Visit Scenic, Frigid Hoth In The Old Republic

John Funk

U.N. Owen Was Him?
Dec 20, 2005
Visit Scenic, Frigid Hoth In The Old Republic

Star Wars: The Old Republic will let players venture to the icy planet of Hoth. And nobody was surprised.

Videogamer has revealed [http://www.videogamer.com/news/exclusive_hoth_is_in_star_wars_the_old_republic.html] that the snow planet of Hoth will be a visitable location in BioWare's upcoming Star Wars: The Old Republic MMOG.

Now, it's true that Hoth - or more precisely, the Battle of Hoth from The Empire Strikes Back - has been featured in pretty much every Star Wars game ever by this point, so it's not too much of a surprise, is it? But given that the Hoth of SW: TOR is a good few thousand years or so before Janson took that Good Shot and the snowspeeders tripped up the AT-AT walkers, BioWare had some free reign to give its own history on the wampa-infested icelands.

Writes Videogamer:

[blockquote]In The Old Republic, Hoth has no allegiance, no government, is contested by players from both factions, has frozen desolate wasteland terrain and is littered with wreckage from a major battle of what's called the Great War.

According to Star Wars lore, Hoth was of no real interest to the Republic until it became the site of a devastating military defeat. At the height of the Great War, Republic and Imperial fleets clashed in the Hoth system in a decisive battle which saw the destruction of some of the most advanced and powerful starships in the galaxy.

In the aftermath of the battle, Hoth became a massive starship graveyard, littered with the wreckage of hundreds of warships from both sides, including several prototype ships the Republic had deployed in the hope of turning the tide of the war. As the war raged on, though, neither the Republic nor the Empire had the time and resources to mount a recovery operation.[/blockquote]

Both Empire and Republic are interested in salvaging the wreckage of their fleets, and so Hoth has become a bitterly contested territory - a hot war in the middle of a very cold place, if you will. Don't forget, the odds of surviving an unprotected night out on Hoth are approximately seven hundred seventy-five ... to one.

Better bring a Tauntaun to slice open.

Check out screens and artwork at the Videogamer reveal [http://www.videogamer.com/news/exclusive_hoth_is_in_star_wars_the_old_republic.html].

Jared

The British Paladin
Jul 14, 2009
Well nice to see they have included an old favourite! Although, as noted not surprised lol

Vanguard_Ex

Mar 19, 2008
Awesome! I love snowy places in MMOs, it's why I was so attached to the dwarves in WoW...until I became a Forsaken through and through.
THAT'S RIGHT, FUNK.
FOR THE HORDE

Eleima

Keeper of the GWJ Holocron
Feb 21, 2010
Oh now that is sweet!!!! The more I hear about "The Old Republic", the more excited I get... Once again (that statement might not actually be correct, TOR predates TESB, but... let's not get into the timeline/release date debate), there will be epic battles on the surface of the ice planet of Hoth!! Tauntauns better run and hide!

Apr 28, 2008
So I assume this will be the PvP zone then?

Sounds sweet. But this could also mean some epic loot is scattered about... also sweet!

Drakmeire

Elite Member
Jun 27, 2009
Country
United States
Hoth Tour:
now if you look to your right you'll see snow and a bunch of mountains
and on your left you'll see snow and a bunch of mountains.

and straight ahead are some enormous AT-AT imperial walkers with enough firepower to wipe out an entire base... we should probably turn around now.

DTWolfwood

Better than Vash!
Oct 20, 2009
"Better bring a Tauntaun to slice open." Or dont be a mook like luke (Hah rhythms) and get sucker punched by a yeti! XD

Shoggoth2588

Aug 31, 2009
Wait a moment:

I was under the impression that Hoth was actually Ruusan, renamed in the memory of the Jedi General Hoth who died in the final battle of Ruusan against Kahn's Brotherhood of Darkness. The thought bomb which Darth Bane tricked Kahn into using imprisoned several dozen Jedi and Sith in a singularity together which will last until the end of time and killed every force sensitive person within about 5 kilometers of it. The negative energy of the thought bomb combined with the intensely negative energy caused by such grand battles between the two armies warped the planet's climate, bringing about a swift and, permanent ice age.

wait, when does this game take place again?

Jack and Calumon

Digimon are cool.
Dec 29, 2008
Here are my thoughts through reading this.

John Funk said:
Writes Videogamer:

[blockquote]In The Old Republic, Hoth has no allegiance, no government, is contested by players from both factions, has frozen desolate wasteland terrain and is littered with wreckage from a major battle of what's called the Great War. So it's Wintergrasp from WoW made big?

According to Star Wars lore, Hoth was of no real interest to the Republic until it became the site of a devastating military defeat. At the height of the Great War, Republic and Imperial fleets clashed in the Hoth system in a decisive battle which saw the destruction of some of the most advanced and powerful starships in the galaxy. Wait, if it was no interest to them, then why do all this to get it back? It's a waste! Why not spend it on something more worthwhile like Colonising Endor.

In the aftermath of the battle, Hoth became a massive starship graveyard, littered with the wreckage of hundreds of warships from both sides, including several prototype ships the Republic had deployed in the hope of turning the tide of the war. As the war raged on, though, neither the Republic nor the Empire had the time and resources to mount a recovery operation. The lesson here kids is just because it's there, doesn't mean that you need to have it. If you don't need it, you may lose alot of fancy ships, awesome people, and alot of morale from your people.[/blockquote]
Calumon: This is all REAAALLLYY Silly.

thethingthatlurks

Feb 16, 2010
Very cool indeed, but why pray tell would anybody commit any forces to conquer that resource-less, unpopulated iceball of no strategic value? I mean it's nice for fans (like me), but pretty nonsensical as far as warfare is concerned

JourneyThroughHell

Sep 21, 2009
And that's pretty awesome.
I actually hope they would stop announcing those because every time they do, I start dreaming about playing the game. Torturers.

Raqshiem

Jan 31, 2010
Shoggoth2588 said:
Wait a moment:

I was under the impression that Hoth was actually Ruusan, renamed in the memory of the Jedi General Hoth who died in the final battle of Ruusan against Kahn's Brotherhood of Darkness. The thought bomb which Darth Bane tricked Kahn into using imprisoned several dozen Jedi and Sith in a singularity together which will last until the end of time and killed every force sensitive person within about 5 kilometers of it. The negative energy of the thought bomb combined with the intensely negative energy caused by such grand battles between the two armies warped the planet's climate, bringing about a swift and, permanent ice age.

wait, when does this game take place again?
SW:ToR is set in 3,626 BBY, or 27 ATC, whereas the Battle of Ruusan spanned 1,002 BBY to 1,000 BBY.

I myself have not read the Darth Bane books, which is, I'm assuming, where you're getting your information from, so you might be right concerning the naming of the planet. According to Wookieepedia, however, Hoth and Ruusan are two totally different planets; the only correlation that I can see is that Ruusan is located in the Hoth's Brand system [http://starwars.wikia.com/wiki/Hoth%27s_Brand_system], in the Teraab Sector. According to the wiki, most of the stellar bodies of said system were in fact named for the Jedi who participated in the Battle of Ruusan.

Space Jawa

Feb 2, 2010
Dagnabbit, is there any game that planet won't show up in? That planet's got a bigger prescience in the Force than Tatooine!

Omega V

Apr 21, 2010
hmmm, I'm actually a little disappointed by their decision to include Hoth, I was really hoping they would use Rhen Var instead. Hoth was chosen for the rebel base specifically because it was uninteresting and of no consequence to anybody.

John Funk

U.N. Owen Was Him?
Dec 20, 2005
Vanguard_Ex said:
Awesome! I love snowy places in MMOs, it's why I was so attached to the dwarves in WoW...until I became a Forsaken through and through.
THAT'S RIGHT, FUNK.
FOR THE HORDE
Banned.

GundamSentinel

The leading man, who else?
Aug 23, 2009
"And I thought they smelled bad on the outside."

Now they just have to have Vjun, Despayre, Mandalore and Honoghr and I'll tick the 'definite purchase' box for TOR.

Shoggoth2588

Aug 31, 2009
Raqshiem said:
Shoggoth2588 said:
SW:ToR is set in 3,626 BBY, or 27 ATC, whereas the Battle of Ruusan spanned 1,002 BBY to 1,000 BBY.

I myself have not read the Darth Bane books, which is, I'm assuming, where you're getting your information from, so you might be right concerning the naming of the planet. According to Wookieepedia, however, Hoth and Ruusan are two totally different planets; the only correlation that I can see is that Ruusan is located in the Hoth's Brand system [http://starwars.wikia.com/wiki/Hoth%27s_Brand_system], in the Teraab Sector. According to the wiki, most of the stellar bodies of said system were in fact named for the Jedi who participated in the Battle of Ruusan.
I'll accept that and yes, my info came from the Darth Bane books. I wonder then, if Ruusan will be a planet we can visit