Rumor: Raven Software Working on Call of Duty Maps

Andy Chalk

One Flag, One Fleet, One Cat
Nov 12, 2002
Rumor: Raven Software Working on Call of Duty Maps

Word on the street is that Wolfenstein [http://www.ravensoft.com/] and the upcoming Singularity, has been pulled off its latest project and put to work making map packs for the new Call of Duty game, Black Ops.

It's only a rumor at this point but Call of Duty: Black Ops [http://g4tv.com/thefeed/blog/post/704663/Activision-Pulls-Raven-Software-Off-Bond-Game-Now-Designing-Call-Of-Duty-Maps.html] instead.

The collapse of Infinity Ward was obviously bad news for the Call of Duty franchise, but I had no idea it would take this many studios to shore things up. If the rumor is true, Raven would become the fourth developer involved with the series to some extent, alongside Sledgehammer Games [http://www.treyarch.com/] and of course the remains of Infinity Ward. Does that seem like a bit of overkill to anyone else?

Call of Duty: Black Ops [http://www.gamestop.com/Catalog/ProductDetails.aspx?product_id=77793] is scheduled for release in November for the PC, Xbox 360, PlayStation 3 and Wii, and it's probably safe to assume that map packs will follow soon after.

Worgen

Follower of the Glorious Sun Butt.
Legacy
Apr 1, 2009
each map will cost $20 and be required to play online, and those that dont buy them will find their games melted in the console or computers burned

because activision cares

Kenjitsuka

Sep 10, 2009
O, Raven!
It's produced so many good games, like Voyager Elite Force, now reduced to making maps?

Really good maps, I am sure... But still more a task for an enthusiastic modder than a great studio :S

Worgen said:
each map will cost $20 and be required to play online, and those that dont buy them will find their games melted in the console or computers burned

because activision cares
Hehehe, true that!

VitusPrime

Sep 26, 2008
This sounds...unlikely at best, I think activison would focus more on getting Singularity out the way BEFORE getting them on map packs.

Deofuta

Nov 10, 2009
Huh, interesting.

Hopefully it is for the CoD Zombie maps, which I find to be treyarch's most redeeming feature for their CoD installments.

Generic_Dave

Prelate Invigilator
Jul 15, 2009
Andy Chalk said:
says "multiple sources familiar with the situation" are reporting that Raven Software is the latest studio to be poured into the Call of Duty hole left by the implosion of Infinity Ward
First...how does the Infinity Ward explosions reflect on Black Ops, Infinity Ward had nothing to do with it.

But more importantly, sad to see new games being canned (or the next best thing) because of map packs...

Apr 28, 2008
Worgen said:

because activision cares
And if you have any questions, comments, and/or concerns you can contact Activision and they will send over a "friendly" representative who will help "convince" you that you want the maps.

reg42

Mar 18, 2009
I think Quake 4's MP maps were pretty great, so hooray for Raven!

DividedUnity

Oct 19, 2009
So the games no where near being released and theyre already pulling this map pack bollocks?

I know what game I wont be buying anyway

Worgen said:

because activision cares
Quoted for truth. I wouldnt be suprised if they tried something like this. The 20 bucks a map part anyway

Jared

The British Paladin
Jul 14, 2009
If this is true then it seems like really bad business sense.

CloggedDonkey

Nov 4, 2009
One: THANK YOU FOR THE RELEASE DATE OF SINGULARITY! I OWE YOU A COOKIE!
And two: I don't give two shits about the map packs, for I'm not buying the game in respect for my dead uncle who died fighting that stupid war, which will most likely be portrayed as a success in this game.

Outlaw Torn

Dec 24, 2008
How long until any studio associated with Activision is forced in to churning out weekly Call of Duty clones? At least there will be less [word] Hero games clogging up landfills.

ENKC

May 3, 2010
Ah, Raven. I remember them from the Soldier of Fortune days. Now there was an FPS. Hmm, I wonder how CoD would go with some of that ultraviolence? "Soldier of Duty", anyone?

RUINER ACTUAL

Oct 29, 2009
CloggedDonkey said:
One: THANK YOU FOR THE RELEASE DATE OF SINGULARITY! I OWE YOU A COOKIE!
And two: I don't give two shits about the map packs, for I'm not buying the game in respect for my dead uncle who died fighting that stupid war, which will most likely be portrayed as a success in this game.
The game is going to be stupid. One of the "call to duties" is the Bay of Pigs invasion. How well did that go now? That'll make some game for sure.

OT: The CoD franchise is dead. They'll continue to make them, but they will not be to the same caliber as CoD4. It's sad how MW2 could've been so much better if IW had not been forced to make it at the time, because they didn't want to yet, then have Activision stick its dick in it constantly.

Go Respawn!

The Rockerfly

Dec 31, 2008
Worgen said:

because activision cares
*cough* this one is made by Treyarch *cough*

OT: so before the game is being made there are going to be extra maps, for fuck sakes why do gamers let themselves get treated like this

r_Chance

Dec 13, 2008
I can really think of things I'd rather see Raven doing... say Hexen or Heretic III. Map packs designed to pour money into Activision for a game that's already going to be overpriced and overhyped... not so much.

RaVeN-05

Dec 9, 2009
I think this is rumor. I know they worked on Singularity.
COD is not Raven Profile =)
r_Chance said:
I can really think of things I'd rather see Raven doing... say Hexen or Heretic III. Map packs designed to pour money into Activision for a game that's already going to be overpriced and overhyped... not so much.
Something new?
HeXen: Edge of Chaos
http://www.hexenmod.com/

Hybridwolf

Aug 14, 2009
Erm....didn't raven make bullet witch, or is that my imaginiation...?

OT: Well considering Wolfeinstein maps where good, this should be fine. Granted if it's $20 then it'll be a rip off, but who cares. People will still buy it.

silverbullet1989

Jun 7, 2009
i hate hearing about anything to do with map packs for a game being in planning stages BEFORE THE GAME ITS SELF IS EVEN RELEASED.. even if it only a rumour my blood is boiling