Zyuranger [http://www.amazon.com/Program-Symphonic-Fantasy-Zyuranger-Chapter/dp/B000MV8054/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&s=music&qid=1276717514&sr=8-1-catcorr] - but for all of its flaws, that doesn't mean it wasn't completely awesome to your average 10-year-old at the time. I can't speak for all of the eleventy million spinoffs that followed, though.

In 2001, when Disney snapped up the license to Power Rangers, the franchise had already grossed some $5 billion. However, Saban representatives think that Disney hasn't done much to expand the franchise since then, other than minor merchandising and the like. According to Saban Brands prexy Elie Dekel, founder Haim Saban and his company believes that Power Rangers holds the potential for a "strong revival" for a modern era.

"Haim has always felt that the brand could truly be evergreen, and while Disney continued to produce the series and support consumer products part of the business, we still see tremendous untapped potential," said Dekel.

Saban Brands will be producing 20 new Power Rangers episodes for kids' TV network Nickelodeon, and the massive library of past Rangers episodes - all 700+ of them - will begin airing on Nick this year.

Now, how about something different: Watch the theme song to the original Zyuranger and notice how bizarre it seems even if all the familiar set pieces are in place. The Yellow Ranger is a guy? What the hell!

And yes, it does sound like they're saying "Jew Ranger."

Jared

The British Paladin
Jul 14, 2009
I really hope they bring back something lke the original...kids should be allowed to grow up with that!

RheynbowDash

Jan 26, 2009
*nerdgasm*

I CANNOT WAIT!

oh yea before you ask, im 25, i grew up with power rangers, but just the first season, not the billion that followed.

Onyx Oblivion

Borderlands Addict. Again.
Sep 9, 2008
[HEADING=1]AT LAST, AFTER *mumble* YEARS, IT'S BACK! TIME TO CONQUER CHILDREN'S TELEVISION![/HEADING]

I should know the series. I watched up to the 12th series, Power Rangers SPD. WHEN I WAS 15. I watched it for waaaaaaaaay longer than I should have. In truth, it actually only went downhill starting in the 13th one...Mystic Force. UGH. Power Rangers DO NOT need capes. FUCKING CAPES!

I watched this show up until 4-5 years ago. Why? Fuck if I know. I'll be 20 in a month...

My favorite memories will always be season 6...Lightspeed Rescue.

Ahh...Let's also not forget Bulk & Skull.

Wildrow12

Mar 1, 2009
ToonLink said:
*nerdgasm*

I CANNOT WAIT!

oh yea before you ask, im 25, i grew up with power rangers, but just the first season, not the billion that followed.
Same here, commander. No shame!

Armored Prayer

Mar 10, 2009
Awesome, I always loved the original series.

But Nickelodeon? I can never see it being aired there. Disney, CN, even Fox Saturdays (whatever its called) always seemed better.

Deofuta

Nov 10, 2009
God I loved those shows. I remember just positively shrieking in the episodes where either someone found out that someone was a ranger, or when new rangers were added on. Those episodes were the best!

Also, after turbo had the kid ranger that is all I wanted to be when I grew up, that is all.

Gabanuka

Oct 1, 2009
I loved the "Jew Ranger" thing and they still make some types of Power ranger shows. They just suck.

Jack and Calumon

Digimon are cool.
Dec 29, 2008
Okay Saban, now go get Digimon Cross Wars and say Tamers instead of Digi-Destined, shut up with the whole "Digi-" Thing, then I'll be interested. ALOT.

Calumon: Worst comes to worst, we'll watch the subs. Nothing will stop us!

Ponch

Mar 31, 2010
I have seen every season, although nit every episode(because that makes it better).
Can't wait to how this is done.
Wonder if they'll go for a gritty reboot?

Hurr Durr Derp

Apr 8, 2009
Power Rangers never fails to bring the nostalgia. At least, the first 2-3 seasons of it. Never cared much for the rest.

I'm eager and afraid at the same time to see what a 'modern' interpretation of it would be like.

The Lawn

Apr 11, 2008
I can speak for Europe having a generation of power ranger nerds...

I have a red ranger action figure that speaks german, it was huge over there too.

Sniper Team 4

Apr 28, 2010
Does anyone else think the show started to die the moment they introduced Tommy, or is that just me being bitter? I loved everyone else, but couldn't stand him.

Always knew there was something odd about Trinie in her armor. "Why does Kimberly get to wear a skirt, but not her?" Finally, I have my answer.

Onyx Oblivion

Sep 9, 2008
Hurr Durr Derp said:
Power Rangers never fails to bring the nostalgia. At least, the first 2-3 seasons of it. Never cared much for the rest.

I'm eager and afraid at the same time to see what a 'modern' interpretation of it would be like.
Oddly, you should care for season 4. Power Rangers In Space was a direct plot continuation of the first, second, and third season. The first season that is a total spin-off is Lost Galaxy, and even that links back to In Space towards the end.

thenumberthirteen

Unlucky for some
Dec 19, 2007
Oh HELL YEAH!

I loved Power Rangers as a Kid, and my interest was again piqued by Linkara's excellent <url=http://thatguywiththeglasses.com/videolinks/linkara/hopr>History of the Power Rangers video series. Bring it on.

EDIT: Zeo Rangers FTW

<youtube=I76KPXi6K_U>
I love that song

Altorin

Jack of No Trades
May 16, 2008
I would totally watch a rebooted MMPR, even if only to see it crash and burn. I wonder if they'd re-use 30 year old sentai footage or remake it from scratch.

I honestly hope for the latter, and Bulk and Skull better be awesome, or else it will suck.

Onyx Oblivion

Sep 9, 2008
Altorin said:
I would totally watch a rebooted MMPR, even if only to see it crash and burn. I wonder if they'd re-use 30 year old sentai footage or remake it from scratch.

I honestly hope for the latter, and Bulk and Skull better be awesome, or else it will suck.
As long as they don't touch the Bulk & Skull theme...

Simalacrum

Resident Juggler
Apr 17, 2008
Actually, I grew up watching the Japanese version of Power Rangers... but its all good :p

I hope its just as corny as it was back then!

Altorin

Jack of No Trades
May 16, 2008
Onyx Oblivion said:
Altorin said:

As long as they don't touch the Bulk & Skull theme...

doodledoodledo doo dooo