Call of Duty Might Take a DeLorean Into the Future

Tom Goldman

Crying on the inside.
Aug 17, 2009
Call of Duty Might Take a DeLorean Into the Future

Trademarks filed by Activision could hint at the future of Call of Duty.

This week, Activision filed multiple trademarks discovered by Call of Duty: Black Ops [http://supererogatory.tumblr.com/post/596092270/created-on-2010-05-11]. The company covered multiple bases with the filings, indicating that CoD could go to the future, into space, or beyond.

Here is the full list of what was trademarked:

callofdutyfuturewarfare.com
callofdutyfuturewarfare2.com
callofdutyfuturewarfare3.com
advancedwarfare2.com
advancedwarfare3.com
codfuturewarfare.com
codfuturewarfare2.com
codfuturewarfare3.com
futurewarfare2.com
futurewarfare3.com
secretwarfare2.com
secretwarfare3.com
spacewarfare2.com
spacewarfare3.com

The most likely candidate for another Call of Duty game would be Future Warfare in my mind, or possibly Secret Warfare though it sounds a bit similar to Black Ops. Space Warfare also infers that whatever is in-development, in a concept phase, or simply an idea, involves much more than futuristic guns and mechs.

Activision could just be looking into the future for places it may want to take the series even if it doesn't plan to currently. The variations here appear to mean that nothing is concrete, but something may be in the works. After World War II got stale, Call of Duty was brought into modern times with Modern Warfare, so it makes perfect sense to take the popular FPS forward in time again to avoid making the current-day stale too. This is all speculation, but let's face it, it's probably going to happen in some form.

Source: Superannuation [http://supererogatory.tumblr.com/post/596092270/created-on-2010-05-11]

Pimppeter2

Dec 31, 2008
Any one else notice they didn't get ones for

advancedwarfare 1, spacewarfare 1, or secretwarfare 1?

Pandalisk

Jan 25, 2009
CallofDuty: Halo Warfare
CallofDuty: Epic warfare
CallofDuty: Warfare 40k

Needless to say i know damn well the COD series will outlive me.

Flying Dagger

Apr 14, 2009
Future warfare is probably the only way to go.
Would probably be more interested if they'd gone for "Medievil warfare" or "Prehistoric warfare"
Guess I can't expect them to shoot their cash cow.

ProfessorLayton

Elite Member
Nov 6, 2008
We can't be too sure on this for now... you know, they might have just gotten them to make sure no clone sites were made to look like official sites that were completely bogus.

It seems Call of Duty has come a long way. The nostalgia hits me like a ton of bricks when I watch videos of the original games... but now, I'm just not too sure. Personally? Call me when United Offensive's multiplayer is active again.

The Austin

Jul 20, 2009
CALL OF DUTY: WE'RE-OFFICIALLY-BEATING-THE-DEAD-HORSE WARFARE!!!

He-he. I'm so funny.

Anyway, I hope that the boys at IW actually pull this through.

ionveau

Nov 22, 2009
Dont understand whats so good about COD, I would play CSS over this game anyday (no my computer is not 20 years old)

Cabisco

May 7, 2009
Pimppeter2 said:

Wow, your right. But luckily the way it sounds like they are planning to flood the market secretwarfare6 will be out by the time anyone notices.

You would think Activision would be scared of diluting the market, I personally already know I can't be bothered to by black ops and i'm sure the numbers of people like me will grow as they create more and more games. This is based on the fact multiple companies work on cod now, not that they have registered multiple potential names for the next one in the series.

AkJay

Feb 22, 2009
>Future Warfare
>Advanced Warfare
>Secret Warfare
>Space Warfare

ew.... Me not want!

Johnnyallstar

Feb 22, 2009
Wow, I'm glad there haven't been any near future FPS with hovercrafts and mech tanks before.

Oh... wait....

I swear it looks just like a prettied up Battlefield 2142.

MortalForNow

Jan 10, 2010
Call of Astronauts?
Call of Secrecy?
Call of Space-Time Continuum?

So pretty much anything technologically advanced appies to the list, right? Forgive me if I'm mistaken, but weren't such properties said to be off-limits to those who left Infinity Ward by Activision? Could this be the reason why?

If so, they're really planning ahead in their release schedule, unless they plan to release these in the same year like they did with the Guitar Hero games. If so, God help us all, Call of Duty will officially be dead.

Note: Yes, I'm one of those people who still likes the series and optimistically looks towards the future, but I hated what Activision decided to do with Guitar Hero and would greatly hold it against them if they made the same mistake with Call of Duty.

Lucane

Mar 24, 2008
Pimppeter2 said:

They're already being used for non Call of Duty related weaponry?

MortisLegio

Nov 5, 2008
oh Hell Nah

Future Warfare I could see as a STAND ALONE project but I think Tom Clancy already did that a few times
Secret Warfare sounds like a rip off of Ghost Recon(also Tom Clancy)
Space Warfare will just be Halo meets 40k

Come on guys with all the money Activision made from MW2 cant they come up with a new franchise
They "might" be good games but you dont have to call them all COD

Amalith

Mar 29, 2009
Johnnyallstar said:
Wow, I'm glad there haven't been any near future FPS with hovercrafts and mech tanks before.

Oh... wait....

That would be because the picture IS a BF2142 image. All the article is going on is trademarks for urls.

Johnnyallstar

Feb 22, 2009
Amalith said:
Johnnyallstar said:

Oh... wait....

That would be because the picture IS a BF2142 image. All the article is going on is trademarks for urls.
Ah, that would explain it. Using Battlefield images for CoD story..... messed with my head a bit.

Tarakos

May 21, 2009
I get the feeling that CoD is well on its way to killing its own momentum. Like Sega's console market in the late '90s, Cod is becoming oversaturated. And they can only go on MW2's momentum for so long.

Fire Daemon

Quoth the Daemon
Dec 18, 2007
Both CoD4 and MW2 were set in the future though.

Whatever, this move was inevitable and I had a feeling it would happen eventually.