Steam Gets Civilized

Shamus Young

Jul 7, 2008
Steam Gets Civilized

Some long-time Civilization fans are getting pretty steamed.

Read Full Article

JEBWrench

Apr 23, 2009
As a long-time Civilization fan, I say this is fantastic news.
I have honestly never seen a Civilization game in a brick-and-mortar store in my entire life.

HT_Black

May 1, 2009
As always, I really don't get what the controversy is about. As far as I can tell, Steam is just plain BOSS (for lack of a better term).

Dr_Steve_Brule

Mar 28, 2010
"If they want to play the game they must install Steam, even if they don't want to play multiplayer."
So?
I don't get what all the fuzz is about.

Acidwell

Beware of Snow Giraffes
Jun 13, 2009
Why should we not support the platform that offers the best value, excellent connectivity and a good friend system just because it might become bad in the future.
There are plenty of people who hate Modern Warfare 2 but none of them regret cod2 or 4.

Auto patching can be turned off and if you want to play multiplayer you would have to patch it anyway so thats not a major deal.

The steam client is one of the best if not the best. Impulse is a joke. I love soase but trying to use the impulse matchmaking was terrible. It uses irc as the group chat which is fine but not exactly user friendly.

Just because its "cool" to take shots at the big guy doesn't mean it makes sense especially if the competition is so far behind.

Edit: Also if it didn't have steam it would probably have an even more restrictive drm system that would need an internet connection at least once.

May 1, 2010
I'll be the first in the thread to be on the anti-steam side of the fence then.

The controversy is about having to install a programme that will do absolutely nothing for me bar sit there taking memory.

I have no intention playing Civilization online, mainly because the AI is superb and I am perfectly happy with playing the computer; and secondly I personally don't feel multiplayer is well suited to this particular game.

This is enough of an aggravation for me that I'm seriously considering not getting this game (and I've been a devout fan since the Amiga), I really am not willing to encourage a developing trend of tertiary software requirements.

Pandora92

Apr 2, 2010
I really don't get the argument about Steam basically being "always online DRM", it DOES have an offline mode, and you can set it to auto-login for you when you load up Windows, so really once you've installed it then you can just pretty much ignore it if you don't want any of the benefits Steam has to offer.

StriderShinryu

Dec 8, 2009
"Six years ago Half-Life 2 came out as a Steam exclusive. Fans of the series got a chance to figure out what the platform was all about, and then they had to decide if they were willing to accept it, or miss out on the flagship of all FPS games."

Not a bad column by any means but.. what? Half-Life 2 the flagship of FPS? Yes, I'm an admitted HL2 unbeliever but even if I stretch my imagination (and tolerance) as far as it (they) can go, I still can't see any truth in this statement.

JEBWrench

Apr 23, 2009
Don said:
The controversy is about having to install a programme that will do absolutely nothing for me bar sit there taking memory..
That's about the only drawback I can see. But Steam takes up roughly the same resources as a Web Browser.

And in Offline Mode... About half as much as Firefox.

Therumancer

Citation Needed
Nov 28, 2007
I myself use Steam mainly because it's an easy way to try games for $5-$10... BUT I prefer to have the option. If I'm paying full retail price for a game, I expect to get a disc, and the abillity to back it up and play it anytime I want from now until the stars go cold. As much of a juggernaut as STEAM seems to be right now there is no guarantee that 5 or 10 years from now things will be the same way. They could sell out to another company, go bankrupt, or any of a million other things... and when they do, they take my games with them. Now granted, I probably have spent a couple hundred dollars on Steam for all these little games that were on sale, losing them will tick me off, but then again that risk was mitigated by the price.

What slots me off is when I go out to a retail store, and buy a physical copy of a game, and then get home and find out that the game is basically a glorified download code. An example of this kind of thing is "Mount and Blade: Warband" which being a small developer I should have expected something like this, but I pretty much jumped at the oppertunity to own that game on disc and then (admittedly stupidly now) found out it still required STEAM.

The thing is that all the bellyaching in the world isn't going to change things. In general the game industry has learned to ignore the fans, because we'll buy the games anyway despite our complaining. Really the only way to stop stuff like this is going to be if enough people (by the millions internatioally) decided that they would stop buying games entirely until the industry changed it's practices.

Emlyn

Sep 21, 2009
JEBWrench said:
Don said:
The controversy is about having to install a programme that will do absolutely nothing for me bar sit there taking memory..
That's about the only drawback I can see. But Steam takes up roughly the same resources as a Web Browser.

If this is a problem for your machine then you have far more pressing concerns then installing steam.

zakski

Mar 24, 2009
Pandora92 said:
"always online DRM"
It may not be "always online", but it is "always on", This is terrible news as I would buy games like this on other platforms to avoid having to run steam to play them.

Asehujiko

Feb 25, 2008
Steam, while browsing the store, is using 24mb of ram, roughly 0.7% of one cpu core and doesn't even touch my video card at all. In game, it offloads most functions to the game itself and uses even less. Offline mode cuts the RAM usage in half ontop of that. If this causes a noticeable slowdown on your system, I advise you to install it on a PC instead of a phone.

Calhoun347

Aug 25, 2009
Acidwell said:
Why should we not support the platform that offers the best value, excellent connectivity and a good friend system just because it might become bad in the future.
There are plenty of people who hate Modern Warfare 2 but none of them regret cod2 or 4.

Auto patching can be turned off and if you want to play multiplayer you would have to patch it anyway so thats not a major deal.

The steam client is one of the best if not the best. Impulse is a joke. I love soase but trying to use the impulse matchmaking was terrible. It uses irc as the group chat which is fine but not exactly user friendly.

Just because its "cool" to take shots at the big guy doesn't mean it makes sense especially if the competition is so far behind.

Edit: Also if it didn't have steam it would probably have an even more restrictive drm system that would need an internet connection at least once.
Well, To be fair to the competitors, Steam has taken pages from the Impulse play book with regards to sales.

I love steam, I love valve, I also love Civilization. I have around 150 steam games, and I've not regretted the purchase of a single one. (around 3 were BAD games, but I got them for so cheap, i can't even be angry.)

I can understand though, why people who don't need steam for anything else feel. It's how I felt about rockstar social club when playing GTAIV, I HATE rockstar social club.

Steam is a blessing for those who want it's features. Steam is a curse for those who don't need it.

That said, as far as DRM scheme's go, just having steam as one is preferable to me than Securom, or pretty much ANY other DRM scheme out there now.

StriderShinryu said:
"Six years ago Half-Life 2 came out as a Steam exclusive. Fans of the series got a chance to figure out what the platform was all about, and then they had to decide if they were willing to accept it, or miss out on the flagship of all FPS games."

Not a bad column by any means but.. what? Half-Life 2 the flagship of FPS? Yes, I'm an admitted HL2 unbeliever but even if I stretch my imagination (and tolerance) as far as it (they) can go, I still can't see any truth in this statement.
When it came out, i'd go so far as to call it the Flagship. It's not NOW but the genre has shifted towards the multi-player death-match since it's release.

theSovietConnection

Survivor, VDNKh Station
Jan 14, 2009
I think the problem here comes from the Civilization 4: The Complete Edition (it could be on the others, but I only have this edition, so if it is on others let me know and I'll edit accordingly). For those that did get the hard copy of the game, there was a little something on the back:

DRM Free: The complete Civ IV[sub]TM[/sub] experience with no Digital Rights Management limitations.
So really, whether you like Steam or not, this is already a step backwards from where the series was with Civ IV.

JEBWrench

Apr 23, 2009
Emlyn said:
If this is a problem for your machine then you have far more pressing concerns then installing steam.
Though Civilization games have often appealed to people with lower-end machines, because they're not as taxing as games of the same generation.

I do remember a time when "You have a program running in the background that takes up 12-40 MB of RAM" was a terrible burden.

Korten12

Now I want ma...!
Aug 26, 2009
Acidwell said:

I somewhat agree on best vaules, some old games are a bit pricy, and Team Fortress 2 is $20 on steam and $10 in stores.

Cody211282

Apr 25, 2009
Damn it why do i need steam, I don't play multiplayer(except local) and I hate auto-updates not to mention I despise having steam on my computer. The only reason I have it right now is because I need to for DOW2 and I hate the fact that it takes about 5 min for steam to launch, then update, then look for updates for the game, then it prepares to launch for another 3, then finally lets me play my damn game.

May 1, 2010
JEBWrench said:

It isn't about what it consumes, its the point of having it there in the first place.

Emlyn said:
My rig has no issues with these things in the slightest - I think people are getting too hung up on this. I like how its a "concern" however.

Perhaps I should have stopped at "The controversy is about having to install a programme that will do absolutely nothing for me".

To put it blunt, I shouldn't have to turn on my air conditioner to drive my car.

addeB

Oct 2, 2009
I'm a long time civilization fan and I have no problem that with this. I'm just glad that I have a insurance that if I lose my game or the disc breaks I can download it from steam. That is why I like when a game I buy come with a steam code. ;P