The Empire Strikes Back, As Seen In 1950

John Funk

U.N. Owen Was Him?
Dec 20, 2005
The Empire Strikes Back, As Seen In 1950

What would The Empire Strikes Back have looked like if it had been released thirty years earlier in 1950?

Star Wars was a product of its time when it came out in 1977, as were Return of the Jedi [http://www.amazon.com/Star-Wars-Episode-Versions-Widescreen/dp/B000FQJAJG/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&s=dvd&qid=1276709456&sr=8-1-catcorr] in '83. But without question, Lucas' beloved space opera took cues from older science fiction stories, like the serials seen in the 1950s.

A Star Wars fan cut together this "Premake" (we in the industry call them "demakes" [http://www.escapistmagazine.com/news/view/100724-What-If-StarCraft-Had-Come-Out-In-1984]), showing what would have happened if Empire had been a 3D sci-fi serial released in 1950. It's incredibly camp, but it works oh-so-well - and it just goes to show you how easily Star Wars' interpretation of the classical "Hero's Journey" can be molded into other flavors.

Interestingly enough, almost all of the footage comes from actual 50s serials like Metropolis [http://www.amazon.com/Flash-Gordon-Soldiers-Conquers-Universe/dp/B00004Y2QO/ref=sr_1_3?ie=UTF8&s=dvd&qid=1276709498&sr=1-3]. It just goes to show you how much of Lucas' visuals for Star Wars drew inspiration from these older sci-fi stories, no?

I'm kind of happy with the '80s version myself, but this is awesome.

(Via Kotaku)

Katherine Kerensky

Why, or Why Not?
Mar 27, 2009
Oh [deity]... that was terrible... in a good way, but horrific to imagine.
I think we should stick with our current version...

Ossian

Mar 11, 2010
I actually think if would of still done just as well, but it wouldn't of been able to hold up as long as the originals have.

Cowabungaa

Feb 10, 2008
Hah, what a coincidence. I'm watching The Empire Strikes Back as I'm typing this post.

I'll watch this later, but if previous 'demakes' are anything to go by, this will be awesome in it's awfulness.

Edit:
Wonderful timing for a commercial break. Yeah, that's hilarious. Those AT-AT's cracked me up. And I friggin' want that Vader costume.

Deofuta

Nov 10, 2009
That was simply epic, I can not even begin to think of how they created this awesomeness.

Redlin5_v1legacy

Better Red than Dead
Aug 5, 2009
They should really make these! It is so cool! Haha, I had to laugh at the AT-AT scene. Thanks for showing us this John!

Johnnyallstar

Feb 22, 2009
Honestly, I think it would have done extremely well anyways. See, the original trilogy lived up to George Lucas' claim that (actually, let me find the quote..... *scrummage scrummage*) "A special effect is a tool, a means of telling a story. A special effect without a story is a pretty boring thing."

Sadly, the prequel trilogy proved that claim exactly true. While it was fancier and prettier than the original, it lacked the great, engrossing story, and the humanity of it. The prequel was just a bunch of special effects, and rather boring.

AWDMANOUT

Jan 4, 2010
I don't think it would be the same. Less popular.

Oh, and you do know it's the 30th anniversary this Friday? I was planning on having a party with my friends, but I have to work -_-