Sony: Apple is Way More Arrogant Than Us

Tom Goldman

Crying on the inside.
Aug 17, 2009
Sony: Apple is Way More Arrogant Than Us

Sony says it's not arrogant anymore and that it's time to attack Apple for its ego instead.

When Sony launched the advertisements [http://www.gamestop.com/Catalog/ProductDetails.aspx?product_id=68183] Sony was using you just weren't hip enough, man. Now, Sony wants to paint Apple as the company with the most balloon-like head.

In an interview with the Brisbane Times [http://blogs.brisbanetimes.com.au/digital-life/screenplay/2010/05/19/apple.html], Sony Computer Entertainment Australia's managing director Michael Ephraim said: "I don't think we are arrogant anymore. I think we can name a company that is a fruit that is in the news a lot about their arrogance, I think they have taken the mantle from us, if we were ever arrogant!"

He's obviously referring to Fruit of the Loom, which is known for being a total ass about selling underwear lately. Or, it could be Apple, the billion-dollar company that makes products everybody buys, then hates for lack of certain functionalities, but keeps buying anyway.

Despite Sony's Pete Dille admitting [http://www.escapistmagazine.com/news/view/99737-Sony-Gives-up-on-Arrogant-Ads] the company had an arrogance problem, Ephraim continued to say: "I don't think we were arrogant. We know there are a lot of challenges in this space, especially with 3D across the entire Sony group. There's no company that can deliver that like we can." You can't blame him for his arrogant-sounding confidence.

If Sony had remained arrogant, it probably wouldn't be having the measure of success it's having now. I guess going from first to last place, technically, will do that to a company. So look, gamers, Sony knows it messed up, kind of. They're got Kevin Butler [http://www.escapistmagazine.com/news/view/100173-Kevin-Butler-Proves-the-Power-of-the-Mustache] now, and it's time to lay off. According to Sony, if you want to hate a company, go hate Apple.

Via: CVG [http://www.computerandvideogames.com/article.php?id=247244]

A_Parked_Car

Oct 30, 2009
I have never been a big fan of Sony or Apple. Out of the two companies Apple is by far the worst in my opinion.

Korten12

Now I want ma...!
Aug 26, 2009
well, if Kevin Butler says so, so will I. Then again I hated apple before this anyway.

Delusibeta

Reachin' out...
Mar 7, 2010
Apple may be more arrogant, but Sony's still arrogant enough to get poked fun at.

Bretty

Jul 15, 2008
I never got the arrogant vibe from Sony? I mean, they have a right to be cocky being that they are one of 3 choices in consoles and even with the starting price point of new PS3s I wasnt able to find one in a store for almost 4 months after release (not that I looked everyday).

I think it is also a little childish to call Apple arrogant. They are a market leader in the cell phone market and have a really good niche in computing. Doesn't that entitle them to a little cockyness?

Arrogance is when John Remero put out that ad for Daikatana. All you have mentioned above is business...

(oh and I hate iPad and thought the original PS3 adds were just a waste of money)

I can't help but feeling I am told old for this place (nearly 27).

reg42

Mar 18, 2009
Never been a big fan of Sony, but they get top billing for giving me the PS3. Apple on the other hand gave me a iPod Shuffle, which was pretty rubbish, and a Mac Book which was slooooooooow, even with 2GB of RAM. It couldn't even run some of the bigger WC3 maps.

Apr 28, 2008
I've always hated Apple.

Their Mac commercials assume every PC gamer is an awkward nerd and every Mac owner is a "cool dude." I know this isn't the case, but if I see one more of those commercials I will rage.

Plus one time an iTunes update installed Safari onto my PC, without even telling me.

After that, it was good-bye everything Apple.

Ben Legend

Apr 16, 2009
Jeeze.... can we not all get along. gaming and console companies especially.
Its like being on a school playground and one company calling another one smelly.
*rolls eyes*

Hurr Durr Derp

Apr 8, 2009
Saying "Apple is more arrogant than me" is like saying "Satan is more evil than me". It's probably true, but it's not saying a whole lot.

Besides, when you're accused of something, it's probably the most childish thing possible to point the finger at someone else and go "That's not fair, they did a lot worse!"

Therumancer

Citation Needed
Nov 28, 2007
For all comments on Apple, I'm sort of hoping Sony's "new leaf" means that they will finally relent, and restore backwards compadibility to PS-3 systems. Oddly though, I don't think that their "change of heart" is likely to go beyond words and into actual demonstratable actions.

sougo13

Sep 11, 2009
Sony: 'We're terrible sorry for being such a jerk, we promise to not do it anymore.'

*points finger at Apple*: 'At least they're bigger jerk than us!'

Is it just me or there's some kind of irony in here? (and I actually like the PS3)

Croaker42

Feb 5, 2009
Sony..... Relax I have always hated Apple more than you. But you have and will always take the cake for emo-tard behavior. Just live with it and know that in spite of this behavior you will continue to sell many of your products at outrageous prices to an overwhelming number of chumps.
Huh maybe I should hate you as much as Apple
I wouldn?t want to make you cry and commit bankruptcy or anything like that.........

EeveeElectro

Cats.
Aug 3, 2008
I like Sony. But I like Apple. But which ones better? There's only one way to find out.

FIIIIIIIIIIIIIIGHHHHHHHHTTTTTTTTT!!!

Treblaine

Jul 25, 2008
Done and DONE.

If you hate Apple, support Google, they are the Anti-Apple only are far closer competitors with Android and the upcoming Chrome OS. Yeah I consider the Chrome OS a competitor to OS X as both are going for the simpler is better option, though Google is following the logic of "get less, pay less" rather than Apple's "get less, pay more" mantra.

Also hate how Apple dominates the App store and runs it like some obsessive government censorship office.

I also wonder how long it will be before Jobs does something to torpedo Steam on Mac, as he has been quite open in his dislike of gaming in the past and has been mute on it at the moment.

Point is he doesn't get a cut of Steam and I wonder how long it will take for him to try and lock it down or otherwise lock it out. I mean look at how he has treated Adobe, I think that is down to how Flash sites are basically free app-games which undermined the 30% cut he takes from every app that is sold:

Jobs: "Oh you won't miss Adobe Flash, just buy a hundred thousand different apps for every little thing and give be a 30% cut of each".

My bet is as long as Steam is on Mac he will keep Mac OS and iPhone/pad OS VERY separate so he can milk his own app store monopoly for all it is worth.

Chewster

It's yer man Chewy here!
Apr 24, 2008
Well, yeah. When your entire customer base is made up of smug, irony-spewing, Starbucks drinking, obscure indie-rock band loving, 20-something hipsters, you have no choice but to be arrogant, or else you'll alienate your entire customer base. Just look at their Mac vs. PC commercials (which really need to be renamed Mac vs. Microsoft anyway). I stopped being a fan of Apple around the time they admitted that their iPod DRM locks weren't doing shit, but they were going to go ahead and keep including them anyway.

Still, saying you're slightly better than that is setting the bar frighteningly low.