New York Giants Adds Gaming to Pregame

Logan Frederick

Aug 19, 2006
New York Giants Adds Gaming to Pregame

In a partnership with the Global Gaming League, the Super Bowl champion New York Giants will expand competitive gaming during their pregame shows.

The Global Gaming League (GGL) and the winners of the 2008 Super Bowl, the New York Giants, are building upon the 2007 season's Giants Game Day Live pregame partnership to launch a new online portal [http://www.ggl.com/index.php?controller=Channel&method=view&channel=126] for Giants fans. This GGL-hosted destination connects football fans and gamers in a community that will offer competition year-round. Coinciding with the onset of training camp and pre-season matches, online gaming tournaments, led by Electronic Art's Madden NFL '08, will be held on both the Xbox 360 and PlayStation 3 consoles. Players can track stats and rankings online as their season runs alongside the NFL's. The Giants will be contributing a plethora of prizes for the winning players, including tickets to home games, official Giants' gear, and NFL footballs signed by Giants players.

These tournaments will be promoted across all Giants media properties, including FOX5, the My9 television station in New York, Giants' radio station 660 WFAN as well as Giants.com.

"I put my heart and soul into cheering for the Giants over the years, and I can't tell you how ecstatic I am that they've won the Super Bowl!" exclaimed GGL Chairman and CEO Ted Owen. "They're my passion, but so is gaming. That's why GGL is bringing traditional sports to the virtual world by connecting the offline sporting experience with social networks and content communities driven by videogames. We're combining forces to bring the number one team in professional football together with the number one leader in videogaming community and content, to make Giants Game Day Live the ultimate virtual sporting experience!"

New York Giants Chief Marketing Officer Mike Stevens said, "Giants fans are increasingly utilizing the internet to enhance their involvement with each other in the truest sense of community and we are partnering with GGL to provide our fans with best-in-class videogame technology. This expanded partnership with GGL gives our fans a new conduit to connect with each other beyond Giants Stadium and not just during the season but throughout the entire year. As displayed throughout the year, Giants fans come from all walks of life and are incredibly passionate towards 'Big Blue.' This addition to Giants.com will be an extremely popular interactive fan site, enabling New York Giants fans to never have an 'off-season' again."