Percentage of M-Rated Games Continues to Shrink

Andy Chalk

One Flag, One Fleet, One Cat
Nov 12, 2002
Percentage of M-Rated Games Continues to Shrink

The ESRB's [http://www.esrb.org] winter newsletter has revealed that, despite the videogame industry's continuing growth, the percentage of M (Mature) rated videogames is continuing to shrink.

In the newsletter [http://www.esrb.org/about/news/], ESRB President Patricia Vance said that the number of games rated by the Board jumped 22 percent in 2007 to a total of 1563, 94 percent of which were rated T (Teen) or lower. "This past holiday season was the biggest ever for videogames, contributing to record-breaking sales in 2007 of nearly $19 billion in the U.S. alone," she wrote. "And although we tend to hear from the media most about the more controversial Mature-rated games, the reality is that 8.5 out of every 10 games sold last year were rated as appropriate for ages 13 or younger."

According to ESRB figures, games rated E (Everyone 6+) dominated the Board's slate in 2007, accounting for 59 percent of games rated throughout the year. Next in line were games rated T (Teen), suitable for gamers 13 years of age or older, which was assigned to 20 percent of the games rated, and E10+, for gamers at least ten years old, at 15 percent. M (Mature) rated games accounted for only six percent of all the games rated by the ESRB in 2007, down from eight percent in 2006 and 12 percent in 2005.

oneplus999

Oct 4, 2007
Ice-Nine said:
Well, it's settled. The only thing that developers can do is make M-rated games 60% more violent to compensate. (I'm looking at you, Ninja Gaiden II!)
Didn't they try that with Manhunt 2? :)

While mildly interesting, I hope no one is surprised by this, considering that the Wii is responsible for so much of this growth.

[HD]Rob Inglis

Jan 8, 2008
I knew there was something like this to be used against the media. Ah, resident Evil 4 is still a gore mess of fun.

H0ncho

Feb 4, 2008
Huh. When I saw the "Percentage of M-Rated Games Continues" on the display of new forum topics on the frontpage I was almost certain that it would continue with "to rise". I mean, gamers are getting older. Wouldn't this mean there should be made more Mature-rated games?

Nov 15, 2007
H0ncho said:
Huh. When I saw the "Percentage of M-Rated Games Continues" on the display of new forum topics on the frontpage I was almost certain that it would continue with "to rise". I mean, gamers are getting older. Wouldn't this mean there should be made more Mature-rated games?
That would be true if mature games were actually mature, but more often than not they are using violence and tits to sell, and oddly enough that appeals more to the kids who aren't supposed to be playing them than thirty year old gamers with their own children.

I'm not surprised by this trend. Mature games certainly get more attention in the mainstream media, but that doesn't mean it is what everybody is playing. Manhunt 2 is the perfect example.

Arbre

Jan 13, 2007
Of course, we're talking about percentages here.

With the arrival of the Wii and a profusion of games made for E and E+ audiences, it is not surprising that even if the number of M rated games increased a tad, as a whole their percentage would shrink.

The trouble I can see, though, is that with more E/E+ games being sold, less money is spent on M games.

laikenf

Oct 24, 2007
I've always thought that M rated titles didn't comprise a large percentage of games released. I mean come to think of it sports titles are not rated M, racing games either; so if you look at all other genres and add them up I think M rated games are gonna end up at the bottom.

laikenf

Oct 24, 2007
Arbre said:

With the arrival of the Wii and a profusion of games made for E and E+ audiences, it is not surprising that even if the number of M rated games increased a tad, as a whole their percentage would shrink.

The trouble I can see, though, is that with more E/E+ games being sold, less money is spent on M games.
There is ALWAYS going to be an audience for M rated games; just like in the movies.

laikenf

Oct 24, 2007
The Irrelevant Gamer said:
H0ncho said:
That would be true if mature games were actually mature, but more often than not they are using violence and tits to sell, and oddly enough that appeals more to the kids who aren't supposed to be playing them than thirty year old gamers with their own children.

Sorry for all the consecutive posts :p. Funny, I had a GBA and last year decided to upgrade to a PSP so that I can play more violent and "mature" stuff, the thing is I now find myself playing a whole lot of Daxter, Gurumin, LocoRoco, Mega Man Powered up; all "kiddy" looking games and I'm 31. This doesn't mean that I prefer "kiddy" games to "mature" ones, it's just that those games are REALLY cool, gamers will play anything good you give them.

I'm not surprised by this trend. Mature games certainly get more attention in the mainstream media, but that doesn't mean it is what everybody is playing. Manhunt 2 is the perfect example.

Arbre

Jan 13, 2007
laikenf said:
Arbre said:

There is ALWAYS going to be an audience for M rated games; just like in the movies.
Agreed. But the problem is that when the choice of games is bending towards one side, it will influence the buying choices of customers to some degree. Picking a M rated game when there would be 50% of M rated games and 50% of E+ games would be easy.
But now, imagine the M ones only getting 10% of the share (arbitrary numbers), some customers could be influenced by the greater number of family friendly games.
Like, for example, when you're going to a store to grab a game, without necessary aiming for a title in particular... the more E+ rated games there will be, the more chances are that you may "try" (buy) one of those, instead of trying to dig the M rated game you didn't even came for anyway.
I'm not a big fan of buying games without any target in mind, but I know some people who do.