254: The Games That Bind

Amanda Yesilbas

Dec 12, 2008
The Games That Bind

What happens when two people who met via the internet suddenly find themselves cohabitating in matrimony? After a brief period of adjustment, Amanda Yesilbas and her new husband bonded by playing games together.

Read Full Article

TheDoctor455

Friendly Neighborhood Time Lord
Apr 1, 2009
And...
to think that the most prevalent gamer stereotype is that we're all hopelessly shy nerds without any hope of coming in contact with another human being... let alone falling in love and marrying.

Heh.
That's why stereotypes are bullshit.

Eleima

Keeper of the GWJ Holocron
Feb 21, 2010
Very insightful article. There have been games that have created ties for years now. For myself, it must've started about 20 years ago.
At first, my sister and I played single player games together, helping each other out as we puzzled out the riddles of the mysterious castle in Think Quick! [http://www.mobygames.com/game/think-quick] (which basically boiled down to evading worms who would eat you, and timing the moment when you opened certain doors).
Then came games such as Wacky Wheels [http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Wacky_wheels] which was simple enough that it required the use of only five or six keys (up, down, left, right, brake, shoot), and the multiplayer was dubbed "hot seat", which meant that each player was scrunched up on her end of the keyboard, engaging in an intense race against her opponent.
Finally, we started playing networked games of the likes of Doom [http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Doom_%28video_game%29], Duke Nukem 3D [http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Duke_Nukem_3d], or Shadow Warrior [http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Shadow_warrior]. Sometimes we helped each other out in the cooperative mode, progressing in each mission and moving the story (or lack thereof) along. Sometimes we just had fun blowing each other's brains out.
Bottom line is that some games aren't epic in the sense that the gameplay, the storyline, the music, the graphics, etc, aren't up to the standards which are expected of games today. Yet we still remember them today because of the moments shared back then, and I'm glad to see such a beautiful article with a similar tale of games that bind you together.
Of course, I would've hated playing "there's that dude", preferring to take matters in my own hands, but that's just me. ;)

Skarlette

May 17, 2010
I love falling asleep in bed while I watch my boyfriend play games like Fallout or Oblivion. (I don't TRY to fall asleep, but it's just so comfortable being there watching, that it inevitably leads to dozing.) I try and contribute, usually with a walkthrough guide perched nearby so I feel like I can follow with him. It's really comforting, so I can definitely empathize with everything you wrote.

ccesarano

Oct 3, 2007
I love articles like this. To me, there are four areas of games writing. News oriented, which is what dominates the industry today with hype and information. Critical, which focus on analysis and critique (and are horribly done by most of the industry. I'm pretty much restricted to reading The Escapist, Shamus Young's blog and Gamers With Jobs in this regard), Op/Ed which can be critical but is generally more broad but always with a purpose, and then Life. Life is the most under-written aspect of games writing out there, but when I read it I love it. It can have life-lessons hidden within without having to actually provide an argument. Even if it provides no overall point, it's always just nice to see what sort of role games can play in someone's life.

I might be keeping up with your blog from now on just for more like this.

As for the story itself, kind of reminds me of my 2nd year of College living in an apartment with some friends. One of them got Resident Evil 4 and gave me permission to play when he wasn't around or wanted to take a break. Somehow what emerged was a pattern where one would watch as the other progressed, then switch save files. I would play up to where he saved, catching up, but then I would progress to the next major point in the game. Then he would load up his file, play through the segment he just watched me play already knowing the tricks and secrets, and then progress to the next chapter which was new for both of us.

We never needed a FAQ or guide, and while this technically slowed the overall progress it allowed for a bonding moment. We'd make commentary, help point out treasures, potential weak spots, figure out boss fights, and in the end just enjoyed the game together.

Unfortunately after that year we all left the apartment, and I was never able to see him as much anymore. However, every once in a while I think back to that time and send him a message, getting in contact again. I don't know if I would do that if it weren't for Resident Evil 4.

airwolfe591

Dec 11, 2009
I can definitely empathize with the long distance relationship part. I'm currently in a relationship that's going very well and what's tough for us is deciding who's country we're going to move to. It's going to be a difficult road until we're together but it'll be great. Your story fills me with enough hope that we'll be able to make it in the long run, thanks for that. ^^

Sniper Team 4

Apr 28, 2010
I like this piece. It is something sweet and different.

Glad Star Wars was able to help, as many people do not appreciate its value :)

bakonslayer

Apr 15, 2009
This is so adorable! It reminds me of this summer when my girlfriend forced me to play Okami, she would come over and watch me play, trying to give me advice while I hushed her down, reassuring her that I knew what I was doing (I didn't). And then when a cutscene would come up she would always remind me that I was Waka (the cute, french rival of the main character).

There is nothing better than playing video games with the one you love.

Kiithid

Aug 12, 2009
I'm glad to read it's been working out greatly for both of you.

Playing with someone you enjoy to spend your time with (read as the one or some good friends) is one of the best ways to relax and enjoy the so called life in my opnion.
Plus getting to know your playmates better, much like the time I rolled on the floor at the sight of a left behind Pikmin but nearly cried when I was playing it and forgot one of those pesky things behind, much like simulated actions relecting a inner part of one's being.

GonzoGamer

Apr 9, 2008
Stop spying on my wife and I.
Really, this reflects a lot of my married life. We also take turns between the computer & console (also in the same room) but for some games we just watch each other to the point that if she's in the middle of playing Fallout 3 when I get home, I have to ask what I missed. But with that game "there's a dude" evolves into many variations: "there's a deathclaw" "there's a skillbook" "there's a.... what the hell is that?"

It is definitely a good thing to have similar interests. Besides being able to relate to each other, we are also quite forgiving when one of us gets a little addicted: it happens to both of us and not always with the same games.

EddySpaghetti

Feb 13, 2010
Hello i'm a huuuge gamer..and i have a hard time geting to know girl gamers here in italia and online...and wen i do i end up with some liferejected fat canadian girl....i don't want to sound disrespectfull but...after falling in love with a girl that told me she was a Pocahontas lookalike..(for about 5 months than in tears told me the truth to witch i reacted with "it dosen't mater i still love you"but diden't actualy think so,i just wanted to be nice) i think i have the right to say stuff like that.

Yor article realy rules...i hope i'l meet some girlgamer that dosent say she's a Pocahontas lookalike (wen she looks like she eat Pocahontas).Your article filed me with hope...xD i realy wana meet a girlgamer...ive been and still am in casual relashionships with nongamer girls and find it kinda...superficial because we don't actualy blend togheder like i wood want to,but mearly superficialy blend in to one while having sex or doing stuff togheder like shoping (witch i looove)...

I live on my own and have a 2 year old son witch i see in the weekends once or twice a month cose i'm divorced and thinking of a girlgamer in my life at this point realy gives me "a RedBull" and makes me dream about how superawesome it wood be O_O

GIRLGAMERS COME TO DADDY!!!!!! (PSN name so2FAST4U xD)

Kelbear

Aug 31, 2007
My wife likes games, but only a very specific kind of casual gaming genre.

Usually revolving around the dine & dash game concept, puzzles, or find the item in the picture games.

I've been playing a lot more console games because she uses the desktop to play her casual games. Definitely going to make space for 2 keyboards and mice in the new home so that I can get back to PC gaming.

She pushed me towards playing console games because she liked to watch me play them while we lay on the bed. Then she could drift to sleep. Now she's too hooked on her PC games to join me:(