Castlevania Comes to iPhone, But Not As You Know It

John Funk

U.N. Owen Was Him?
Dec 20, 2005
Castlevania Comes to iPhone, But Not As You Know It

The legendary Castlevania: Symphony of the Night will be ported to the iPhone as a ... puzzle game?

Here's the good news, everybody: Castlevania: Symphony of the Night [http://www.amazon.com/Castlevania-Symphony-Night-Playstation/dp/B00001OWYW/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&s=videogames&qid=1276717217&sr=1-1], the beloved PS1 action-adventure, will be ported to the iPhone platform. SotN is one of the most fondly-revered games of all time, so this is a good thing, right?

Now, here's the weird news: Konami is turning Symphony into - of all things - a puzzle game called Castlevania Puzzle: Encore of the Night. From what IGN has to say [http://wireless.ign.com/articles/108/1089100p1.html], it seems almost identical to the transformation Street Fighter went under as it became Puzzle Fighter: Colored blocks fall from the screen, you try to line them up into groups of three or more, and when you make a match they fall onto your opponent's half of the playing field.

As with Symphony of the Night, you'll be able to equip your chosen warrior with gear and weapons, like "swords that intensify the damage done by matches" or magical spells. So, it sounds like a match-up between Castlevania, Puzzle Fighter, and Puzzle Quest, then. Given that all three of those were (and are) awesome, one can only hope that Castlevania Puzzle will follow suit.

Raise your hand if you saw this one coming. Now lower that hand and smack yourself, because you are a liar.

(IGN [http://wireless.ign.com/articles/108/1089100p1.html])

Deofuta

Nov 10, 2009
Huh well although I myself am not a fan of mobile puzzle games, I know there have been very well received puzzle games similar to this one. So nice job on the creators part for trying something different.

Weaver

Overcaffeinated
Apr 28, 2008
While I'm disappointed that it's not a true castelvania it will probably be pretty fun.

Fightgarr

Concept Artist
Dec 3, 2008
Question: Why is Alucard (of Symphony of the Night fighting the third last boss from Super Castlevania IV? This is totally ridiculous, those are different games!

Jack and Calumon

Digimon are cool.
Dec 29, 2008
I guess Metal Gear will be doing the same thing next.

"METAL GEAR SOLID: PALM PUZZLE"

Calumon: Sounds like a Dead or Alive minigame.

The Great JT

Oct 6, 2008
Look, Castlevania? Mortal Kombat couldn't get away with this in Deception, and you can't get away with this now. I'm sorry, but you have failed.

Kiithid

Aug 12, 2009
Brad Shepard said:
God help me, please tell me this is a very late April fools joke.
Second that, what's the point of rehashing an old (and really beloved) game and turn it upside down. Sounds like an attempt to beat a dead cow for a few cents.

Even though, now thinking about it, it would be a pain to do Soul Steal on the iPhone. Wish they keep the soundtrack intact at least, Tragic Prince ftw.

Woem

May 28, 2009
And I'm still waiting for SotN to be release on the PSP Go in Europe. Konami: priorities, please!

Jared

The British Paladin
Jul 14, 2009
Well that was unexpected...never would have seen this coming lol

josh797

Nov 20, 2007
FUUUUUUUUUUUU..... thats upsetting. i want a real honest to goodness long form game for my iphone. where is it apple? symphony of the night would fit that perfectly. not this stupid puzzle game that will compete with 500 other puzzle games.

Kenjitsuka

Sep 10, 2009
Puzzle games are about the gameplay 200%, not what graphics they play in the background or center :O

Zimmy

Nov 7, 2009
Woem said:
And I'm still waiting for SotN to be release on the PSP Go in Europe. Konami: priorities, please!
The full game is unlockable on the Castlevania Chronicals game.

While we are on the subject, does anyone know when Castlevania Lords of Shadow will be released?

Woem

May 28, 2009
Zimmy said:
Woem said:

While we are on the subject, does anyone know when Castlevania Lords of Shadow will be released?
And sadly enough, Castlevania Chronicals is also not available in the European PSN.

Veldt Falsetto

Dec 26, 2009
Zimmy said:
Woem said:

:( dunno all the official site has is screenshots and a trailer