New F.E.A.R. 3 "Point Man" Trailer Hits the Tubes

Andy Chalk

One Flag, One Fleet, One Cat
Nov 12, 2002
New F.E.A.R. 3 "Point Man" Trailer Hits the Tubes

Warner Bros. Interactive has released a new trailer for debut video [http://www.gamestop.com/Catalog/ProductDetails.aspx?product_id=77634] with another blend of live action and gameplay footage.

The new trailer features two of Armacham's most successful experiments, Paxton Fettel and the Point Man, together again and doing what they do best. There's not much insight into the story this time around, just two brothers killing guys and blowing stuff up, but it does offer a bit of a look into how the game's "divergent co-op," which lets players team up as the boys to beat the crap out of the hapless forces of Armacham security and whoever else happens to get in the way, might work.

What makes the trailer really interesting, though, is the extensive use of live-action video, which is still relatively uncommon for videogames. Warner seems to be taking F.E.A.R. 3 very seriously, going as far as to hire horror legend John Carpenter to consult on the project and giving it the sort of VIP treatment usually reserved for flagship franchises. What's next, hordes of dangerous-yet-marketing-friendly creatures turned loose upon the unsuspecting denizens of major cities?

Oh, right. [http://www.escapistmagazine.com/news/view/89395-Make-Way-For-The-FEARcats]

Onyx Oblivion

Borderlands Addict. Again.
Sep 9, 2008
I saw it earlier, I actually really enjoyed FEAR 2, unlike most people who liked FEAR 1 and hated 2, so I am eagerly awaiting this game.

But these live action trailers are horrid.

Woodsey

Aug 9, 2009
I'd take in-game/CG footage over live-action any day. Especially with those crappy effects when he walks in looking like he's on fire.

Onyx Oblivion

Sep 9, 2008
PayJ567 said:
How is a game that's supposed to be scary scary in anyway if you play a super soldier. Just rename the series already.
It means "First Encounter Assault Recon". It's not really supposed to be very scary, it just features the supernatural.

Hence the "First Encounter" part.

Brad Shepard

Sep 9, 2009
PayJ567 said:
How is a game that's supposed to be scary scary in anyway if you play a super soldier. Just rename the series already.
plus you got your ghost brother on your side that can lift anything and throw it a football field twords anything, plus im sure later on he becomes that demon thing or whatever.

Onyx Oblivion

Sep 9, 2008
PayJ567 said:
Onyx Oblivion said:
PayJ567 said:
It means "First Encounter Assault Recon". It's not really supposed to be very scary, it just features the supernatural.

Hence the "First Encounter" part.
I guess I rest my case then. I just assumed with a name like FEAR they would try to be scary lol.
Well, it could be worse. They could be named H.O.R.R.O.R.

Mr Companion

Jul 27, 2009
I have never really gotten into the F.E.A.R series before but this looks really silly. The live action footage is so bad it makes me cringe.

NeedAUserName

Aug 7, 2008
I have to say, all using live action footage does is make me believe the graphics aren't up to parr with more recent games, and they're just hiding them away...

Apr 28, 2008
If they don't make the scares PUSH X TO NOT DIE quicktime events, I may look into this game. If they are PUSH X TO NOT DIE quicktime events, then I'll pass.

the_tramp

May 16, 2008
No matter what they do with this game I am still going to be disappointed that they're calling it F3AR, there's cheesy and then there's that...

dalek sec

Leader of the Cult of Skaro
Jul 20, 2008
Woodsey said:
I'd take in-game/CG footage over live-action any day. Especially with those crappy effects when he walks in looking like he's on fire.
This, god that live action stuff looked like rubbish to me, looked like some crappy no budget action flick to me.

Jared

The British Paladin
Jul 14, 2009
I still have my doubts, bit, it's looking better the more I see

IamQ

Mar 29, 2009
1:26. It's the fucking face-less guy from Pan's Labyrinth! You know, the guy with eyes on his hands! Look at my avatar! It's fucking him!

OT: I was looking forward to the game, but this trailer seems to have forgotten the whole thing with "horror" this this horror game.

SFR

Mar 26, 2009
I too enjoyed FEAR 2... I'm not sure why people hated it so much. I found it to be better it virtually every category (level design, graphics, gameplay variation).

Yeah, these trailers aren't super great. They're not terrible, I think though, for something that you know... makes video games. Don't expect them to put all their budget into the video parts of trailers.

I really hope this game is good... I loved FEAR 1 and FEAR 2... Day One, don't mess it up! Monolith is still working with them, but it's so hard to tell how things will work out.

Sh0ckFyre

Jun 27, 2009
The lack of Monolith is preventing me from having interest in this game.

I am mildly interested to see how the co-op will work though.

hazabaza1

Want Skyrim. Want. Do want.
Nov 26, 2008
Wow, that was terrible. Notice how the guy was looking down where the gun and the scope connect, not actually down the scope? I think we need some more quality control checks.