Treyarch Confirms Dedicated Servers for Black Ops

Andy Chalk

One Flag, One Fleet, One Cat
Nov 12, 2002
Treyarch Confirms Dedicated Servers for Black Ops

Treyarch boss Mark Lamia has confirmed that Call of Duty: Black Ops [http://www.gamestop.com/Catalog/ProductDetails.aspx?product_id=77793] will have dedicated servers, saying he thinks they're really quite "excellent."

Dedicated servers are always fun to talk about. I'm not completely clear on what they actually are, but they seem to pit PC and console gamers against each other and that's good enough for me. A rumor [http://www.escapistmagazine.com/news/view/99511-Rumor-Call-of-Duty-7-Is-Black-Ops-Has-Dedicated-Servers] that the new Call of Duty game would support dedicated servers first went around at the end of March and now it's finally been confirmed as the truth.

"I think dedicated servers are excellent. I don't see any reason not to see them unless... well, I just don't see any reason not to," Lamia told CVG [http://www.computerandvideogames.com/article.php?id=246438].

"We do work very hard to reconcile the desire to manipulate and modify those dedicated servers with offering them the persistent experience and benefits that the console system provides," he continued. "We're working very hard to marry those two things, so people can run dedicated servers and also participate in the communal experience the console players get to have, given they're all on first-party servers."

Dedicated servers have been a point of contention since Infinity Ward maybe [http://www.escapistmagazine.com/news/view/95584-No-Dedicated-Servers-for-Modern-Warfare-2-PC-Fans-Freak-Out]."

Call of Duty: Black Ops hits the shelves in November 2010 for the PC, Xbox 360, PlayStation 3 and Wii

xHipaboo420x

Apr 22, 2009
Not playing until it's balanced for lean

Well it's a step in the right direction, although I've noticed that, from a purely casual PoV, MW2 didn't suffer massively for want of dedicated servers.

SturmDolch

This Title is Ironic
May 17, 2009
I'm actually glad there weren't dedicated servers in MW2. I didn't buy it because of that, but I recently got to try it on a free weekend on Steam. It's a terrible console port anyways, and I would have been sad if I wasted my money on it.

So this doesn't really make much of a difference. I see this as a quick publicity-beg to the PC crowd. At least Bad Company 2 had a dedicated PC developer team. Dedicated servers won't stop your game from being a shitty console port. They'll make it a less laggy console port, but still a console port.

AndyFromMonday

Feb 5, 2009
Hopefully Treyarch listened to the criticism that Modern Warfare 2 got and made a better game. Possibly with an interesting story and memorable characters this time around.

Kirkby

May 3, 2010
Well its nice of Treyarch to try SOMETHING different from Infinity Ward

Emlyn

Sep 21, 2009
Well that just solved the largest issue with Mw2. Goodbye hackers, hello (better chance of) enjoyable game.

Flour

Mar 20, 2008
MaxChaos said:
Not playing until it's balanced for lean

Well it's a step in the right direction, although I've noticed that, from a purely casual PoV, MW2 didn't suffer massively for want of dedicated servers.
It's annoying to get in a really slow game though(random slowdowns, great for headshots but laggy). And from what I've seen in last weekend's steam MW2 multiplayer trial/demo, quitting means adding a loss. I don't know why anyone should care for that but there are even casual people that do care.

fix-the-spade

Feb 25, 2008
Good news,

bye bye hackers
bye bye 400 ping being the 'best' connection
bye bye 16 players
bye bye host advantage

Hello mods
And welcome back admins, we missed you so much!

I still want to know if it was Infinity Ward or Activision's decision to force peer to peer online play on Modern Warfare 2's PC port. Welcome back dedicated servers, the system with no disadvantages at all comapred to p2p.

Lukeydoodly

Sep 9, 2008
It's a start at least. Now how about this thing called balance. Good luck getting that right.

Oh and fix the fucking double shot glitch already!

Asehujiko

Feb 25, 2008
Is that guy in the picture carrying multiple assault rifles? That makes even less sense then dual smg/pistols in mw2.

sneakypenguin

Elite Member
Legacy
Jul 31, 2008
Country
usa
O yay so instead of 30ms lag we get 30 ms lag...lol As long as theres matchmaking though it shouldn't be any different for me.

Jared

The British Paladin
Jul 14, 2009
Well. I suppose not a bad way to go. Be able to control things more with the dedicated server problem

DazZ.

Elite Member
Jun 4, 2009
This is the first time any Call of Duty news has interested me for a long time, I will actually take a look at Black Ops now.

Hope it's actually a good game.

JourneyThroughHell

Sep 21, 2009
Yay? I doubt the console versions'll have them and those are the ones I'll probably end up buying.
Sorry, guys, you might list me off as a diehard MW fanboy who supports every decision of the series but I honestly had better luck with matchmaking than with the DS.

Sikachu

Apr 20, 2010
Andy Chalk said:
I'm not completely clear on what they actually are, but they seem to pit PC and console gamers against each other and that's good enough for me.
Now I understand that it criticising the staff can be one's suicide note around here but it can't be just me that was struck by the laziness of this. Could you have not asked someone else in the office to explain it to you, or looked it up on the internet, or got someone who did know something about the subject matter to write the news post?

MR T3D

Feb 21, 2009
still waiting on declared mod support before an official FUCK YEA, TREYARCH!

DividedUnity

Oct 19, 2009
Wow everyone complaining actually did something. Now we just gotta wait for Ubis evil drm to go then we can all live in happiness