Report: Console Exclusives Don't Drive Sales

Andy Chalk

One Flag, One Fleet, One Cat
Nov 12, 2002
Report: Console Exclusives Don't Drive Sales

New research by Nielsen Games indicates that contrary to conventional wisdom, exclusive game releases don't actually have much of an impact on console sales.

Daisy Fuentes Pilates: [http://halo.xbox.com/] These are the games, so the thinking goes, that sell the systems. If you want to play the game, you have to buy the box and console exclusivity helps ensure you'll make the right choice when it's time to hand over your cash to the kid behind the counter at Best Buy.

Or does it? Not necessarily, according to new research by God of War 3 [http://blog.nielsen.com/nielsenwire/media_entertainment/how-much-do-video-games-matter-when-buying-a-console/], a PS3 exclusive that "was greeted with extensive media coverage, midnight launch parties at video game retailers and excellent critical reviews," and asked potential customers to rank their five most important reasons for considering the console.

Among those who said they were motivated by the desire to own a particular game, God of War 3 was far and away the number one title, but of the top ten reasons cited, interest in a specific game was at the very bottom of the list.

I want the Blu-ray capabilities - 65%
The recent price reduction has put the system in my price range - 63%
I like the library of games available - 62%
I want to upgrade from my PlayStation 2 - 62%
My friends have a PlayStation 3 and I want to connect and play games with them - 56%
I am interested in PS3's other online capabilities - 50%
I am interested in PS3's other multimedia capabilities - 49%
I am interested in playing multi-player games online via PlayStation Network - 42%
Offers that bundle a PS3 and HDTV have motivated me to want to purchase both - 36%
I am looking forward to buying a specific game - 12%

The study looked only at the PlayStation 3 (I suppose you could say it was a console exclusive) but it's not unreasonable to assume that the results would break down similarly for the Xbox 360. Exclusive games can still be an "important asset" in the decision-making process, according to the report, but "more often the game will be considered one of many reasons to acquire the console rather than the sole motivator."

Does this mean that Sony, Microsoft and Nintendo will stop throwing truckloads of cash at game developers to keep them on the ranch? Probably not any time soon. Still, Daisy Fuentes on the 360... Dare we dream?

Icecoldcynic

Oct 5, 2009
This doesn't surprise me really. The reason I wanted a 360 was because my friends all had them, getting awesome games like Halo and GoW was just a bonus. I can't really think of ANYTHING that was PS3 exclusive that would make me want one when I already have an Xbox.

Onyx Oblivion

Borderlands Addict. Again.
Sep 9, 2008
Only reason I wanted a 360 was Oblivion. The PS3 wasn't out (and the game didn't come to it until later, anyway) and my PC was shit...so...yeah. I didn't actually buy it JUST for Oblivion, but also to finally try this KoToR and Halo stuff.

That said, I'm happy with my choice. It turned out to be the RPG console of the generation. Somehow. WTF happened there?

The PS1 and PS2 were the kings of the RPGs. Now, the 360 has the most RPGs of the consoles.

WTF

Abedeus

Sep 14, 2008
Wow, seriously people buy consoles just for A game?

This MIGHT give developers a hint that despite piracy, PC market is still big enough for them to make a profit.

Kenjitsuka

Sep 10, 2009
Andy Chalk said:
Does this mean that Sony, Microsoft and Nintendo will stop throwing truckloads of cash at game developers to keep them on the ranch? Probably not any time soon.
I wish they would... Put that wasted money towards something usefull!
Like adding more free stuff or -oh dear- free to download system EXCLUSIVE DLC for multi-platform releases. But I agree with Andy, big corporations have really thick skulls so no hope for some time.

JdaS

Oct 16, 2009
I've been giving Sony my hard-earned since the PS1. It would take one hell of an exclusive to make me change that. To me, personally, which console to buy just boils down to a "not broken, don't fix" kind of approach.

Eagle Est1986

That One Guy
Nov 21, 2007
Yes but surely exclusives count towards the 3rd most popular answer, I like the library of games available - 62%. So whilst a single exclusive doesn't matter on it's own, together with other strong exclusives it contributes towards 62%. That's pretty good surely?

Sep 14, 2009
Icecoldcynic said:
This doesn't surprise me really. The reason I wanted a 360 was because my friends all had them, getting awesome games like Halo and GoW was just a bonus. I can't really think of ANYTHING that was PS3 exclusive that would make me want one when I already have an Xbox.
exactly. this whole thing was obvious, we all knew it before they even made it. i seriously dont know anyone, including myself, that buys a console for a exclusive, if im going to get it, its going to be because of my friends, or it has a shit ton of games that i want. not because of one stupid game, i can live without ONE game (unless its kotor 3, then i will die, to have that in my hands)

oneplus999

Oct 4, 2007
Andy Chalk said:
Umm okay so what about that one? It could just mean they aren't looking at one SINGLE exclusive, but several of them. Obviously at this point in the cycle no one is planning to spend several hundred dollars on a single game, they are going to take all of the past exclusives into consideration.

Edit: btw Eagle beat me to this point a few posts up :)

Casual Shinji

Should've gone before we left.
Legacy
Jul 18, 2009
I didn't buy my PS3 for one game either. I bought it for the slew of games I knew were coming (though, they certainly did take their sweet time about it). That and the whole "blu-ray, free online" whatchamacallit. Plus, I'm just a Playstation man...and a lonely exsistence it is.

TheRealGoochman

Apr 7, 2010
I didn't buy my consoles due to (blank)exclusive games coming out....I bought my xbox360 because it had more games out at the time, then I bought my wii because I was impulsive, then I won some cash during a golf game and was like you know what PS3 me up baby (but it may of involved some PS3 exclusiveness with Uncharted being involved.......eh but I did also want a bluray player)
But overall console exclusive games did not sell me on consoles (except for Uncharted lol :) ) Don't get me wrong I love the idea of console exclusive games (allows me to spread the love to all my machines with Only On 360 goodness and Only on PS3 groovyness...........and Wii Sports)

Xersues

DRM-free or give me death!
Dec 11, 2009
oneplus999 said:
Andy Chalk said:
Umm okay so what about that one? It could just mean they aren't looking at one SINGLE exclusive, but several of them. Obviously at this point in the cycle no one is planning to spend several hundred dollars on a single game, they are going to take all of the past exclusives into consideration.

Edit: btw Eagle beat me to this point a few posts up :)
This point here. Misleading statistics anyone? Who would dream! :D No one buys a "GT5 machine" they buy a Ps3, so they can play all the games on it including a game they might have always wanted to play.

Jesus Phish

Jan 28, 2010
Icecoldcynic said:
This holds true for me too. I just wanted to be able to play with my friends online and they all had 360s.

Though I will admit at the time I was close to getting a PS3 until I found out that neither GTA nor FF13 would stay exclusive to it. And MGS is about the only game it has exclusive that I would like to play, but not enough to buy a system.

Funny enough, I didnt get FF13 in the end.

Elesar

Apr 16, 2009
Ehhh. "I am looking forward to buying a specific game" is a litttle too exclusive, you might say. There's no ONE game that made the PS3 a must-have for me, but with LittleBigPlanet, God of War 3, Heavy Rain, ModNation Racers, etc, they might add up after a while.
And it was a console exclusive that motivated my purchase of a 360 (*coughMassEffectcough*)