BlizzCon 2010 Tickets On Sale in June

Andy Chalk

One Flag, One Fleet, One Cat
Nov 12, 2002
BlizzCon 2010 Tickets On Sale in June

Tickets for the upcoming BlizzCon 2010 will go on sale in two separate batches in June, doubling fans' chances of missing out on one of the year's premiere gaming events.

BlizzCon 2010, a celebration of all things Anaheim Convention Center [http://www.blizzard.com/] in Anaheim, California on October 22 and 23. "BlizzCon is a unique opportunity for our players to meet one another, strengthen the friendships they've formed online, and have a great time celebrating a shared passion for gaming together with Blizzard employees," said Blizzard Entertainment co-founder and CEO Mike Morhaime.

As in past years, U.S. fans unable to attend will still be able to take in the show through the DirecTV BlizzCon Pay-Per-View event, which will cost $39.95 and provide live coverage of both days of the show. For the first time ever, the PPV event will also be available as a multi-channel internet stream that will let viewers switch freely between coverage of different areas of the convention. The online PPV stream will run $39.95 as well and will be included at no extra charge with the purchase of the televised PPV event.

Tickets to BlizzCon 2010 will go on sale at 7 pm PST on June 2 and then again at 10 am PST on June 5 for $150 each and, according to our resident Blizzard expert, will sell out in approximately 30 seconds. For more information, check out BlizzCon.com [http://www.blizzcon.com/].

KeyMaster45

Gone Gonzo
Jun 16, 2008
ticket sales for blizzcon anger me every time I think about it, no thanks to the crappy experience I had last year with em. Scalpers go insane over this and blizzard hasn't done jack to fix it so what happens? I spend 45min in the virtual Q for them only to be told "sorry we're out" when I'm 64th in line. Such BS that we then had to go to Ebay and buy them for multiple times the price they were sold for from some fucking scalper.

Oh what's even better is when I'm at the convention I get told "Oh yeah if you want tickets to this for the actual price you have to write code for X software that constantly checks for you" or some BS like that. So thanks blizz for making it neigh impossible for normal fans who don't program to get tickets.

Oh yeah I had a great time, but for my first trip to blizzcon the situation with the tickets makes me not want to go back, why try when you're just going to be beat out by scalpers and programmers, and then be forced to encourage the practice by buying from said scalpers. Wonderful system.

Isn't there anything blizz can do to shut down the blizzcon scalpers? I don't know, ask for ID when getting your tag? God I saw an asian dude running around with a huge box of tags and goody-bags handing them out to his buyers. It took everything I had not to vault the barricades and deck his scrawny ass.

Jack and Calumon

Digimon are cool.
Dec 29, 2008
Man, Blizzard owns soooooooooooooooo much money from doing over priced stuff like this. Hell, if you go to Gamespot, you can watch LIVE E3, but we have to pay to watch BlizzCon. OUTRAGEOUS!

Calumon: I could watch TGS, you know, being Japanese and all.

Nincompoop

May 24, 2009
I'm afraid I don't have money. No, my grammar isn't poor, I just don't have money. Nah, I of course have some, but I simply can't afford this.

Cpt_Oblivious

Not Dead Yet
Jan 7, 2009
KeyMaster45 said:
A lot of events have that. Do Blizzard have a cap on the amount of tickets someone can buy at all? Or maybe you should be either a journalist or have an active Battle.net account to get a ticket. In fact, maybe make all tickets a prize in a competition for Battle.net users only?

No idea how they'd cover their costs though...

John Funk

U.N. Owen Was Him?
Dec 20, 2005
Jack and Calumon said:
Man, Blizzard owns soooooooooooooooo much money from doing over priced stuff like this. Hell, if you go to Gamespot, you can watch LIVE E3, but we have to pay to watch BlizzCon. OUTRAGEOUS!

Blizzard actually takes a loss on BlizzCon. That crap ain't cheap.

Cpt_Oblivious

Not Dead Yet
Jan 7, 2009
John Funk said:
Jack and Calumon said:

That I did not know. I now have more respect for Blizzard by doing a non-profit event for fans.

I wonder how much of last year's budget went on Ozzy Osbourne...

Jack and Calumon

Digimon are cool.
Dec 29, 2008
John Funk said:
Jack and Calumon said:

Well... I guess Ozzy does need to pay the bills and all, and renting the place might put a hole in the pocket, and of course all the food and biscuits for the Developers. Seems fair.

Calumon: Link or it never happened!

Jack: Calumon, I think we can trust him.

Calumon: LIIINNK!

Jack: Calumon, if you stop using the voice to text thing, I will give you a cookie.

Jared

The British Paladin
Jul 14, 2009
Well, that should be fun! And, I believe how quick it will sell out lol

John Funk

U.N. Owen Was Him?
Dec 20, 2005
Cpt_Oblivious said:
John Funk said:
Jack and Calumon said:

That I did not know. I now have more respect for Blizzard by doing a non-profit event for fans.

I wonder how much of last year's budget went on Ozzy Osbourne...
Jack and Calumon said:
John Funk said:
Jack and Calumon said:

Well... I guess Ozzy does need to pay the bills and all, and renting the place might put a hole in the pocket, and of course all the food and biscuits for the Developers. Seems fair.

Calumon: Link or it never happened!

Jack: Calumon, I think we can trust him.

Calumon: LIIINNK!

Jack: Calumon, if you stop using the voice to text thing, I will give you a cookie.
http://www.escapistmagazine.com/news/view/94802-Blizzards-AGDC-Keynote-We-Lose-Money-on-BlizzCon

Here ya go.

And of course, there are benefits purely beyond the financial numbers. It's a great way to ensure brand loyalty and that your fans continue remaining fans, it's a show that Blizzard gets all to itself instead of competing with noise at E3 or GDC, and I know that the Blizzard folks themselves have an absolute blast doing it - it's probably their favorite part of the year.

This isn't to say that they aren't getting anything out of it, but in pure numbers-on-the-books, they're losing money on it. But that money is well spent.

Kenjitsuka

Sep 10, 2009
Andy Chalk said:
"BlizzCon is a unique opportunity for our players to meet one another, strengthen the friendships they've formed online, and have a great time celebrating a shared passion for gaming together with Blizzard employees," said Blizzard Entertainment co-founder and CEO Mike Morhaime.
And then he whispered under his breath: "and mostly to line our massive golden purses with some more delicious money.".

I wonder how many codes for WoW junk will sell for top dollar and then some on eBay an hour after it ends? Any bets? :p

Cpt_Oblivious

Not Dead Yet
Jan 7, 2009
John Funk said:
And of course, there are benefits purely beyond the financial numbers. It's a great way to ensure brand loyalty and that your fans continue remaining fans, it's a show that Blizzard gets all to itself instead of competing with noise at E3 or GDC, and I know that the Blizzard folks themselves have an absolute blast doing it - it's probably their favorite part of the year.

This isn't to say that they aren't getting anything out of it, but in pure numbers-on-the-books, they're losing money on it. But that money is well spent.
Yea, if I either lived in the US or was ridiculously rich I'd do my best to be going on a yearly basis. At least when I played.

Stupid exams, stealing my Warcraft.

Andy Chalk

One Flag, One Fleet, One Cat
Nov 12, 2002
Kenjitsuka said:
And then he whispered under his breath: "and mostly to line our massive golden purses with some more delicious money."
See above: http://www.escapistmagazine.com/news/view/94802-Blizzards-AGDC-Keynote-We-Lose-Money-on-BlizzCon [http://www.escapistmagazine.com/news/view/94802-Blizzards-AGDC-Keynote-We-Lose-Money-on-BlizzCon]

DTWolfwood

Better than Vash!
Oct 20, 2009
30 seconds mite be a bit...long XD

quite the ways away for a 2 day event >.< o wells i just want to know if there is a beta testing coming for D3 i can opt in for :D

KeyMaster45

Gone Gonzo
Jun 16, 2008
Cpt_Oblivious said:
KeyMaster45 said:
A lot of events have that. Do Blizzard have a cap on the amount of tickets someone can buy at all? Or maybe you should be either a journalist or have an active Battle.net account to get a ticket. In fact, maybe make all tickets a prize in a competition for Battle.net users only?

No idea how they'd cover their costs though...
You can buy 5 tickets tops(which is 3 to many imo), you have to have a battle.net account to buy anything from the blizzard store. I'm also pretty sure the press gets their tickets before they are sold to the public. As for a contest the only time they did one for tickets was that year so many people rushed the blizzard store that it crashed and only a few hundred people got tickets (that's why they made the Q system)

Kenjitsuka

Sep 10, 2009
Andy Chalk said:
Kenjitsuka said:
And then he whispered under his breath: "and mostly to line our massive golden purses with some more delicious money."
See above: http://www.escapistmagazine.com/news/view/94802-Blizzards-AGDC-Keynote-We-Lose-Money-on-BlizzCon [http://www.escapistmagazine.com/news/view/94802-Blizzards-AGDC-Keynote-We-Lose-Money-on-BlizzCon]
Weird! I am not sure why they (claim to) loose cash on this gig... They sell out these tickets in a heartbeat, so making them more expensive would help them make more of a profit?
Think of Microsoft's TechEd; tickets are like 2000 bucks! (http://www.microsoft.com/techedonline/)
Thank goodness I get to go for free -hotel and airtravel across Europe to and fro are also free- as I write for many PC magazines.

Thanks for the link btw :)

John Funk

U.N. Owen Was Him?
Dec 20, 2005
Kenjitsuka said:
Andy Chalk said:
Kenjitsuka said:
Weird! I am not sure why they (claim to) loose cash on this gig... They sell out these tickets in a heartbeat, so making them more expensive would help them make more of a profit?
Think of Microsoft's TechEd; tickets are like 2000 bucks! (http://www.microsoft.com/techedonline/)
Thank goodness I get to go for free -hotel and airtravel across Europe to and fro are also free- as I write for many PC magazines.

Thanks for the link btw :)
Well, like I said above, the benefits to Blizzard far outweigh any profit they could make on tickets. They lose money on tickets, they ensure the love of 15,000+ fans. And get two days of press all to themselves.

And they also have a blast with it.

Xersues

DRM-free or give me death!
Dec 11, 2009
I don't think I've been excited about anything Blizzard since Diablo. Not an RTS fan, although I did like Warcraft 2 a lot, and WoW can burn in a pit of fire.

Really hope Diablo 3 has a nice collectors edition like StarCraft 2 does. With 1 and 2 on some kind of USB drive.

Or **Incoming negative sounding statement, because SOMEBODY pissed in my cheerios** they can come up with something new and milk something else besides two Warhammer based(like) IPs made 10 years ago. I'd be excited to hear something about that.