Starcraft 2 Beta Going Offline in Two Weeks

Austin MacKenzie

Jan 26, 2010
Starcraft 2 Beta Going Offline in Two Weeks

Blizzard is preparing to close the curtains on the Starcraft 2 beta, but it's more of an intermission than a grand finale.

Blizzard announced today that the beta, which began in February will be going offline on May 31, just two weeks away. During that time, Blizzard will be tweaking the hardware and software configurations in preparation for the official launch. However, a few weeks before Starcraft 2 [http://www.gamestop.com/Catalog/ProductDetails.aspx?product_id=65548] is released, Blizzard will bring the beta back online for final playtesting.

With the beta ending, Starcraft fans will still have to do something to kill time until the game hits stores. To get your Starcraft fix while the beta's offline, you can always revisit our <a href=http://www.escapistmagazine.com/news/tag/sc2+beta>Starcraft 101 videos. Starcraft 2 is due out July 27.

Source: <a href=http://kotaku.com/5540955/blizzard-shutting-down-starcraft-ii-beta-in-two-weeks?utm_source=feedburner&utm_medium=feed&utm_campaign=Feed%3A+kotaku%2Ffull+%28Kotaku%29>Kotaku

microhive

Mar 27, 2009
Well, aren't they planning on putting the servers back up for beta testing before the real launch? As I recall it it's simply a temporary(couple of weeks) outage.

Xaryn Mar

Sep 17, 2008
Argh, just got in this weekend and haven't got to play yet (haven't had the time).

Radeonx

Apr 26, 2009
...I've been playing it since it came out, and enjoying every minute of it.
It was amazing, and I can't wait for the July release.
[sub]It is coming out in July, correct?[/sub]

Jared

The British Paladin
Jul 14, 2009
Wish I could have got in...ah well! Look forward to the fnal version

Nimbus

Token Irish Guy
Oct 22, 2008
Damn. I was getting pretty good too... In a copper-league sort of way :p

Gxas

Sep 4, 2008
What!? Of course my finals had to be this week and I'll have no internet for at least a week when I move home...

[small][unintelligible mumbling][/small]

samsonguy920

Mar 24, 2009
Wow, way to start off the summer, Blizzard. At least a month of no Starcraft 2 for us freaks? I shall rage, and then there will be cake. But will there be grief counseling?

AntiAntagonist

Neither good or bad
Apr 17, 2008
/sad

I've only one week left before I have to give up my computer. Plus don't have much of this week to use it. :(

What a way to start the summer, despite my sneaking suspicion that this would happen (look at your Gamestop receipts).

Alex The Rat

Jan 8, 2010
Well hopefully they'll fix it up a bit and then release it even better. I've been enjoying the beta, especially 2v2, but there are still some units that are a bit broken...

John Funk

U.N. Owen Was Him?
Dec 20, 2005
I am irrationally upset that I'm not going to get to play a game I haven't yet paid a single cent for for a month.

Hm.

Warstratigier

Mar 28, 2009
Well at least I finally got a taste of the SC2 beta since then....I've gotten my fair share of what's what around there......love the Protoss.

The Rogue Wolf

Stealthy Carnivore
Legacy
Nov 25, 2007
Stalking the Digital Tundra
John Funk said:
I am irrationally upset that I'm not going to get to play a game I haven't yet paid a single cent for for a month.

Hm.
YOU'RE mad? I'm not even IN the beta! I'm FURIOUS! Let's go storm Blizzard headquarters and demand...

...demand...

...um.

Muffins! Yeah, muffins.

Baconmonster723

Mar 4, 2009
Dude. I'm just happy they are doing beta right. Unlike the FPS abortion (pardon my lack of tact with that comment) that is the Halo: Reach Beta. Starcraft II looks to be (all original fans hold your breath) possibly even better than Starcraft. It's so good I'm already clearing my work schedule the week it comes out........

Eldritch Warlord

Jun 6, 2008
Baconmonster723 said:
Dude. I'm just happy they are doing beta right. Unlike the FPS abortion (pardon my lack of tact with that comment) that is the Halo: Reach Beta. Starcraft II looks to be (all original fans hold your breath) possibly even better than Starcraft. It's so good I'm already clearing my work schedule the week it comes out........
The Halo: Reach Beta and StarCraft II Beta are for different purposes. StarCraft II Beta focuses on game mechanics with code testing as a bonus. Halo: Reach Beta focuses on code testing with game mechanics as a bonus. This can really be attributed entirely to the difference between an FPS and an RTS.

Or did you mean to say that Halo: Reach just isn't good? Well, that's just like, your opinion man.

tetron

Dec 9, 2009
It'd be pretty cool if they made that final beta an open try it for free beta, and I can't imagine an old bait and hook like that won't help sales a bit.